1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is Biblical Humility & what is spiritual arrogance?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Dec 7, 2013.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah he does know how to push buttons, but WinMan is not interested in learning, only attacking. Like my wife attacked Calvinists last week, and was not interested in the least of reading a book, or even a few pages in one. It was not until the pastor defended non Hyper Calvinists that helped her. Some just want to attack, but do not want to learn. If WinMan bought theWasher book that would be great, but I think the man is afraid he will become a Calvinist if he honestly read the book.

The Gospel Call and True Conversion

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

The same is true of mitchell. Inflammatory comments to sow discord, and name calling.

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to fight him, and even once sent him a attacking email. I was like this just after I left BJU, as he is unpopular at BJU. But when I went through WOTM at a certain church, and started reading, and listening, my heart changed and I started to love Washer.

But the HUGE difference between me and WinMan is that I was willing to READ books, and LISTEN to sermons. WinMan will not do this. I wanted to give him a honest chance, and the Lord changed me as a result.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They need prayer... Reformed have much grace and do not divide.

5. preacher4truth

I agree with that about the prayer part, as I need it also. Reformed are solid in preaching and doctrine and expose error. They will divide over error but yes, there is much grace among them. :thumbs:

6. preacher4truth

You should also read his book The Gospel's Power and Message.

I'm glad to hear of the grace of God upon you to change your heart and lead you into truth. I've had a similar experience. It takes God for this to happen. Matthew 11:27ff

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually what I do is point out the pure hatred of some cals like yourself toward those who disagree with you. The attitude and venom in your posts as well as some others is what I am talking about.. You act like you do nothing and turn around and accuse others of the very things you do. And you as well as a few others is why some have stopped posting on this board.

Somehow you believe your doctrine excludes you from having to watch how you say things. Claim you have doctrines of grace does not mean that you can speak to people any way you want to and it be excused.

You and a few others are as mean spirited as one can be. It matters not if your doctrine is correct. If you want to see someone who needs to grow up go look in the mirror.

8. preacher4truth

Your accusations are completely baseless. You broad brush and what you really need to do is take a look at yourself.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like you (although I am not from Ohio) I am calling a spade a spade. Sound familiar?

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

I have watched Paul Washer on YouTube many times, and I assure you I will NEVER become a Calvinist from listening to him or reading his books.

You don't get it, it is the word of God that convinces me that Calvinism is pure error. I will never be a Calvinist because it is not what the scriptures teach, it is FULL of serious error.

And yes, I attack Calvinism, because it is false doctrine and should be withstood. The scriptures command us to contend for the faith.

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

My response is just that, a response. Evangelist is the one who attacks "easy believism" whatever that means. The scriptures show it is very easy to believe on Jesus;

Jhn 4:39 And many of the Samaritans of that city believed on him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did.
    40 So when the Samaritans were come unto him, they besought him that he would tarry with them: and he abode there two days.
    41 And many more believed because of his own word;
    42 And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.

Here we are told the Samaritans believed on Jesus simply because the Samaritan woman at the well told them he had told her details of her life no man could possibly know.

Is this saying that they had to confess Jesus as Lord to be saved? No, not one word to that effect. What they did have to believe is that Jesus was the promised Messiah or Christ that they knew from scripture.

And that is exactly what we see in verse 42. when they heard Jesus himself they were even more certain that Jesus was the Christ, the "Saviour of the world". Now that is important, it shows what a person must believe to be saved, they must believe that Jesus saves them from their sins. These persons believed that and were saved. They did not have to promise to make Jesus lord of their life.

Truth is, if anyone sincerely believes Jesus is the Son of God, they are going to obey him.

Salvation is easy, it is believing that Jesus died for our sins to save us.

12. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

Not defending your actions or attitude EVERY time another believer suggests you are prideful or arrogant, but rather soul-searching to see if they aren't correct.
    Denying you might have any pride issues and offering an exonerating explanation for your actions or posts whenever someone says that you are or appear to be prideful.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

If someone sincerely asked Jesus to save them, then yes, I believe they are saved.

