1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is one book you would recommend on prayer?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Journeyman1, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Journeyman1

Journeyman1 New Member

I've come to realize that my prayer life is really weak. Can anyone recommend a book or two that you feel really helped you understand prayer?

Thanks,

journeyman

2. Dave

Dave Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I picked up a book called "Prayers of a God Chaser" by Tommy Tenney. I haven't finished it yet, but through the first 8 chapters I have found it excellent.

Dave

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Find the big thick book on prayer by EM Bounds...it is several smaller books combined into one. It is excellent!

4. Journeyman1

Journeyman1 New Member

5. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

I agree on the EM Bounds book. Excellent reading. Also worth reading are "Fresh Wind Fresh Fire" by Jim Cymbala, and "Lord Teach Us To Pray" by Alexander Whyte.

6. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also have Intercessory Prayer by Dutch Sheets which is really good.

7. JohnB

JohnB New Member

The two books, of many that I have, on prayer that I keep re-reading are:

Too Busy Not to Pray by Bill Hybels.
    Letters to Malcolm on Prayer by C.S. Lewis.

R.A. Torrey's How to Pray is also a classic along with E.M. Bounds.

Prayer has always been the most difficult spiritual discipline for me, so I am always on the look out for helpful books.

8. rc

rc New Member

If you want to know how to pray... read from the greatest prayers ....

Valley of Vision .....it's will bring you to your knees...

9. Journeyman1

Journeyman1 New Member

rc, can you give me a little more to go on? Maybe an author for Valley of Vision? Thanks.

jman

10. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

Journeyman, I found "Valley of Vision" at Christianbook.com. It's by Arthur Bennett.

This is from ChristianBook.com: Description: Puritans wrote down their prayers as a way of keeping a record of God's dealing with the soul. Included here are prayers of Bunyan, Watts, Spurgeon, and others. Arranged by theme---from the awesomeness of God to the awfulness of sin---you'll find promptings for your own heart's dialogue with your heavenly Father. 224 pages, softcover from Banner of Truth.

11. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Try the Psalms!

In HIS service;
    Jim

12. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

Try the Psalms!

Amen! Amen!

Go through the Psalms in a month, reading five Psalms each day. They are rich and always fresh, full with prayers and praise. They are a Bible within the Bible.

13. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

One book has been recommened by me, and here is another One. <grin>

Having read many other works by Bro. Paul Tuck Sr. this book on prayer is a book I would recommend. Contact using email or through their web site for details about purchasing the book. This is a local church ministry and is available from them. ~ Bob Krajcik

Pastor Tuck says: One of our church members read our new book - “I read Lord teach us to pray yesterday and it is very helpful. Thank you.”

You can order this book for $5.00 postage paid in Canada or USA. You can use Paypal to remit funds.

Ask for the book “Lord Teach us to Pray” by D. Paul Tuck Sr.

BAPTIST PULPIT MINISTRIES

LANDMARK BAPTIST BIBLE INSTITUTE-CANADA

Ministry of Landmark Baptist Church, Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada

E-mail - [email protected]

Web Site for LBC -
    http://dshortt.homestead.com/LANDMARKBAPTISTCHURCH.html

14. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Conversational Prayer by Rosalind Rinker
    Any book by Bounds on prayer is excellent

15. Timotheos

Timotheos New Member

When it comes to the subject of prayer, there are a number of good books available. I have been teaching through a book by a Moody Bible Institute professor, Dr. Bill Thrasher called A Journey to Victorious Praying.

But, the greatest manual on prayer is the Word of God. The Psalms are great examples of prayer.

If you really want to improve your prayer life. Read the Word, pray, read the word, Praise the Lord for Who He is, read, pray and keep praying.

16. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Well, I realize you are a man, but "What Happens When Women Pray," is an amazing book on prayer.

17. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

I have found an excellant book on prayer,the bible.I try to read the Psalms out loud daily.All other books I count as dung,whats better than Gods own words?

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree the Bible is the best, especially the Psalms.

I would not recommend Tommy Tenney, who denies the Trinity, nor Foster's book. Foster recommends techniques that come from Buddhism, the New Age, and other non-Christian sources (I have read that Prayer book he wrote). He also quotes universalists and others who had heretical views. Foster is Quaker and is not very discerning. He does not use the Bible to support his views on prayer.

Go for the Psalms.

19. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I know that some people here may not agree with some of the things he says and, the truth is, neither do I, but Thomas Merton's "Contemplative Prayer" has been helpful to me.

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I have an article on Contemplative Prayer. Merton admired Buddhist teachings and beliefs and was even seeking to be initiated into an esoteric Tibetan Buddhist practice (I used to be involved in Tibetan and Zen Buddhism meditation and beliefs for many years). Tibetan Buddhism is very occultic. Contemplative Prayer is not contemplation nor is it prayer - it is based on Buddhist techniques of meditation. The danger is that these techniques can make one feel good but they give an artifical method of doing so that is not based on the Bible at all. In fact, the way this got started was by Catholic monks who were taught by some Eastern monks in Buddhist and Hindu meditation techniques. Here's my article, which was published in a small Christian publication:
    http://cana.userworld.com/cana_ContemplativePrayer1.html
    or
    you can try
    http://tinyurl.com/5kwe4

I have no desire to argue over this; I just want Christians to have all the information on it. I've been familiar with CP and the teachers of CP since I was in the New Age.