1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is happening to Dell?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ben W, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

It doesn't sound like it, really:
    It seems their customer service isn't very good, but the product seems ok.

3. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

The product is going down hill too.

My old dell has lasted many, many years. In fact, it still works.

My new office dell lasted less than 2 years before the Hard Drive had to be replaced.
    That is about the fourth one on our office that was replaced within 1 to 2 years.

We used a Dell PowerPoint Projector, it worked for two weeks before requiring replacement.

Our service tech says that they are considering dropping the contracts with Dell because they're so frustrated with the new Dell lines.

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I'm sorry to hear that as they have been reliable in my office (perhaps two thousand regular pc users) and in my home (2 Dells out of 3 working computers)...so far.

I've never used an Apple (in the article they had an 85 score, the highest, as opposed to Dell's 74, down from 79)...I wonder if our next should be one.

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Harddrives seem to have generally become less reliable. The performance and capacity have greatly increased, but there has been a trade-off. Most harddrives used to come with a three year warranty, now one year is the standard. But the cost of harddrives has also come down. Dell doesn't make the harddrives in their systems, they are OEM equipment supplied by another manufacturer. They may need to be more picky about what they put in their boxes though.

6. The Harvest

The Harvest New Member

I like Dell's computers but I can't stand their tech support. I can't understand what the people are saying to me and they can't understand me. Outsourcing is not a good idea. I gave Dell some feedback not too long ago and told them I would not buy another Dell until they moved their tech support back to the U.S.

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I like that idea [​IMG]

8. The Harvest

The Harvest New Member

Call it my one man protest, I guess. Ha! [​IMG]

9. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

In various computer magazines here there are Dell computers at very cheap prices for delivery direct to your door, these are marketed quite heavilly. Yet it seems to me that buying something that is made to come down to a price is not a good idea. Sometimes the cheapest quote is not the best quote so to speak.

For a computer brand to be successfull, I think it is paramount that you are providing customers with hardware that is going to be reliable in the long term. Dell need to have another look at this if they are going to survive.

10. Rocko9

Rocko9 New Member

I have had the worst time with Dell trying to communicate with its customer service. I do think it is despicable that they would outsource and use thier Muslim employees as buffers between them and the customer base. Yes their computors are good at least I have had good luck with the one I have, but even so, I will not buy another Dell.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is the difference between Muslim service with Dell and buying gas from Muslim countries.

12. Rocko9

Rocko9 New Member

I don't know about getting gas from muslim countrys but the Dell corporation know that they are going to get complaints and rather than to deal with it personally or even deal with it at all they use techs and phone reps from middle eastern countries as buffers , not that they can resolve any issues but Dell just wants the money to keep pouring in, they could care less if you are a satisfied customer if they did care and I am only judging by personal experience they would have responded to my e-mail complaints.
    You can find out more about other peoples problems with Dell by going to this site.
    http://www.ihatedell.net/

13. delly

delly New Member

gb, the difference is we as individuals don't have to talk to Muslim countries about our gas problems, but we do have to talk to Muslims (or East Indians, or Chinese, etc.) about our computer problems and it would help vastly if they could speak better English.
    I've had this Dell 8100 for five years and wouldn't trade it for any other name brand. I love Dell. We have two in our office and they are so much better than the other brands we have. I haven't had any dealings with Dell Support and I've not had any problems with my Dell.

Harvest, I like the idea of telling them I wouldn't buy another Dell unless they move their support back to U.S. I think we should do that with all companies who have out-sourced their support. Don't you just hate to have a credit card problem and have to talk to someone that you can't understand and they can't understand you.
    Even the phone company is doing it to us. U.S. companies seem to have no regard at all for their customers, They eagerly take our money then expect us to put up with their foreign babble. I think we should all contact the heads of these companies and tell them what we think about it.
    delly

14. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

HMMMM... It seems I am one of the rare people who had an excellent customer service experience with Dell, excepting the communication issues.

I purchased a laptop and a projector which included a free screen. The screen was a budget priced type.

Somehow the screen portion of the order got cancelled and when I called the rep who helped me with the order, (a Texan) I got rude treatment and was summarily ignored. I called their customer support department (In India) and they sent me a screen that was priced at close to the price of the projector, at no charge. They were very polite and efficient.

I worked at another large direct marketer of Computers and related products, and Dell's customer service( in my experience and from customer feedback) is the main reason that Insight is losing market share to them.

Get past the poor english and the loss of American jobs and you have a cheap workforce to maximise profits and....

15. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

----------------------
    Big difference between "give me 20 bucks on pump #2" (with a dead panned stare ahead response), to, Hey dude, I just got a Dell, and it just crashed. Can you help? (And getting a response you cannot understand).

16. One View

One View New Member

I would suggst to anyone wishing to buy a computer, to buy from a local reputable computer shop rather than a big corporation such as Dell.

You'll spend a few extra dollars but you'll know where your money is going. But that's my thing against big corporations squeezing the little guy.

17. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dell useta have an excellent custserv. Gateway still does. I shelled out the dough for lifetime support, and so far, so good. Shoot, they've even called back to see if everything's OK.

How about H-P? Does anyone use their custserv?

18. MsGuidedAngel

MsGuidedAngel Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    wow weird to say the least!! I own a Dell, my good friend from Massachusetts helped me buy it in 2002. I really Like my Dell a lot!!!

I have had No Problems with it at all! Sometime Computers Just Get better, maybe that is why Dell is going down hill, I certinaly don't need a new one right now.

19. Lamin Dibba

Lamin Dibba New Member

Personally, I've never had to deal with Dell CS because my Dells have always worked. [​IMG]

Our office currently has 2 Dell desk tops as well as a note book. We also have a Dell data projector. All work extremely well and are much faster than other brand computers I have used.

In a previous ministry position, we had 2 Dell desk tops that never had any problems either.

On the other hand I've used 2 Toshiba notebooks that were junk. Continual problems. :(

My only real complaint with Dell is that the machines that they have on sale at low prices never have had what I needed in the way of software and features. I've wound-up buying a more expensive machine that way. Maybe that's why I've gotten good results . . . you usually get what you pay for.

If I can afford them, I'll continue to buy Dells.

Every blessing,
    LD

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Haven't needed Dell CS, but when I recntly bought two new computers they were fantastic to deal with. Got everything I needed for far less than the online price.