And are you saying that only those who said a simple prayer turned to false religions? I guarantee you there are many persons who lived a very devoted life to Christianity that turned to false religions. They "showed evidence" that they were believers and yet turned away.

Jesus told us there would be tares with the wheat. A tare looks remarkably like the wheat, they are almost indistinguishable from wheat in appearance.

This tells us that many false converts will ACT like the real thing. They might go to church every time the door is open, read the Bible every day, they might even stand in the street and yell at folks to repent!!

14. preacher4truth

That remark seems directed right at you John.

Shameful behavior.

15. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well look, I am not going to characterize your position with phrases like "easy believism" but I disagree with your position.

Rom 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Mat_10:38 And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

Both Paul and Jesus made it clear that there is more to true faith in God than just giving mental assent to His existence. As has been said often even the demons have faith in God that He exists and died on the cross.

Zaccheaus immediately had a changed heart and his life immediately showed that changed heart. He restored the things he did wrong to people and gave to the poor.

The rich young ruler believed in Jesus, wanted salvation, and went to Jesus for salvation, but refused to commit to Him his life. He walked away sorrowful of his own choice.

I do not know what you really believe. And you seem to falsely tie the idea of Lordship to works. As one who holds to it I can tell you this is a false and offensive characterization. If you would set aside your objection and simply look at what folks like myself are saying you might learn something about us you do not really know.

What I believe actually happens is once folks like yourself decide other are wrong, in your mind, then you go blindly into further discussions for the sole purpose of being right and proving others wrong. And quite frankly you come across as mean spirited as some others at time.

You wanting to be right and wanting to prove others wrong will only ever lead to false characterizations, means spiritedness, and only talking past each other.

Let's try to find a better way to do this.

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

I don't need to read Paul Washer to know what Lordship Salvation is. I don't know how old you are, but it is likely I knew about Lordship Salvation before you were born. There is nothing new about this doctrine.

There is nothing "crystal clear" about believers. If a person were to have judged Samson by his behavior, no one would believe he was saved. He was disobedient to his parents and took a non Jewish girl as wife. When she displeased him he simply walked away and abandoned her, then changed his mind and forcibly took her from another man later. He gambled, and because he lost a bet he killed 30 men and took their coats. He went to a prostitute on a regular basis.

Does this sound like a saved man? NO, but Samson was saved and is included in the "Hall of Faith" in Hebrews chapter 11.

Lot is another person that you would think was lost from his behavior, he sought wealth and lived in a wicked city full of sin for economic advantage. He would have turned over his very daughters to the men of the city, and later he had relations with his daughters because he was so drunk he didn't know what he was doing. Yet we are told Lot was a true believer in the NT.

You should be careful who you judge to be a "false" convert.

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

I do not pretend to be nice, I FIGHT against what I consider error. I am not trying to be nice.

But my goal is not to convince others I am right. You may not believe that, but that does not interest me at all. Oh, I want to be right, and I pray constantly that the Lord would reveal his truths to me and keep me from error, but it is not that I desire to be superior to others. That doesn't interest me at all.

No, I want to know God's truth so that I will not be in error, and so that I could also tell others the truth. But I have no need for glory at all.

If you read the scriptures you will find many men who did not live like Jesus was Lord of their life, yet they were saved. Solomon married many wives and turned to idols, yet he was saved. David committed adultery with a married woman and had her innocent husband killed in battle. Noah got drunk after the flood and lay in his tent naked.

All Christians sin at one time or another, some live more holy lives than others, but it is impossible to truly know who is saved and who is not from appearance. If someone tells me they trusted Jesus Christ as their Saviour, I tend to believe them, even if their life is not perfect. Who am I to judge them?

19. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And there you have it. I would suggest that there are some others who see it this way as well. And this attitude is what causes offenses.

And this shows you do not understand what you call Lordship salvation. Although I have shown clear scripture and you ignored. You do not seem to understand what it means to call Jesus Lord. It has nothing to do with being sinless or perfect.

By the way when you light a candle when do you expect it to show light, right away or half way down?

Are we not supposed to be a light for Christ?

#60 Revmitchell, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013