1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is it that you don't know?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by thegospelgeek, Dec 16, 2008.

1. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I work in the IT Industry and most of the people that I interview learn buzz words, acronyms,etc. So I like to ask them the question, "What is it that you do not know" or "What are you weaknesses"? It can be very revealing. So I thought I would apply this to my spiritual life and studies. I'll add mine later so as not to scew the discussion, but..

What is it you don't know in regard to scripture?
    What are your personal weaknesses spiritually?
    What do you see as a weakness in your Church/Denomination?
    And last "What should be done to improve these areas"?

Just thinking out loud... Please respond.

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know it all.
    I don't have any weaknesses.
    They don't listen to me often enough.
    Everyone should just do what I say and quit trying to improve my ideas.

Can I have a job?:smilewinkgrin:

peace to you:praying:

3. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

How did I know there would be at least one:thumbs:

I must be a prophet!

4. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

1. I don't think I will ever know for sure the truth concerning the unconditional/conditional eternal security debate. I may feel what I believe to be the truth, but everyone feels like what they believe is the truth. I am just willilng to admit that I may be wrong. I am feel 99.9% sure, but I may be wrong.

2. I struggle mightily with pride and lust. Without the Holy Spirit of God leading and guiding my life I am arrogant and cocky. I still struggle not to take that second look at a pretty girl/woman.

3. As of now I am a Free Will Baptist, and I think FWB's struggle with legalism and an incorrect understanding of the doctrine of the Free Will Baptist Denomination. We do not officially believe that we are saved by works or KEPT SAVED BY WORKS (but many FWB members do believe we are kept saved by works)!!

4. Prayer and Bible study!!

Great questions...

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Many of my mothers people were Free Will Baptists. They were some of the finest and sweetest people I have known. [It is possible I was biased by kinship and a young age.]

However, I believe their doctrine on the Security of the Believer to be wrong. Logically I believe that any group that believes one can lose their salvation must believe their salvation is kept by works.

6. Navymans

Navymans New Member

Yea there is always one in every crowd.

7. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

FWB believe one must continue to trust in Christ. One must keep their faith in Christ. Grace through faith/justified by faith. FWB believe that faith is a continuous thing and not a one time act.

8. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

1. I don't know what I don't know, and if I did know than I wouldn't not know anymore..

2. Laziness

3. Pride

4. Trust

9. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Or it could be that we are just that:laugh:
    Our doctrine on the secuity of the beliver is often mistaken as such. As Nicholas has stated, many Free Will Baptist who do not dig into the word tend to drift in this direction, although it is not preached from the pulpit or stated in the Treatise.

10. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

There are way too many things in scripture that I don't fully understand to mention here. The biggest one is why "God so love the world that he gave his only begotten Son" for a vile, wretched world that rejects Him.

My spiritual weaknesses are (1) Not being able to live by faith and having very little of it. (2) Not being able to fully trust anyone--including God. (3) Not believing in unconditional love. (4) Not believing that God loves me.

The only person who truly loved me was my mother, and I found out that her love was conditional when she turned against one of her sons for hurting her. Fortunately, her standards for loving me weren't too high for me to attain. Unfortunately, my dad's standards were.

The weakness in my denomination is the inability to unite as one in Christ, and too much condemnation and and judging of one another.

I have no idea what can be done to improve any of these. I KNOW I'm saved; I was there when it happened as I called on the Lord. I was still young and innocent enough at 17 to believe what I read in scripture.

11. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Very deep stuff brother. I will remember you in prayer.