1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is His Name?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by standingfirminChrist, Jul 15, 2008.

1. standingfirminChrist

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Jesus said to baptize in the name of the Father, From Old Testament we know the name of the Father is Jehovah.

and of the Son
    From the New Testament, we know the name of the Son is Jesus

and of the Holy Ghost....
    What is the name of the Holy Ghost?

Now, before anyone tries to accuse me of modelism again, I am not teaching modelism.

Scripture says 'and of' in that verse indicating that there is a name for the Holy Ghost.

I am curious if anyone has ever found a name in the Word of God for the Holy Ghost.

#1 standingfirminChrist, Jul 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the scripture speaks of someone's name, they are speaking of someone's character, power and authority, not simply the moniker by which they are identified.

In modern English usage, this meaning is preserved only in a few places, such as when someone mentions that another person "has a good name" when referring to their character.

So instead of searching for a "name" for the Holy Spirit, live and minister in the power, authority and character of the Spirit.

3. standingfirminChrist

I think it is a valid question. The fact that Jesus said in the name of tells me there is a name for the Holy Spirit.

Was just curious as to if any had thought about it and searched it out.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Hmm. Interesting topic.

Here are some of the names of the Holy Spirit that I can think of.

Spirit
    Spirit of Christ
    Counselor
    Helper
    Comforter
    Wind
    Breath of life

I know there are more, but right now I'm too lazy to look them up. :p

5. standingfirminChrist

Actually, those are not names, but attributes.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ok. Then His name must be Holy Spirit. :)

I'm not really sure on this one SFIC. I will admit my ignorance. :eek:

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am with you on this one.

8. standingfirminChrist

I do live and minister under the authority, character and power of the Spirit.

I just was interested if anyone had pondered the name since Jesus indicated He had one.

9. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe most people don't think that "Jesus indicated He had one." That's completely missing the point of the teaching.

If we are to interpret the verse in the very limited way you have, then Jesus is prescribing a formula, almost an incantation, that we must use when we baptize people. We must utter "Jehovah/Yahweh" (the Hebrew word was not spoken so we actually don't even know what vowel sounds to use with JHVH / YHWH), "Jesus" and an unknown Holy Spirit name. Since we can't be sure we are pronouncing the name for the Father (actually, I'm not sure we can claim YHWH exclusively for the Father), and we don't know the "name" for the Spirit, all of Christendom's baptisms since Jesus uttered those words are invalid.

Of course, I don't believe that for a moment.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word name can indicate authority. In the authority of ...

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Jeff... The holy spirit name is Jeff...

I guess the Spirit of Truth... Jn 16:13

Or YHWH which is the Spirit of Jehovah

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The 'name', if you will, of the Holy Spirit is exactly the same as the name of the Father and the Son - any and all the 'names' and titles of God, as each of these personages is, in fact, God.

The appelations of 'Father', 'Son', and 'Spirit' refer to the self-attributed 'station' of each personality of the triune Godhead, for one example.

While-

The 'name' of 'Jesus', for example, means 'Yeshua is my savior', or 'YHWH is salvation', for another example.

Ed

13. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree with the above responses that Jesus is talking about baptizing with the authority of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in the verse in question and not about any particular string of letters that we can call them.

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You scared me Bro Ed, I was wondering how I could be so wrong about YHWH. I might be missing what you mean by YHWH is salvation but I found this in Ungers.

Scriptural Designations (Heb. rûah, ’elohîm “Spirit of God,” or rûah, YHWH, “Spirit of Jehovah”; Gk. to pneuma to hagion, “the Holy Ghost,” or “the Holy Spirit”). Frequently the term is simply “the Spirit,” or “the Spirit of the Lord,” or “the Spirit of God,” or “the Spirit of Jesus Christ” (Matthew 3:16; Luke 4:18; John 14:17; Acts 5:9; Phil. 1:19).

As for the OP SFIC, not like him to be a drive by poster... Must be a mid week service.

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Stupid double post!

#15 EdSutton, Jul 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2008
  16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

By "YHWH is salvation", I was merely inserting the English rendering of the Hebrew tetragrammon into the phrase for the name of Jesus (or Joshua, or Yeshua) as to the effect of what that exact name means. Implying nothing about you (or anyone else, for that matter) being "wrong", as I was somewhat freely rendering it.

Ed

17. standingfirminChrist

So the people who baptize "in the name of Jesus" are not necessarily wrong? That is, unless they are Oneness Pentacostal teaching modalism?

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Here are four verses I found in the OT from www.blueletterbible.com:

Exd 6:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by [the name of] God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Psa 83:18 That [men] may know that thou, whose name alone [is] JEHOVAH, [art] the most high over all the earth.

Isa 12:2 Behold, God [is] my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH [is] my strength and [my] song; he also is become my salvation.

Isa 26:4 Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH [is] everlasting strength:

Jehovah would be the closest I could find, I guess. We have God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost.

1Jo 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Any way you cut it, when you talk of the Trinity, it is all God. This may not be exactly what you are looking for SFIC, but I hope this helps.

Willis

19. belvedere

belvedere Member

Cool!!! :laugh:

20. DrRandyGrace

DrRandyGrace New Member

Not cool. I assume it was not meant in a disrespectful way, but I would be very careful about referring to almighty God as "Jeff". This discussion reminds me of some of the heavier discussions in religious history. Discussions as: How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? Or, can God make a rock so heavy that even He cannot lift it? In the end, it is a pointless discussion. IMHO.