1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is going on at FBC Colleyville (TX)?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gtbuzzarp, Mar 14, 2006.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If one keeps his eyes and ears open he will hear and see more than he wants or ever thought.

What we are seeing in the SBC today, I believe is just the tip of the iceberg.

2. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

The SBC itself has had difficulty with executives in denominational agencies and expense money, and also the issue of giving lucrative business contracts to relatives at higher rates than if they had asked for bids.

We need to be careful about throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but I think there is something in the accountability system that needs to be adjusted. The leadership in the SBC apparently comes from a relatively small clique of individuals, mostly mega-church pastors, who, back in the late 70's early 80's used the SBC's way of conducting business to get themselves elected to offices that are incredibly powerful in terms of controlling what the denomination does, and particularly deciding where the multiple millions of dollars in missions money is spent. These leaders made a lot of noise about doctrinal purity, and subscribing to a particular set of doctrines as the reason for them to step in and make corrections, and got elected.

I would assume that the level of trust for holding a denominational office or paid staff position would be pretty high, especially considering the almost absolute power that is concentrated in the hands of a few. As an attorney, it is mind-boggling for me to imagine that the president of a corporation can name, literally without hindrance or accountability, the committee which will appoint all of its trustees and that it is virtually a lock that the convention delegates will rubber stamp the list. Then, those trustees have the power to reward the president who got them appointed by giving him and his closest friends the high paying, high powered denominational executive positions. In a secular corporation, with that kind of set up, the corruption would be absolutely incredible.

There's an old saying. Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Seems like this might be coming to pass in the SBC.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

while this wasn't your intention, I'd be interested in talking about the use of traditional congregational lead polity as opposed to elder-led (pastor appointed) polity in these situations.

interesting the Lord Acton (he who uttered this phrase) was talking to religious leaders when he said this :laugh:

4. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

And, pray, how were leaders chosen before the '70s and '80s?

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am completely amazed that a lawyer as well as a christian would be comfortable with that kind of public statement. I am interested to see the evidence of such an accusation. Surely you wouldnt make such a statement without clear and observable evidence.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The president of the SBC was viewed as a man of integrity not a way to get things done. Today it is politically motivated.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is easily validated if you want. If you read the SBC papers you will soon find out how many are related to each other especially when trouble happens. The truth comes out over time.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you study history you might be surprised to find that some were not Christians. For example Jefferson did not believe the miracles in the gospels. He was a deist.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

We are in agreement again.