1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is an "African American"?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Joseph_Botwinick, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I'm with Jimmy C. Call people what they want to be called. For whatever reason people with black skin wished to be called African American so what is the big deal.

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I don't have any problem with calling a person what they choose to be called. When I was a tiny child, black people were Negro's. When I got a little older, it was Colored People. Next there was African American and Blacks. What ever makes a person 'comfortable' is fine with me!

Just a few days ago I had someone question why I mentioned that a couple who came to church, on my invitation, was a bi-racial couple. That's a very common term here for a mixed race family. In fact, the young couple had told me they wanted to attend a church where their bi-racial daughter would not be the only bi-racial child. My using that 'term' was done in a loving way but was perceived to be other.

I'm English, Irish, Chocktaw Indian and German Jew. I would never feel the need to use all those terms to introduce myself but CAN understand how a black person might include information such as 'I am an African-American mom of 3' or 'I'm a 56 year old black man'.... when including information where they aren't being seen. I openly tell all of you that I'm short, small and 53. If you come to Atlanta to meet me you certainly wouldn't expect a 5'9" woman who is 26!
    [​IMG]
    Diane

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Hmmm, here in Orange County, CA, most people are mixed race of one form or another. There's no majority race or ethnicity here. Everyone's less than 50% of the population. If we referred to someone as biracial, we'd be referring to pretty much everyone. [​IMG]

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Whoops double post by accident!

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I think we'll see that nationally within a few years but this is a tiny town in the deep south. We're 35 miles and 200 years from Atlanta!

Diane
    [​IMG]

6. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No matter what your ethnic race, somebody is going to be "RACIST" toward you. There are slime-balls in all areas of society. For purposes of this thread, let's agree to exclude them, OK?

That being said, for all practical purposes, race is becoming less of an issue with most people, and would soon become a non-issue except for those who CONSTANTLY throw up the race issue; even where no obvious reason to do so exists!

Look how the race card was played in O J's trial; the statement of Sen (the guy from Miss.); the Rodney King incident; etc., etc., ad nasuem.

On a personal note, I find that even as I begin to forget the skin color difference, along comes somebody like Jesse, or Al, or some white liberal, who injects race into almost ANY white/black situation not so warrented, thus engendering feelings of resentment on my part towards a group of people who, in reality, had nothing to do with the given situation! If and when I become aware enough to see the facts for what they really are (ie: no liberal spin!!??), I can disregard those feelings and once more feel positive towards those I just felt animosity for.

Unfortunately, too many people, too many times, never become aware of the cause of their resentment, thereby supporting the race-baiters in their divisive attempts.

If enough people would tell the Professional Racists to "stuff it", just maybe, except for those few mentioned in the opening paragraph, "RACE PROBLEMS" would cease to exist!! [​IMG]

7. time like this

time like this New Member

What is an "african american"this is a god question. First we should refresh ourselves with the history f te people who are described by this phrase. Historicaly it is a person of african origin brought to this country as a slave only then they were called "ni--er". Over a period of time and much struggle the legl system which govenerned them decided what they should be labeled as ex..colored,negro,ni--er etc,etc till we come to the term in discussion today "african american". In working with these inner city youth many ask the same question you ask. They have know ties to any particular country in Africa at the same time they feel as though there is no real place of integrity of heritage for them to cling to that fosters a strong sense of being in this country. Africa is a continent not a country. Some of your response are honest and at the same time sad. I once confronted a street preacher who proclaimed all "white people" as the devil. A little girl looked at her father and asked him if they were going to h-ll because they are white. After debating with this group of people that division on this level has nothing to do with the reconcilation of the gospel of Jesus Christ. This encouter ended with people on different ethnic sides tossing racial slurs in my direction. Was MLK without flaw?certainly not. But at the same time he was not a plagued upon society unless you agree with the spirit the politics of that time. Are there others who could be honored? sure. But should this an be dis-honored for fighting for political leaders to honor Godly priciples of loving their brother as themselves. With so many false doctrines in his country I wish for this generation sake we could get past vintage biasis, so racial hate groups can no longer take ur children prey at their own will. What is an "african american"? someone waiting to be called what he/she is first a person.

8. Gib

Gib Active Member

I was a Dothan-Alabamian, but now I'm a Brunswick-Georgian.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting topic and appreciate the diversity of views. Good to have a civil discussion on this.

Have a friend (1 day older than me) who was born in Palestine 1948, a couple months before the establishment of Israel as a nation.

He is a PALESTINIAN by definition. But such a label would be ludicrous. He calls himself a "sabra" (Hebrew for "cactus").

So I would opt to call folks by the title THEY select. I refuse, by principle, however, to call anyone a "hyphenated" American. You come to America, your are an American, ethnicity apart.

"Don't really care if your ancestors came over on the Mayflower or on a Slave Ship. We're all in the same boat now."

10. Sigedakru

Sigedakru New Member

It seems to me as long as we have labels,
    we will have racism.
    When we can look at our brothers and sisters,
    and see not the color of thier skin,
    but rather see a creation from GOD
    and a fellow human being then racism will die.

But that`s only going to happen when JESUS comes back.

Every race has their racist,
    there is hate on all sides of that war,
    and nobody wins. Unless they can purge hate from their hearts.

I`m Cherokee/Irish/Dutch,i was born in the USA,
    so i`m an American no more no less.(i just labeled myself)

May God Bless.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr Bob, as usual I agree with you (no, I am not setting you up to ask for something [​IMG] )
    however, is there one execption we should make: how about the folks who were here when Columbus "discovered" America. They really are not Indians, so are they the execption - Native Americians?

May I take a moment and tell you a true story? First I must mention I am a Caucausin-Americian, oops [​IMG] I mean white. A few years ago I was at the Pulaski, Va; YMCA. I was in the gym shooting a few hoops. Three guys wanted to get a pick-up game together. They challanged myself and two others in the gym. The teams were selected. Since, I did not know any of the other players, I recommeded that one team be "skins" to identify the team. The captain of the other team looked at me and said "If you didnt notice the three of us are black, and you three are white!" :rolleyes: I think I can honestly say I am color blind! [​IMG]

Dr Bob, how about this, instead of saying Africian-Americian, why not say "I am an Americian of Africian descent"?

12. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :D :D :D :D

The Democrats (and in particular JJ's) WORST nightmare!!

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If evolutionists are correct, then everyone is "African" in origin, so "African American" applies to everyone who is an American. If they use that language in "affirmative action" policies, I would like to see whites, orientals, and others make state unversities and other institutions stand behind their evolutionary claim.

14. Brett Valentine

. . . and thus we see the stupidity of the "hyphen-American" classification. Regardless of color, if someone was born in Africa and came to America, they are African-American. That is their "immediate" nationality. . .

Brett (an African-Jamaican-Scottish-German-etc.-Native American. . . sigh. . .)

15. Brett Valentine

. . .I guess that makes you a Naturalized-Southern Californian-American-who used the [​IMG] icon

. . . :D . . . no, really, no thanks necessary. . .

Brett

16. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    by JohnV:
    Uhmmmm. Uhmmmmm.

Uhmmmm. Lemesee:

Paper-American ? [​IMG] (just kiddin'.)

17. Precepts

Precepts New Member

I would agree, and being it is you that is remarkable in it's own universe, but to prompt universities to stand behind their evolutionary claims, from a Christian? :rolleyes: