1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Hyper-Calvinism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by BobinKy, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

We have some Primitive Baptist brothers (and maybe sisters) here at the BB. They may properly be called Hyper-Calvinists. They will, of course, reject that description. I disagree with them, but they are not heretics.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have only seen a few statements that were mis-guided in the hyper direction. It can happen as we are all learning and many times on a message board many of us are somewhat self taught and might be prone to mistakes that more learned persons might avoid.
    Again...a non -cal thinks anyone who believes the scripture on God's decree, predestination, election, are hyper.
    Winman...when was the last time you refered to yourself as one of God's elect? have you ever used the language about yourself?

Winman,
    good movie reference:thumbs:

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Tom, than you seriously dont understand the differences between PB & Hypercalvinists. Perhaps you should get together with Kyredneck since he lives in Kentucky so he can address this with you up front & personal.

4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

My definition on one being a hyper cal is that person will believe that God determines directly ALL events, has a single Will, no determinitive/permissive Will going on

person will say "elect get saved/period" no need to evn witnes/evangelise/missionaries!

5. JesusFan

Agreed...

Hyper cals/Arms drift either into heresy or REALLY close to it...

believe that cals 'see things" better from the scriptures, more true to Biblical theology, but that Arms are also able to contribute to discussions with some valid points, and both sides preach the same Christ and Gospel.....

6. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

This is it in a nutshell. Unwillingness is what I see here, and among God's people, unwilling to give Him all the Glory? This is quite perplexing, especially when the honor and "rights" of man is fought for v. Gods Glory.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The PBs I'm associated with agree with Benjamin's definition (post #8), "My definiton of a hyper-Calvinist is a "Hard Determinist".

On the other hand, if you believe those that hold to 'immediate regeneration' are 'hyper', then yes, PBs fit your definition.

[edit] As someone else said (might've been you), "Everybody to the right of me is 'hyper'.

#27 kyredneck, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011
  8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good cliff notes version :thumbs:

The irony is...there are those who maintain God will save an infant or baby (sans faith) in some other way (another dispensation of salvation)...yet vehemently deny the hyper label.

Anyone who holds to Augustinian original sin while maintaining God saves all infants would fall into this camp, no? It appears this is the majority of calvinists I have come across.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You really do think so? I remain unconvinced that the vast majority of Arms dont blend divine sovereignty with human capability evidenced by their complete belief that the efficacy of the atonement does not rest on Christs saving work alone but also on the sinners faith & repentance. Although Gods grace is attractive and persuasive, it is not powerful enough to triumph over those who stubbornly resist His love. Then add to that that it's questionable whether or not a saved Christian will preserve to the very end.(RIGHT!) Although these are distinct doctrinal issues, they are linked by a common concern to downplay predestination so as to allow human beings to determine their own spiritual destiny.

Now with Calvinists, the starting point for any system of doctrine is the greater glory of God. Our soteriology is to glorify God for His sovereign grace.

See the differences?

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes indeed ....through Mercy!

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to define that better IE "Hard Determinist".

12. JesusFan

Nope....

Hypers would say that the infant is regenerated by act of God elective grace applied to them...

others would see it as God "by passing" them in the sense that the death of Christ reconciled them back to God, paid for their state of being found in 'original sin" but that until they reach age of accountibility to God, he will not hold that against them... So the Cross has atoning power to forbade them until personally responsible to god, then need to personally place faith in Jesus Christ!

13. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

EWF,

Unashamedly, I don't blend it, I say it. Salvation (IMO) is a blending of God's offer of grace and our response to that offer in faith. And I will state again, this in NO WAY impugns the sovereignty of God (again IMO).

14. Allan

Allan Active Member

This has been defined by known and respected Calvinists from Mongerism and Spurgeon.com and been talked about in this thread

15. JesusFan

This is what confuses me in this discussion!

I hold that faith itself is NOT a work we add to salvation, thats it required by God...

its just that man is NOT able to provide that as part of what God requires, so he enables us to be in a state/condition where we can receive the Gospel message and exercise saving faith in Christ,,,

Ist that the standard cal way of viewing it then?

16. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is what the majority of calvinists believe on this;

17. Allan

Allan Active Member

I'm not sure 'why' you asked the question but ... yes, it is the common view that faith is not work. I'm lost though as to what you question is specifically remarking to.?

18. Allan

Allan Active Member

I'm not sure I'm following you.. are you saying that we are 'not' saved by faith.. ie.. faith has nothing to do with our salvation.

Additionally, please note that the blood of the Cross in not imparted to anyone apart from faith for it is by faith the propitiation is applied man - Rom 3:25 (maybe I misunderstood you there as well)

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "We" [who can understand words/faith] are saved by God's grace alone. Part of the "salvaiton package" is our response to regeneration = repentance and faith.

But there are some elect who cannot understand, who are mentally incapable or, an infants, not developed yet to know the left from the right.

They, too, are saved by God's grace alone. Their response will, of course, be different than the "we" who can repent/believe. But they are nonetheless regenerated and bound for eternity with God.

20. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Hebrews 5:
    13 Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.