1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is "ENCOUNTER"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by labinsk, Sep 23, 2008.

1. labinsk

labinsk New Member

I was invited by a friend to go with him to "encounter" I really dont know what happens there and should any baptist be enterested in something like that, can someone explain what is "encounter" what kind of movement is it, and what exactly happens there?

Your brother in Christ.

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Never heard of it. Link?

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

I am familiar with "Encounter Groups" as a form of psychotherapy. Is that what you mean?

Basically with encounter groups you have a group discussion about whatever problems someone is experiencing and the group helps the individual through their collective ideas. This can be seen today in everything from AA to "small group studies." The biggest problem of course comes when the group has no absolute standard and no outside reference. A group that uses the Bible as their foundation may be great but often groups like this fall into moral relativism and are ineffective.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I would stay away totally. Even Christian "encounter" groups are often using teachings and techniques from a non-Christian worldview.

If it's non-Christian, for sure don't go.

If your friend is a believer and says this is a Christian group, ask him for more info. If he can't give more info or says he can't or shouldn't, don't go. It might be one of those human potential things and they are secretive about what they do because they like to surprise people and upset them with their techniques.

It's a big red flag if you can't info on the group or what they do before you attend, so I would stay away if that's the case. You have a right to know about them.

5. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Really, it could be anything. Just a name that a good church fellowship has come up with regarding a particular service or ministry.

Here are the 1st two that came up when I googled it....

http://www.christianencounter.org/

http://www.youthencounter.org/

But it could be something problematic. I'd just go and check it out. If its no good, just let the stuff go in one ear and out the other, then go home and forget about it.

If its good you might get a great blessing!

:godisgood:

#5 Alive in Christ, Sep 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2008
  6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I tried to edit my post and my Internet connection got messed up, then I couldn't get the BB website to come up. So below is what I wanted to change my previous post to say:

I would be wary. Even Christian "encounter" groups are often using teachings and techniques from a non-Christian worldview.

If it's non-Christian, for sure don't go.

If your friend is a believer and says this is a Christian group, ask him for more info. If he can't give more info or says he can't or shouldn't, don't go. Encouter groups come from psychotherapy methods in the 60s and 70s that are based partly on human potential and New Age teachings. Typically, they try to upset you so you get "shaken up" and break down. They think this is a good thing.

It's a big red flag if you can't info on the group or what they do before you attend, so I would stay away if that's the case. You have a right to know about them and what they do.

I can't imagine a Christian "encounter" group - I can't think of biblical support for bringing a stranger to such a group. Do you want to tell total strangers about your life and problems? I wouldn't.

7. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Why don't you just ask your friend who invited you what it is?

8. dan e.

dan e. New Member

brilliant.