1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is "Old Time Religion"

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Luke2427, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That my hypothesis is flawed, Don- that is what you haven't proven.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Sir, I do not know anything about your church. I did not say anything about your church.

I am speaking of people who believe in some mythical "old time religion" that is neither biblical nor real.

I am arguing that the "old paths" in Scripture have nothing to do with people who think the 40's and 50's church was the way to do things.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bob, thank you for your posts, a breath of fresh air in this stuffy thread.

Here is the account of the Fisk Jubilee Singers' visit to the Metropolitan Tabernacle during Spurgeon's pastorate:

Yet there is room!

Quite a Sunday evening service.
    Wouldn't you love to have been a fly on the wall!

The Fisk Jubilee Singers' "This Old Time Religion", from The Jubilee Singers in Great Britain:

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again - don't be obtuse. You yourself stated that you didn't receive the expected responses. I don't have to "prove" anything; you've proven it yourself.

----- edited to add:
    Luke, your exact statement was: "I expected a vigorous debate and some of our fundy brethren vehemently defending the ideas...." Where, in this thread, did you see your "fundy brethren" vehemently defending those ideas?

You also stated: "I expected some of our IFBers to rant and rave...." Where, in this thread, did you see IFBers ranting and raving?

You started this thread with an expectation; unless I've missed something somewhere, that expectation hasn't been fulfilled. Thus, your expectation ("hypothesis") was apparently flawed.

Please, by all means, prove me wrong.

#64 Don, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2011
  5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Look, in today's churches, you have a mixed bag of worship styles. You have acapella, bluegrass gospel, CCM, hip-hop christian, christian rap, heavy metal christian, etc. Whatever your church does, is none of my business. I was flipping through the channels a whiles back, and one of the christian channels had a church that was blaring the song "If you like, then you should have put a ring on it", by Beyonce?!?!?!

The churches nowadays are swaying towards more worldly modes to try to "win" souls for the Lord. This sure doesn't seem like "OTR" to me. And I want no part of using "worldly" methods to "win" souls for Christ. I preach the gospel(when God pours His blessing on me), and if that doesn't win them, then nothing will.

There may not be "OTR" as some have purported, but there is only one way to worship. IN SPIRIT AND IN TRUTH!! If you sway from that, it doesn't matter how "old" or "new" your religion is.

"Give me that old time salvation, give me that old time salvation, give me that old time salvation, it's good enough for me!!"

People can have "religion", I want, and have, SALVATION!!!

i am I AM's!!

Willis

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You still don't get it, Don.

That is not the hypothesis which you keep repeating.

It is the other part of that post. You said I was wrong about that.

Prove it.

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Define "worldly".

Define "IN SPIRIT AND TRUTH!!!!"

Define "old time salvation...!!!!!!!"
    (note: I am only QUOTING your exclamation marks- not making any of my own here. You use them often as you must be a very excited gushing type person. I always feel like you are preaching at me from inside a tent meeting somewhere in the holler when I read your posts- which is fine I suppose.:thumbs:)

Congratulations. Should we shout and wave hankies now?:wavey:

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I mean "worldy" ways of trying to "win" souls. Using christain rap to gain the "ganstas", heavy metal christian to gain "hard rockers", etc. Here's an example.

A friend of mine and I were talking one night, and we both were agreeing that men wearing earrings aren't okay, and that the Holy Ghost would convict them if they were still wearing them. All of a sudden, on of the nurses comes walking around the corner, and overheard what we were talking about, and she went on a rant!! Not that we were even talking to her, she just "barked" when neither one of us "pulled her chain." She wnet on to sya that her husband was a christian and that he has both his ears pierced and that he dresses like a biker, and that by him being this was, he might gain their trust, and "convert" some of them...IOW, he could relate to them, and be on their level. That's the problem with the churches today. Nothing needs to be added to the Word. The Word is all the world needs in order to be saved. This scenario I just gave you seems to give the notion the the Word conforms to the world, when in reality, the Word conforms the world to It.

When the Spirit moves upon someone, and they begin rejoicing in the Lord. It may be verbal shouting, or rejoicing in the Lord in their heart....only they and the Lord know it. I, for one, shout, cry, clap my hands etc. when the Spirit pours out on me. I used to shout at sporting events, I can shout for the Lord.

Yes, I am a very outgoing person. I wear my emotions on my sleeve, so to speak. Old time salvation is what the saved people get. The blood of Jesus poured out on the soul of man, cleaning it up, making it white, without spot, or blemish. Sorry if you feel like I am preaching at you...I will also try to cut down on these(!!!!). LOL

I do not know what you mean by this statement. Don't congratulate me, but rather, give God the glory for saving a vile, wretched sinner such as I was.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Okay, but what about these things is worldly? I don't like them either mind you, but I am trying to get you to be clear as to how you define worldliness.

