1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is Happening to This Site?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rolfe, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Good for you, JamesL.

Family is always the highest priority.

I do not nor will I ever be critical of a man who is attempting to support the family and working their best to do so - even changing geographically.

There is a matter that I perhaps may differ from others.

If I did have to go (for example) to Mexico, I wouldn't expect the country to pledge allegiance to the U.S. flag, demand bilingual education and literature, expect to be served in a bilingual way in the government laws and court, nor expect to be housed, fed, healthcare, and free tuition just because I came illegally.

In short, I would desire to be assimilated into the culture and laws of that country, and then as I saw perhaps a better way, give my opinions in such as way as not to offend nor seem puffed up.

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Explain why you would refuse to go through the legal channels. You did not say 'if I could not afford to do so'.

#22 Alcott, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2015
  3. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the PC folks have perhaps turned it into an ethnic slur.

Here is another example.

"Poncho"

The term was/is used even in the food service and restaurants (I think they family split may have caused most if not all of them to no longer exist).

Some time back, it was a term used for anyone of Hispanic decent on a job site.

A "poncho" is a grease slicker. Designed like a raincoat to protect the body in inclement weather.

"Poncho Villa" (José Doroteo Arango Arámbul) originally came from a villiage "Francisco" and he was also called "Fancisco Villa"

I find it very peculiar how some want to "cleanse" the terms to fit their own personal likes and dislikes.

Use "poncho" now on a job site, and your liable to swallow your teeth.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Incorrect. We don't get to decide for another ethnic group what is or isn't derogatory.

What does it mean? Why is it derogatory? I have heard the term but didn't realize it was offensive.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This board had a reputation for being intolerant, shrill and every other adjective long before I ever joined. Groups have come and gone and there has always been the same level of contention. In fact not one single person complaining about it right now are innocent of the very same things they are complaining about.

There is no one who is complaining in this thread who has not been adversarial and contentious in an aggressive manner toward someone else on this board. It is the height of hypocritical to find your own pet peeve to act offended about and the pretend that there has been some change on this board.

#25 Revmitchell, Aug 30, 2015
  6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are most correct, Rev.M.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, probably everyone has posted aggressively. But the OP is about attitudes and beliefs concerning illegal immigration and racism. The prevailing position on BB has been and still is to deport illegals. Only recently has there been calls to shoot them.

I believe this is Rolf's complaint and why he posted.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So called moderates taking time to bash an complain about conservatives and the way they post. Give me a break.

By the way, I didn't see anyone start a thread complaining about anyone supporting the blacklivesmatters groups who are calling for and instigating slaughtering cops. I suppose that doesn't meet the "high standard" for a reason to complain by moderates.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK but that does not show a change on the board. Their posts are unconsciencable. However, this board has had groups of people come and go over the years. At one time there was an influx of Catholics who were very cotentious most of them were banned.

Then there was a group related to the Millenial Exclusionists. They were all banned.

It is not a change and the number of people who said that very stupid thing are only a few. That view does not have broad support and is not evidence of some sort of change on the board.

Anymore that supporting an organization that slaughters unborn children, or calls for the slaughter of cops.

Seriously, picking out this one issue is suspicious at best.

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without evidence I cannot say otherwise, but cite at least one thread and 2 or more (you made it plural) calls to shoot illegals. I don't remember reading them.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting, you did not start a thread complaining about those who support organizations that slaughter unborn children or support racist groups like blacklivesmatters that call for and engage in the slaughter of cops.

12. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your point being that because I did not mention them, I approve of them? The implication is ridiculous.

My OP was about immigration and racism and what I have perceived as change in attitude toward them. Nothing more.

Ed. To add: I have a reason why I limit my comments about the murder of police officers.

13. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I learned a long time ago that being a "moderate" here is just putting a target on your back for the rabid reactionaries that dominate political conversations (if you can call it that, and you can't.)

That is why I avoid current events and politics, sticking to a handful of forums that the bullies avoid because they would be required to put some thought into their posts there.

14. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably because the "guy" that does that is shouted down by the majority pretty quickly. That isn't happening with the ethnic slurs. In fact we have people (in this thread too) trying their best to rationalize it like it's okay or flat out joining in with the slander. Willful ignorance and false comparisons aren't helping.

#34 Use of Time, Aug 30, 2015
  15. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I first joined the board in 2003 under the handle BlessedHopeBoy. It seems to me that the moderation isn't nearly as tight as it used to be, which means that ad hominem attacks are used more frequently now, and derailing posts are not reined in.

The attitude may or may not be different, but the moderation is not nearly as tight.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before I joined in 2006 I used to see warnings on other forums about Baptistboard and the FFF forum. The warning was you do not want to go over there they will eat you alive.

The contention on this board has always been here. There was more moderating going on in the past but even a few mods were treated poorly and they left because of it.

Someone saying something outrageous like illegals should be executed on the spot is extreme, unChristian, unnecessary, and without merit. However, off an on over the years there have been people who have said other things just as extreme. They come and go. It is not a new event nor is it change.

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where I went to high school, "wetback" was what you called mexicans. Didn't matter whether they were legal, or how they got here; didn't care.

Explain it away all you want; the term is racist.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is definitely a pejorative.

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (For clarity - I wasn't speaking to Rev. Adding my personal opinion)

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't think you were.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.