1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is it Charismatics believe?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Plain Old Bill, Apr 13, 2004.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

1 Timothy 4:16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

1 John 2:3-5 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
    4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
    5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

A true believer, one who is born again, will have that desire to study God's Word. That is how God communicates with us--through His Word. We know His commandments by the study of His Word. 1Pet.3:15 also says:

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

We are to know God's Word so well that we are able to give an answer to every man that asks a question or reason of the hope that is in us. There is no excuse for not knowing what the commands of the Lord are; no excuse for a believer to not be familiar with the teachings of Jesus. All that one has to do is read the Gospels. You can do that in one night.

Salvation is not dependent on works. It is not dependent on "repenting from all my sins." That is a misconception, and it is an impossibility for anyone to do. Salvation is based on faith in the substitutionary work of Christ on the cross. "For by grace are ye saved through faith and that not of yourselves. It is the gift of God; not of works lest any man should boast."

Repentance is a change of attitude toward God. I repent from my old sinful ways, and I repent unto God. That is I change my attitude toward God. I was once living a sinful life for the world and the devil; now I will be living a life of holiness and Godliness for Christ my Saviour.

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Change, for a new believer, does not come all at once, but gradually. We change slowly--growing in grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ. The gifts of the Holy Spirit mentioned in 1Cor.12 are totally unnecessary for this. However as we grow the Lord will give us the fruit of the Spirit mentioned in Gal.5:22,23

Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

This is what we should all be striving toward.
    DHK

2. time like this

time like this New Member

DHK
    Jesus fulfilled whole law at calvary and during the last week of his life as far as sacrifice for sins. Man can not do this in himself. However a man must acknowledge his sins are in the way of his relationship with GOD. In the spirit of a person there has to be an acceptance of GODs word and moral character. If this principle is removed you will have a nation of people beleiveing sin is ok. look at Luke 13:3,Acts 2:38.

3. time like this

time like this New Member

When we show people verses that say beleive in GODs word, are we explaining what that word says about GOD and about our separation from him? This is not an attack but recently this question was asked of me. The person knew the scripture said to trust in his word, they reconize Jesus as the savior, but have no idea what GODs word is or what they should follow no idea of what Jesus fulfilled. They claimed to be saved lived in fornication drank, liquor, lies. They were told all the should do is beleive Jesus is Lord and died for their sins. This greatly saddens me.

4. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

Was that Creflo Dollar?

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have encountered many Charismatics with this type of problem, mostly because they are relying on an experience (like speaking in tongues), rather than the message of the Bible (the gospel) for their salvation. You cannot be saved unless your salvation is based on the Christ of the Bible. The moment a person is truly saved, the Holy Spirit enters that individual and begins to change that person.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
    11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

1 John 3:8-9 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Those that are saved do not live lives of sin. They do not continue in a pattern of sin. A man (or woman) who is truly saved; his life will show the fruit of the Holy Spirit (Gal.5:22,23), not the works of the flesh.

Take into consideration the Great Commission (Mat.28:19,20).
    Go, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you; and lo I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.

The Great Commission involves teaching. It involves discipleship--not only winning a person to the Lord, but discipling them, baptizing them, and then teaching them some more. Thus there is no excuse for knew believers not to have a minimal working knowledge of the Bible if we are carrying out our duty--discipleship.
    DHK

6. atestring

atestring New Member

Charismatic Chaos

Hope that helps.
    DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]So if John Macarthur says it, That must mean that it is settled?
    Should we build a shrine to Johnny Boy?

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

John MacArthur researched the history out and wrote it down on paper and posted it. The same history can be found in dozens of books and/or websites. What would you like to do? Contrive your own history? History is history. There doesn't have be a bias against MacArthur just because he posts the facts of history. Check it out for yourself if you are so skeptical.
    DHK

8. atestring

atestring New Member

DKH&lt;
    There are other books that give documented history besides those by Johnny Boy.
    You might try reading a book by Eddie Hyatt entitled 2000 years of Charismatic History.
    Another Book by Vinson Synan called The Century of The Holy Spirit.
    A few others are
    They Speak With Other Tongues by John And Elizabeth Sherrell,
    Nine O Clock in the Morning by Dennis Bennett,
    Quenching The Spirit by Ron DeArtega.
    Awakened By The Spirit by Ron Phillips.
    You will find that Johnny Boy is not all knowing or omnipresent.

9. atestring

atestring New Member

Correction. The Book Quenching the Spirit was written by Ray Deartega.
    In his book he writes about how the Ministry of Jonathan Edwards Was fought by a man by the name of Chancey. (The Johnny Boy of His Day). Chancey still has a following in a church known as the Unitarian Universalist.
    The book show throughout history that those who quench the Spirit leave people with nothing but dead religion.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have read doctored books written by Charismatics, who have done a poor job of "documenting" history, by having one to believe that just because one is filled with Holy Spirit, they have spoken in tongues. Those assumptions are made by Charismatics especially when quoting from church fathers. I prefer to read more neutral and reliable sources, not Charismatics like Sherril who have an agenda to push the Charismatic movement and will change history to do it.
    DHK

11. atestring

atestring New Member

I have read doctored books written by Charismatics, who have done a poor job of "documenting" history, by having one to believe that just because one is filled with Holy Spirit, they have spoken in tongues. Those assumptions are made by Charismatics especially when quoting from church fathers. I prefer to read more neutral and reliable sources, not Charismatics like Sherril who have an agenda to push the Charismatic movement and will change history to do it.
    DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]I believe tht Johnny boy has doctored his books!!!!
    Sherrell did not start out as a charismatic. he was an independent jounralist covering the Charismatic Movement. If you hasd read his book you would know that!!

