1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is it to Backslide?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jan 28, 2007.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I went to college and a friend of mine was a Pentecostal preacher. One day we were in the library studying for a test, when a friend of his came by and talked. I heard them talking about hearing a preacher preach OSAS. I asked them what he meant by this, because I have always believed that once salvation is yours, you won't lose it. They then explained that he believed that the "Inner Man" is saved, the "Outer Man" can do whatever he wants too, and still go to heaven. I am not for sure if he was a Pentecostal or not. My friend did not tell me what that preacher's denomination was. But this FLOORED me!! I have never heard anyone personally preach this, but to my knowledge, which is very little, this doctrine has/was/is being preached. If I am wrong, I pray that God forgives me. May God Bless!! John 3:16:1_grouphug:

2. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

The tragic flaw in that is obvious: "do whatever he wants to"

That is utterly contrary to scripture. No authentic, born-again Believer in Christ Jesus as Savior and Lord is going to "do whatever he wants to" when what he wants to do is practice sin. There is nothing permissive in following Jesus Christ. We place our feet in the footprints that he leaves for us. If we stumble, he waits for us to check out 1 John 1:9. We do not deliberately stumble, stagger, fall. That is to continue in sin. In short, he could have said that the "inner man" is saved, the "outer man" tempts us to do whatever it, the sinful nature wants us to do, but we don't have to do it. We strive to overcome temptation, assured of our home in Heaven, knowing that our Merciful Father has prepared a place for us.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

DQ, if I am not mistaken, what I quoted to you is as close to the truth as I can remember. When I overheard them talking about this subjrct, my friend said he hated when that gentleman preached on that subject that even if a man murdered someone, if they were saved at that time, they would still go to heaven. This was back in 1999-2000, so it's been a few years back, and haven't talked with my friend in a couple of years now. I have no reason not to believe my friend in regards to this matter, as well. It's just sad to know that this type of doctrine is making it behind the stand nowadays. Satan has about as many preachers now, as God does, it seems. The bible calls them false-preachers. May God Bless!! John 3:16 :1_grouphug:

4. Tazman

Tazman New Member