Wearing ties is worldly to some people- do you wear a tie to church?

Having running water and electricity is worldly to many folks who call themselves Christians. Do you have running water?

I mean who gets to define what "worldly" is?

Why is your definition of what "worldly" means better than the Amish people's definition of "worldly"?

Why does it have to have ANYTHING to do with rejoicing? What do you base this definition of "in spirit and truth" upon?

Can it not be a solemn stillness? Did God not ALSO say- be STILL and know that I am God? Is that not worshiping God ins Spirit and truth as well?

What about weeping in sorrow for the Lord's wounds while in communion? Is that not "worshiping in spirit and truth"?

What about trembling in fear as almost all godly people did when they had God best revealed to them? Is that not worshiping in Spirit and truth?

Why do you assume that it has to always have something to do with "rejoicing"?

Do whatever floats your boat brother. I grew up in camp meeting atmospheres.

What I seek to understand on this thread is the case for this, what I consider to be mythical, old time religion- if there IS one.

Just picking with you.

But I have to ask- shouldn't I give you SOME of the glory- even if just a little bit, since you are the one who had the good sense to CHOOSE Him?

He reached down, but you reached up, right?

He may have done the VAST majority of the reaching, but you did SOME of it, right?

Shouldn't you be praised for being a little wiser and a little more sensitive to the Holy Ghost than most men?

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I don't deserve one "iota" of praise for Him saving me. None of us have that right. God gave me the gift of salvation, by allowing His Son to die on the cross for my sins.

Look, the four gospels are chocked full of people who reached out to Jesus after He came by them. Look at Zaccheus for instance. He heard that Jesus was coming his way, and what did he do. He went and climbed up a tree to see Him, because he was small instature. If he hadn't done this, Jesus wouldn't have came to his house, and Zaccheus wouldn't have been saved.

The woman with the 12 years issue of blood, if she hadn't pressed through the crowd and touched His clothing, she wouldn't have been healed.

Legion, when he saw Jesus, if he hadn't ran to Jesus, the demons would have never been cast into the swine.

The father who had the son with the demon that cast him into the fire, and then into the water. When the Disciples could do nothing with him, what did Jesus say to the father? All things are possible to him who believeth. The father then stated, "Lord I believe. Help my unbelief. Then Jesus cast the demon out of him.

The Prodical Son, if he had never left the "hog lot" after he came to himself, he would have never made it back to his father house, if he never left there.

The father who sent one of his servants to bring Jesus to heal his daughter. If he had not sent the servant, his daughter would have never been healed.

All these are prime examples of repentance. This is what Jesus said about repentance:

Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

When God reveals Himself to someone, it is up to that person to repent. God will not repent for them. So man has to do "something", and that is "repent, believe, and be baptized."

Mark 1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Now, the "be baptized", is referring to the baptism of the Holy Ghost that was to come on the believers after Jesus' final ascension to the Father.

Man does not have the means in himself to save himself, but mankind must repent of their sins.....God does not do their repenting for them.

i am I AM's!!

Willis

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I guess it has more to do with personal preference, Bro. Luke. If someone like the hip hop christian music, christian rap, heavy metal rap, etc, that's their personal choice. I know that "personal preference" has nothing to do with "OTR".

No.

If I didn't, I might around "stankin'"....LOL

Again, I guess it all boils down to personal preference...which has nothing to do with "OTR".

I agree with everything here. Very well stated.

Like I said twice, personal preference,that has nothing to do with "OTR". This thread has got me to really thinking. I guess it just brings back fond memories of our earlier days, and how I heard dad say that when he was a kid, church would last till 3:00 in the afternoon, and then they would gather at someone's house and have a fellowship meal. Nowadays, churches want to get on a schedule, and be done with by no later than 12:30. I am not saying that having church until 3:00 pm made them any better, but they worked hard all week, and church was their only day off from hard labor, and they used that day to worship the Lord....again that doesn't make them any better.....

13. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're not making any sense, Luke. Please specifically identify what "hypothesis" I keep repeating, and then I'll provide you the proof.

If you're talking about the part of my post that said something about deriding independent fundamental baptists, I provided that proof in the same post by quoting your words.

#73 Don, Jun 9, 2011
  14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

So then the Bible teaches that man can pat himself on the back a little. He can say- I praise me that I trusted Christ. Sure I praise God more- he did a lot more to make my salvation possible- but I did my part too.

I trusted. He called but I answered. He did not cause me to answer. He did not cause me to trust so I can praise me that I had better sense than most people- I trusted Christ whereas MOST people haven't.

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That is not the part I am talking about, Don. I have not denied that I am criticizing IFBers who have said philosophy.

It is the other part that you have not proven.

You said I came in with a faulty premise- prove it.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post brother....you nailed it! :thumbs:

17. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

No, I do not define old time religion by various renderings of the spiritual Old Time Religion. But I do receive a glimpse of old time religion when I listen to the music clips I inserted in my post # 55 of this thread.

The fact is, I have an interest in genealogy and I have been on a personal quest of my own to learn more about the religion of my ancestors from the 1700s and early 1800s. I am not just interested in what is in a book or museum. I am interested in how my ancestors practiced their religion, as well as the spiritual atmosphere of the frontier meeting houses of the late 1700s and early 1800s.

I have found there are paths to spiritually experience the religion of my ancestors.

One path is the services of United Baptist, Primitive Baptist, and Old Regular Baptist churches in the geographical areas my ancestors lived--Appalachia. And a historical fact that most people do not know is most of the pioneers who settled the Midwestern and eventually the Western states of our nation passed through the mountain gaps of the states of Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Kentucky. Therefore the old time religion sought after in many areas of our nation and the world may have originated with the early meeting houses of Appalachia. I believe I am able to spiritually experience the old time religion of my ancestors through the services, music, and doctrine of these Baptist churches. My ancestors came to the American colonies in 1722 from Edinburgh Scotland and I find the Scottish traditions continuing in Appalachia feed my soul--if you know what I mean.

Another path, I believe, can be found in the worship services of Africian American Baptist churches. Many Africian American Christians believe their religious practices and spirituality go back many centuries, some say even to the early centuries of the Christian church in African regions such as Ethiopia. I have visited and participated in one Africian American church in my area and do agree some portions of their service exude an ancient and primitive form of Christianity that definitely feeds my soul. The spiritual atmosphere of these churches, in my opinion, should be experienced by anyone wanting to experience old time religion. And if you examine the hymn books and written doctrinal statements of African American primitive churches, you will find many similarities with those of Baptist churches attended by other ethnic and cultural populations.

Thus, some Appalachian Baptist churches and African American churches, in my opinion, offer more than glimpses of old time religion.

There are, as to be expected, many differences in the two worship styles. One obvious difference is the role of instrumental music vs A Capella music (no instruments). I must say that I find the Scottish traditions practiced in Appalachian Baptist churches feed my Scottish soul--and their descendant churches that have spread across adjoining regions of our nation as people migrated out of Appalachia, keeping as much as possible the spiritual and religious traditions of these churches in Appalachia.

This thread really should be edited by the moderators and placed in the Baptist History section. The negative statements made about worshiping congregation and worship leadership should be removed. And those of us who posted such comments should get on our knees and ask forgiveness. Pride about how we turn a phrase or get someone's goat is a sin, in my humble opinion. And I include myself in that fallen crowd.

Have I found the religion of my 1700s and early 1800s ancestors in Appalachian Baptist churches. I think so.

...Bob

#77 BobinKy, Jun 9, 2011
  18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

God bless you Willis.

I feel the same way you do.

I personally despise rap and rock in the church- I really do.

I just don't think there is anything necessarily spiritual about Southern Gospel either.

I don't think songs like "Mansion over the Hilltop" are very spiritual. This song falls in a genre and generation of music that praises blessings more than the Blesser.

I don't think songs that sound like a Gaither Homecoming are superior in any way.

My problem with stated "Old Time Religion" is that I actually think we LOST ground during those mythical good ol' days.

I think emphases on what man gets out of the deal (Heaven, healing, etc...) above the One who has given us all good gifts has dumped us in the shallow mess we are in today.

Read the lyrics of Isaac Watts and Augustus Toplady and Charles Wesley (a devout Arminian) and compare them to the- and I mean this- WORTHLESS lyrics found in MOST of the songs that fill the old Red Back Church Hymnal.

It was that shallow crud that cost us our culture, imo.

There was a horrible sacrifice of the deep things of God for toe-tapping "Wingin' My Way Back Home" and "Holding up that Ladder that I'm Climbing On" mess.

And it was exactly THOSE days that most people refer to when they speak of "OTR".

#78 Luke2427, Jun 9, 2011
  19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Good stuff, Bob- thanks.

I do want to know though- What about those clips do you believe gives you a glimpse into old time religion?

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just want to make sure I get it right.....The Arminian position is that salvation is accomplished through the combined efforts of God (who takes the initiative) and man (who must respond) & its man's response that is the determining factor.

so to conclude the Arminian position ....human decision making holds a center place in salvation & the result is a theology that is not exclusively God-centered but focused in the direction of the self.

Do I have that correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.