1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is it to Backslide?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Jer 5:1 ¶ Run ye to and fro through the streets of Jerusalem, and see now, and know, and seek in the broad places thereof, if ye can find a man, if there be any that executeth judgment, that seeketh the truth; and I will pardon it.
    2 And though they say, The LORD liveth; surely they swear falsely.
    3 O LORD, are not thine eyes upon the truth? thou hast stricken them, but they have not grieved; thou hast consumed them, but they have refused to receive correction: they have made their faces harder than a rock; they have refused to return.
    4 Therefore I said, Surely these are poor; they are foolish: for they know not the way of the LORD, nor the judgment of their God.
    5 I will get me unto the great men, and will speak unto them; for they have known the way of the LORD, and the judgment of their God: but these have altogether broken the yoke, and burst the bonds.
    6 Wherefore a lion out of the forest shall slay them, and a wolf of the evenings shall spoil them, a leopard shall watch over their cities: every one that goeth out thence shall be torn in pieces: because their transgressions are many, and their backslidings are increased.
    7 How shall I pardon thee for this? thy children have forsaken me, and sworn by them that are no gods: when I had fed them to the full, they then committed adultery, and assembled themselves by troops in the harlots' houses.
    8 They were as fed horses in the morning: every one neighed after his neighbour's wife.
    9 Shall I not visit for these things? saith the LORD: and shall not my soul be avenged on such a nation as this?
    10 ¶ Go ye up upon her walls, and destroy; but make not a full end: take away her battlements; for they are not the LORD'S.
    11 For the house of Israel and the house of Judah have dealt very treacherously against me, saith the LORD.
    12 They have belied the LORD, and said, It is not he; neither shall evil come upon us; neither shall we see sword nor famine:
    13 And the prophets shall become wind, and the word is not in them: thus shall it be done unto them.
    14 Wherefore thus saith the LORD God of hosts, Because ye speak this word, behold, I will make my words in thy mouth fire, and this people wood, and it shall devour them.
    15 Lo, I will bring a nation upon you from far, O house of Israel, saith the LORD: it is a mighty nation, it is an ancient nation, a nation whose language thou knowest not, neither understandest what they say.
    16 Their quiver is as an open sepulchre, they are all mighty men.
    17 And they shall eat up thine harvest, and thy bread, which thy sons and thy daughters should eat: they shall eat up thy flocks and thine herds: they shall eat up thy vines and thy fig trees: they shall impoverish thy fenced cities, wherein thou trustedst, with the sword.
    18 Nevertheless in those days, saith the LORD, I will not make a full end with you.
    19 And it shall come to pass, when ye shall say, Wherefore doeth the LORD our God all these things unto us? then shalt thou answer them, Like as ye have forsaken me, and served strange gods in your land, so shall ye serve strangers in a land that is not yours.
    20 ¶ Declare this in the house of Jacob, and publish it in Judah, saying,
    21 Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not:
    22 Fear ye not me? saith the LORD: will ye not tremble at my presence, which have placed the sand for the bound of the sea by a perpetual decree, that it cannot pass it: and though the waves thereof toss themselves, yet can they not prevail; though they roar, yet can they not pass over it?
    23 But this people hath a revolting and a rebellious heart; they are revolted and gone.
    24 Neither say they in their heart, Let us now fear the LORD our God, that giveth rain, both the former and the latter, in his season: he reserveth unto us the appointed weeks of the harvest.
    25 ¶ Your iniquities have turned away these things, and your sins have withholden good things from you.
    26 For among my people are found wicked men: they lay wait, as he that setteth snares; they set a trap, they catch men.

HP: What is the meaning of this text?

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: And I thought I heard some on this list telling us that if we committ such things as adultery we could expect to receive our rewards early? What does this passage say about those fed by the Lord yet turn from His instruction in willful disobedience?

3. billwald

billwald New Member

The people doing these nasty things must not be regenerate.

4. Heavenly Pilgrim

12 They have belied the LORD, and said, It is not he; neither shall evil come upon us; neither shall we see sword nor famine:

HP: What do you think this verse might be saying?

5. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

It might be saying that those of the OT needed to pay attention to it. We are, I believe, under Grace, and that described by the Apostle Paul.

6. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Sounds a lot like the notion that they needed those moral commandments in the OT, but under grace we don’t. Are you in agreement with those on the list that say that you can commit adultery, murder, etc. and refuse to repent of it but as a believer still make it in? Just wondering if you’re of that stripe.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Anyone who refuses to repent of sin is not a born again believer. Why do you keep saying that the people on this "list" believe it's ok to sin? Sin is disgusting to a born again believer because of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit who convicts us of sin and leads us into all truth. A born again believer has a deep love for our Savior and does NOT want to sin. Yet, we still sin. Paul described this dilema very well. We're at war with the old nature. But, we are not under the condemnation of the law. Jesus fulfilled all the requirements of the law and I put my faith and trust in Him. When God looks at me, He sees the righteousness of Christ. I do not understand why this is so hard for some to understand.

8. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: If sin is s disgusting, why does one keep doing it? I am afraid some do not understand the nature of sin, in that sin is a selfish intent formed to gratify, not disgust, the individual. Sin has a pleasurable side. If it did not, no one would sin. There would be no motivation for it.

It is double talk to say that I love God, and I don’t want to sin but I do. Sin is the willful transgression of a law. If you did not want to you would have no desire to sin. Because one sins, it is living proof that they indeed do want and desire to sin.

I say that some on this list believe that it is OK to sin because they say it can be done with impunity. They claim it does not matter what sin we commit, even murder or adultery, etc., if we are born again it does not affect our standing with God. If that is not placing a green light on sin, the pope is not a Catholic. Why don’t you ask those on the list why they believe that a person can have sin excused without sincere repentance, when God says that unless we repent we shall all likewise perish?

If your husband told you that he had a ‘deep love for you’ yet goes out and commits adultery, are you still going to tell me that your faith in his ‘deep love’ remains unchanged or unquestioned? Hello! Deep love Amy is seen and evidenced by obedience and faithfulness. Sin is a direct sign that ones love is not deep and ones commitment is at best on shaky ground.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

HP, Paul certainly understood that we are at war with the flesh.
    Romans 7:15-25 (New King James Version)

15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
    21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
    So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.
    Do you think Paul didn't love God?

10. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Paul is a most unusual case. As far as the passage in question either he was the most confused or the biggest liar that ever lived in Chapters 6 & 8, or he was speaking of his condition before He met the Lord in the passage you quote from in chapter 7. I am convinced the latter is true. He was speaking of his feelings as an unsaved individual in Chapter 7.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Paul was speaking in the present tense. There is no reason to believe he was speaking of his past.

12. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: This is a weak argument that hold no weight in common communications. Writers and speakers utilize present tense to illustrate past tense actions every day.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Can you back up your statement that he was speaking about his past? That is only your opinion.

14. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Yes as a matter of fact it only takes………..’basic reading skills’ applied to Chapters 6 & 8:thumbs:

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Nice try!:applause:

16. Heavenly Pilgrim

Amy, What does it mean to backslide?

17. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Thank you, Amy, for your responses. "Pilgrim" comes up with these questions, trots them out, then attempts to scalp all those who respond. Stick to your guns. Scalpers can't even come close. It's sad that persons like "Pilgrim" roam about, seeking whom they can devour.

18. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: What is sad is that all you are able to add to this discussion is personal attacks and attempting to impugn ones motives. You would accomplish more if you would just go back to fighting windmills.

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Can one backslide??

I truly think that when someone gets saved, they are Heaven bought and heaven bound. Now, before anyone climbs up my back, let me clarify what I am saying. There are some who belive OSAS and that regardless of what they do...IE Cheat, lie, steal, fornicate, etc. they will still go to heaven. Not so. I believe that once God forgives someone of their sins, they will no longer have the same mind to do the things they once did. You will hate the things you once loved, and love the things you once hated. I can't remember where this scripture is located, but y'all know what I am saying. If someone goes to church and then reverts back to what they once did, how could they have been saved. Jesus tasted death for EVERY man's sins. Christian means "Christlike". If they go back to their old routine, they weren't "Christlike, IMHO. Hebrew 6:4-6 if you study it, plainly tells you it is IMPOSSIBLE for those who were once enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift, if they fall away, to renew them again unto repentance. So if anyone preaches a backslide, you are preaching a DOOMED soul. But I think that if someone has been down to the FEET of Jesus, they won't go so far as to completely fall out. I know that this will spark some messages, but I don't mean to ruffle any feathers. May God Bless!!!:1_grouphug: John 3:16

20. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Please document that. Please submit a list of the "some" who believe that. Please provide a list of denominations who believe OSAS AND that they can cheat, lie, steal, fornicate, etc.