1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Gossip?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sopranette, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is obviously a close relationship between 'gossip,' 'rumor,' and 'hearsay.'
    My take would be:
    Hearsay-- repeating of a claimed fact or incident not witnessed or directly known by the one telling
    Rumor-- informal report told from an unofficial or unreliable source, likely repeated
    Gossip-- revealing of personal, particularly sensational, claims-- true or alleged-- about another person for the purpose of defaming the subject's character

2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Railroad: Depending on the context, we use "railway", "rail", "train" or nothing at all. An example for each: "Hornby was a company that made model railways." "Last time I went to London, I went by coach. Next time, I will go by rail." "Last time I went to London, I went by coach. Next time, I will take the train." "I need to get to the station quickly." (Unless the context demands otherwise, "station" = "railway station").

Sidewalk: Pavement, path, or footpath.

Condo: (in the sense of an apartment within a building) flat or apartment (in the sense of a building containing individual apartments) a block of flats.

I suppose if we want to take this further, we should start a new thread.

Happy New Year!

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

All the above categories sure 'sound' like gossip, I'd say, personally.

Ed

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Don't the English residents also speak of 'roads' as being 'carriageways', there?? Just wonderin'. BTW, my asking of this question tells me I need to make a correction to an unrelated post I made, in another forum.

Ed

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Ed, I am taking the liberty of starting a new thread for this, with the title "Differences bewteen British English and American English", on the "All Other Discussions" forum. I'll answer your question there. I hope that is OK with you - I just thought that we were getting away from the subject of this thread.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I said, there is definitely a 'relationship' between these 3, but they need not overlap in all cases. For example, to say "I heard it's snowing in Kansas City today" would be hearsay to anyone who has not been there and seen it snowing, and it might qualify as a rumor. But would it be gossip-- scripturally forbidden as a sin-- to say that?

PS: It may depend on perception, but if an 'official' report from the National Weather Service siad it is snowing in Kansas City today, I think that would then make it otherwise than a rumor.

#26 Alcott, Jan 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2008