1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is dispensationalism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by christianyouth, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where is the problem. The House of Judah was present at the time of Jesus. The House of Israel had scattered among the Gentiles (Hos. 8:8) because of her Harlotry(Jer.3:8), perhaps even becoming Gentiles. The Messiah shows up at the fulfilled time(Mk.1:13) to make the New Covenant with the House of Israel and the House of Judah. The House of Judah was in Jerusalem and the land of Judea, Jesus sent His disciples to the House of Israel (Matt 10:23 & 15:24). Thus making the New Covenant with the House of Israel and the House of Judah.

So the New Covenant was established and inaugurated but not made. Word games, yet you accuse me of “lack of exegesis”.

Is Zech 12 all to occur within the same general time-frame?

May I borrow your Scofield glasses to help my exegesis?

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The NC says they will be given a new heart, etc. ... meanign regeneration. That did not happen when Jesus came. Jesus sent his disciples to teh house of Israel and of Judah, but they didn't repent ... They didn't get the new heart that the NC promised.

Yes. The new covenant was made in Jeremiah. It was inaugurated at the crucifixion, but it has not been fulfilled or completed. You should be familiar with these distinctions, particaurlly given the fact that you have such a strong position on it. To arrive at such a strong position, surely you are familiar with these basic disctintions.

'
    Generally, speaking yes. There is no reason to see it spread over a long period of time, though that is not particularly destructive to the fundamental idea.

No since I don't have any. I am not a big fan of Scofield. But a normal hermeneutic--literal, grammatical, historical hermeneutic will get you there.

3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Really? Who made up the early Church? No one in the New Testament recieved a new heart?

Zec 12:10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

John quotes this verse and says it was fulfilled:

Joh 19:36 For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken.
    Joh 19:37 And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced.

We agree,no reason to see it over a long period of time.

Like Revelation 1:1,3? What is the “literal” interpretation? Or perhaps the one I gave, John 19:37? Or will I receive the stand by “Double-fulfillment” card?

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The early church was made up of Jews and Gentiles. And yes, they received a new heart. But the NC was with the nation based on a national repentance. That is hte part you are missing. Furthermore, it also involves a restoration to the land.

Notice that John only quotes half of it. Isn't that significant? Where is the other half? In Rev 1, when Jesus returns. Those who pierce him (which was undeniably the Jews) will be those who look on him in repentance (which must also be the Jews).

I thought you were asking about the surrounding of the cities and the nations gathered.

No, I reject double fulfillment. Not sure what the confusion is with either verse. If you ask more specifically I will tell you what I believe about it.

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

Grasshopper

Larry is right, GH. In fact, do you know in Rom 11 where is says, "and then shall all Israel be saved?" That is talking not only about living Israel but the resurrection and salvation of all the OT saints of Israel!

Indeed, when they are resurrected, they will be resurrected indwelt as if by birth (their "rebirth") by the Spirit. Essentially, they will be as Christ was in His earthly ministry (that's why He said, "I AM the resurrection!" Look at Christ and you see an OT saints MK body!).

It's not "double fulfillment" but similar fulfillment for church vs. Israel. Peter quoting Joel 2 at Pentecost left out the portion that was NOT fulfilled completely. The church is NOT in bodies as Christ had -- completely indwelt/controlled by the Spirit of God.

Do you see the partial fulfillment thesis?

skypair