1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what is hypocrisy

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by sharpSword, Apr 15, 2004.

1. sharpSword

sharpSword Guest

Why does God deliberately mention hypocrisy as something not of His wisdom and therefore not to be found in His people?

Is having hypocrisy the same as being doubleminded or is there a difference?

Luke 12:1 In the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable multitude of people, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.

James 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

James 1:8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Friberg Greek Lexicon:
    05394 hupocritis, ou, o strictly, an actor, stage player; fig. in the NT, as a moral or relig. counterfeit hypocrite, pretender, dissembler.

UBS:
    06279 hupocritis hypocrite, one who pretends to be other than what he is

Louw-Nida:
    06637 hupocritis, ou pretender 88.228
    88.228 hupocritis, ou m: (derivative of hupocrinomai 'to pretend,' 88.227) one who pretends to be other than he really is - 'hypocrite, pretender, one who acts hypocritically. 'when you fast, do not put on a sad face like the hypocrites' Mt 6.16.

Liddell-Scott:
    41460 hupocritis, ou(hupocrinomai) an interpreter or expounder, Plat., Luc.
    II. one who plays a part on the stage, a player, actor, Ar., Plat., etc.
    2. metaph. a pretender, dissembler, hypocrite, N.T.

Also:

http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/choice/1082210788-2187.html

http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/c/1082210012-30.html#16

http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/words/5/1082210061-4280.html

If you learn how to use the www.blueletterbible.org site you will have a host of Bible tools to call upon whenever you need help.

HankD

3. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

SS stated: Is having hypocrisy the same as being doubleminded or is there a difference?

hankD gave us a definition of hypocrisy:

06279 hupocritis hypocrite, one who pretends to be other than what he is

definition of double minded - strong's #1374

1) double minded
    a) wavering, uncertain, doubting
    b) divided in interest

If hypocrisy is being someone you are not - and double minded is being divided in interest - to me they are in the same category if not meaning the same thing.

In other words, if we say that we are the children of God, but our words and actions are not held to His standard of righteousness, but are done out of our own attitudes, feelings, and emotions, then we are in fact hypocrites or double minded in our ways.

Prov 6:16 These six the LORD hates; yea, seven are hateful to his soul:
    17 a proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
    18 a heart that plots wicked plans, feet hurrying to run to evil,
    19 a false witness who speaks lies, and he who causes fighting among brothers.

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Hypocrisy: The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness. An act or instance of such falseness.

definition of double minded - strong's #1374

1) double minded
    a) wavering, uncertain, doubting
    b) divided in interest
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think that a weak or unlearned person can be double minded because they don't really know WHAT they believe and sway with the wind. A hypocrit basically lies about what they believe. VERY CLOSE in meaning tho.

Revelation 3:15 I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. This, to me, is a double-minded person.

I'd MUCH prefer debating or discussing an issue with someone who disagrees with me than someone who makes it up as they go along. Wishy Washy irks me!

Good question tho!
    Diane

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most biblical use of the word "hypocrisy" is in relation to pretending to be concerned when one's motives are ulterior to the given act(s). Praying long prayers and 'tithing mint and dill' are examples of acts people do to present themselves as pious.

But I think the best and most contemporarily relevant example in NT scripture is the hypocrisy of Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5. They kept back some of the selling price of their land and laid the rest of the proceeds at the apostles' feet, as if they were giving the entire proceeds, as Barnabas and others had done. Their motive was presenting themselves as greatly concerned about the growing fellowship, when in reality they were doing as little as they thought they had to in order to be counted among the 'gold level' of givers. So as an infection is dangerous to an infant, the first judicial act of God in the NT church was ridding the infant church of the infection of hypocrisy.

But in the more general case, hypocrisy is something that is expected in human relations. Almost all parents teach hypocrisy to their children. They are taught to say "please" and "thank you" and "I'm glad to be here" and "I'm glad to meet you" when they usually don't mean these things and they often mean the opposite. Older children and adults continue in these ways, and we usually think we have to say things we don't mean in order to get along in the world. Did we mean absolutely everything we said in the interview that got us hired where we work? If you're in sales, did you mean absolutely everything you said to your last 10 potential customers? If you're a minister, have you ever told 'your' church that it's a wonderful fellowship, when really you know it's quite average, if not worse?

Hypocrisy is more a 'standard' everywhere, including our Christian relationships, than we normally realize (IMO).

6. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

Good perspective, Alcott.

Is hypocrisy an attitude - one that justifies actions/behavior towards others based on self righteous standards? I am thinking of the publican and the pharisee.