1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Faith/Belief?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Joshua mentioned a number of topics for discipleship classes. This one caught my attention:

What exactly IS "faith/belief"?

Is faith/believing a "work"?

What role does it play in salvation and everyday life?

2. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Faith is a wholehearted acceptance of the word of God. Abraham's faith is described thus, "Being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform." There are three elements of faith revealed in this statement:

1. The word of God came to Abraham. Therefore the hearing of God's word must precede faith. "Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God."

2. Abraham accepted God's word as God's word. It would have been no less God's word had Abraham rejected it, but his acceptance of it is what allowed him to have faith in it.

3. Abraham not only recognized that the word was God's word, but was fully persuaded that God was able to perform that which He promised.

No. "Therefore to him that worketh not, but believeth on him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted unto him for righteousness." And, "It is of faith, that it might be by grace."

1. Faith in the claim of Jesus to be the Christ promised from the beginning of the world andthat His sacrificial death and subsequent resurrection are the only grounds for forgiveness of sin and impartation of eternal life is the sole condition for receiving the gift of the new birth and eternal life. As Jesus said,

"If you believe not that I am he, you will die in your sins."

2. Faith in the practical instructions of God's word will lead the believer into practical obedience to the commandments of God. Faith in the overall presentation of God and His promises in His word will lead the believer into a fuller understanding, appreciation of, and rejoicing in Christ.

Whereas all we know of God (excepting His existence which is witnessed through the creation), His promises, and His Christ is found in the Scriptures it is not possible to have saving and transforming faith in God apart from a knowledge of Christ as revealed in the Scriptures. As Paul said,

"Now unto him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, but now is made manifest and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: to God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen."

Amen!

Mark Osgatharp

3. latterrain77

latterrain77 New Member

Hi Bob. Regarding the second question, the way I see it, salvation is a result of CHRIST's faith, not human faith (Gal. 2: 16, Philippians 3: 9). Accordingly, I believe that human "faith" is a work. At best, it's an "evidence" that Christ's faith has already saved us.

On the other hand, Grace is NOT a work. Quite the opposite, Grace is a "gift" (Eph. 2: 8). A gift by definition is something that is received "unearned" without any work. If even the slightest amount of "work" is involved in receiving a gift, then it is no longer a "gift."

Finally, many believe by their own faith, but not by Christ's faith, and these ones remain unsaved (James 2: 19, Matt. 7: 22-23). Thanks! [​IMG] latterrain77

4. Graceforever

Graceforever New Member

Faith is accepting what God says, simply because God said it….

5. RTB

RTB New Member

I believe I copied this from Barnes' commentary on a Bible study program I have. But I liked what it stated about faith. The commentary was on Hebrews chapter 11.

“So wherever true faith exists, there is a readiness to abandon the hope of gain, and brilliant prospects of distinction, and fascinating pleasures, in obedience to the command of God..”

In Christ

Ronnie

6. manna

manna Guest

Ephesian 2:8= for by grace are we saved through faith and not of ourselves, it is the gift of God.

Hebrew 11:1= for faith is the substance of things hope for, the evidence of things not seen.

7. Primitive Baptist

Primitive Baptist New Member

I heard a Reformed Presbyterian say on the radio once that faith is our enjoyment of God's provision. I think that is a good definition.

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Hmmmm.... That sounds to me like the author is saying that we'll believe in God if He gives us what we need. Faith is MUCH MORE than that!

http://www.quotegarden.com/faith.html

9. Primitive Baptist

Primitive Baptist New Member

By provision is meant His salvation.

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

No, faith isn't a work the person does. If you see an apple on an apple tree you don't have faith that it's an apple through any fault of your own, an apple is an apple and simply by being an apple it proved the truth to you.
    Don't compare this to oranges. Ok?
    Gina

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Grace is not works, or it is no more grace.

Faith is the work of God, which HE gives to me. So when I do something by faith (as a regenerated child of God) it is NOT ME OR MY FAITH. It is Jesus working through and in me.

Galatians 2:20