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/rootsof.htm

http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/strange1.htm

I encourage you to go to the links provided and read the articles in their entirety. They provide well-documeted historical facts.
    DHK

13. atestring

atestring New Member

Cultist David Cloud has the right name. He is spoke about in Jude verse 12.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't know atestring. You say you attend a Baptist Church, but don't seem to have much respect for Baptists. That's kind of unusual don't you think? I give you a source from John MacArthur and you demean him. Then I refer you to a couple of excellent, well-researched articles by David Cloud. But you throw those out the door because he's a "cultist."
    I fear that if I quote any Baptist work it will be in vain; it won't be good enough for you.

You want to hear Charismatic history from Charismatics--who have revised their history, just like the Catholics have revised theirs.
    Did you know that the Mormons can trace their genealogy all the way back to Adam?? They know their history too.
    DHK

15. atestring

atestring New Member

DKH
    Not all Baptist churches demand that you listen to John macartruer
    DAvid Cloud is known to put down Southern Baptist Preachers like Billy Graham, Jerry Falwell and others.
    Is it wrong to hear Charismatic history from Charismatics?
    If I wanted to know what Methodist believe shouldn't I study John Wesley? Or should I study somene that hates MEthodist?
    I do not believe that David Cloud represents mainstream Baptist thinking and more important He does not represent Solid Biblical Christian Thinking.

16. qwerty

qwerty New Member

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are being too close-minded. I never said that David Cloud represented mainstream Baptist thinking. I don't agree with all of his theology: for example, his views on the KJV. But that doesn't mean I throw out all of his research. The research that he has done on cults is excellent. Read the material that he has put out on the Seventh Day Adventists, for example. He uses primary sources, quoting from the work of Ellen G. White herself. It is well researched, well organized and very thorough. He gives an accurate history of the movement as well. Have I any good reason to reject the man's research on the SDA movement? No. Does his view on the KJV, fundamentalist issues such as his stand against Billy Graham, affect his history of the SDA movement? No.

The same is true for the Charismatic movement--a cult like movement having its roots in many heretical cult leaders. Again he goes into the history of each of these individuals and shows how they contributed to origin of the movement. What did William Branham believe, the founder of the Branhamites, and how is he involved? How about Kathryn Kuhlman? Does David Cloud's theological positions "cloud" his judgement to study the history of a movement that has taken grievous unorthodox positions that are contrary to the Bible? If not then why the slander, and why the reluctance to study his works?
    DHK

18. qwerty

qwerty New Member

An excerpt from the Vineyard response to Charismatic Chaos:

This book, however, is particularly difficult to read for a number of reasons. MacArthur has the unfortunate weakness of exaggerating his opponents' faults. Not only is the bizarre and the quirky repeatedly emphasized, but MacArthur rarely acknowledges a mainstream view within the charismatic or Pentecostal movements that's balanced, Biblical, and mature. MacArthur, moreover, rarely admits that the Pentecostal/charismatic movement -- now over 400 million strong -- has borne tremendous fruit for the kingdom of God. He simply does not permit himself to acknowledge positive contributions by this enormous and varied movement.

Excessive dogmatism is another fault of MacArthur's book. He lumps heresies, such as the view that human beings can share the deity of Christ, together with questions that should be open for discussion, such as "does the gift of tongues exist today?" Since MacArthur is dogmatic about virtually everything he says (something is either "Biblical" or "patently unbiblical" in MacArthur's book), he leaves absolutely no room for the reader to disagree and yet still be viewed as orthodox.

Indeed, in MacArthur's world, there does not seem to be any legitimate debate about almost any theological issue within Christian orthodoxy. This leads to the troubling conclusion that either MacArthur is unaware of most of the church's history and the legitimacy of differing Biblical viewpoints other than one's own, or he believes that he has received some special revelation regarding what is the truth about all matters. In either case, who can fault the reader for being turned off by MacArthur's excessive dogmatism?

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The entire critique is built on its own strawman. When writing about the doctrinal errors of Islam does one necessarily have to go out of their way to "acknowledge positive contributions by this enormous and varied movement?" :rolleyes:

20. qwerty

qwerty New Member

DHK,
    On the surface, your response is troubling. You might want to clarify, and you might not want to.

1. Are you equating Islam with the Charismatics?
    2. Is Islam a false religion? Is the Charismatic movement a false religion?
    3. Are Charismatics Christians?
    4. Is there ANYTHING good that Charismatics do for the Kingdom of God?