1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is/are the main role(s) of a pastor?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jan 20, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Expository Preacher?
    Counselor?
    Sunday School Teacher?
    Administrator?
    Discipleship Maker?
    Shepherd?
    Evangelist?
    etc..

Lots of pastors out there with lots of unique styles. I can cite the 9 Marks of a Healthy Church which are.

(1) expositional preaching, (2) biblical theology, (3) a biblical understanding of the good news, (4) a biblical understanding of conversion, (5) a biblical understanding of evangelism, (6) biblical church membership, (7) biblical church discipline, (8) biblical discipleship and growth, and (9) biblical church leadership.

However not everyone agrees with the above, and those that do not fit into the 9 Marks will argue that they do and so forth. I have been in churches with pastors that were great at discipleship, administration, sunday school teaching, but were not the best preachers, as they ignored Biblical theology, and or preaching on much outside of the theme that "God wants to serve you and fulfill your dreams." However they did not see it that way, and would argue that they were great preachers. And I have been in churches where the pastor was a great evangelist, but a bad Sunday school teacher, however they never saw it that way. Each has a unique style and gifting. I am always impressed when a pastor freely admits his weaknesses, but this does not normally happen. Some conflicts may be due to styles and preferences, and others Biblical issues.

Perhaps the best pastor I ever had was pastoring a Reformed Bible church and the man was filled with grace & compassion, but he was also very bold for the truth and was not afraid to step on toes and refute the false teachers. He sometimes would send letters to newspapers, organizations, and other churches and tried to reason with them. He would set the example by engaging the cults in conversional apologetics, and taught us to do likewise. Men that came into sunday school to engage in debate and or promote their heresies he refuted in the class, and never dismissed the false teachers as most do as they cannot deal with the problem.

So what say you?

#1 evangelist6589, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014