1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is a Primitive Baptist?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sopranette, Sep 6, 2007.

1. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Yes, terms can be so misleading, can't they? Here, baptist churches that believed that only those people who had been baptized as believers should partake in the Lord's Supper were called "Strict Baptist", but when I first came across that term soon after I was converted, I imagined the pastor in a Strict Baptist church standing in the pulpit wielding a cane! There also used to be a denomination here called "The Peculiar People", but of course the term was used in the sense of special, not odd, rather as in 1 Peter 2.9 in the AV/KJV:

But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: ​

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

When the Lord was pleased to have me on mission in South Africa I came to know of a Church who called themselves "The Invisible Church" which local pastor was strainging to understand the meaning. :tongue3:

3. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Primitive Baptist

Primitive before Baptist means original, the Primitive Baptist came from the Regular Baptist some have roots in the Seperate Baptist other from the United and some of the Eastern Churches have roots in the Particular Baptist who many took the name Regular.When did Baptist start using musical insturments in worship?Who was the originator of it? Did early christians practice this custom? Does the New Testament support it? Was it of Roman Catholic orgin?Did the early Reform leaders support it? Calvin etc...Or even John Wesley?What about Charles Spurgeon who is so often quoted? I think a good study on the matter is much needed today.If this was the practice of the original Baptist then the Primitive Would be wrong in placing such a title before their name ,if mission boards and Sunday Schools were the original practice or accept the Lord theolgy then the name is wrong but if they are preaching and practicing the original faith and practice of the Baptist, then the name suits them. Just some thoughts to ponder Elder Slone