1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is "preaching with authority"

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by IfbReformer, Feb 18, 2004.

1. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

Many times I hear my fellow IFBers say they want to hear preachers and have pastors that "preach with authority".

What does this mean to you?

For me when I say this I mean I want a Pastor who will preach the Word of God, and the clear fundamentals of the faith found in it without apology. A man who is not afraid to say publically that Jesus Christ was God in the flesh, the savior of mankind and he is THE ONLY WAY to salvation.

This is a Pastor who will "preach against sin". But then there is another question - what does it mean for a Pastor to be one who "preaches against sin" as we hear so often in our IFB churches?

Where I think many IFB Pastors go astray in their good intentions to "preach with authority" and "preach against sin" is that they preach their applications of scripture on the same line as the scriptural commands themselves.

For instance, a Pastor might be preaching on sexual immorality which the Bible in no uncertain terms condemns. Then he goes on to make practical applications of these Biblical commands. He talks about men not looking at women lustfully, and ladies dressing modestly as not to lead men astray.

Then he goes on to talk about sexuality in movies and such.

Up to this point in my view this is preaching with authority and preaching against sin.

Then something happens in some IFB churches, he goes on to say that since some Hollywood movies have sexual things then Christians should avoid movies all together. Or he says since some women who wear pants wear them immodestly then Christian women really out not to wear pants. He starts coming to his own "logical conclusions" and by the end of the sermon we have lost site of what the original message was about and now we think it was a sermon against people going to movies and women wearing slacks.

Some IFBs believe this is preaching with authority, I believe this is an abuse of authority.

What do you guys think on this subject?
    What does it mean to "preach with authority" and what does it mean to "preach against sin"?

IFBReformer

2. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

We had better be more concerned with "preaching with application." As long as we are preaching biblical truth in an applicable fashion and are God-dependent in the process, we do not have to worry about the authority issue.

In my personal experience "preaching with authority" can be an excuse to beat up the people in the name of "biblical preaching."

3. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Preachers need to remember that in "preaching with authority," the authority is that of the Word of God, not himself. So to that end, a preacher that gives the Word expositionally and in context after careful and prayerful preparation is preaching with authority.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Preaching with authority is the opposite of preaching opinion.

Many times I have heard it referred to as shout stomp and spit. I have heard that if you don't have semething to say then shout stomp and spit and the people will believe you. How's that for SYI (Share Your Ignorance)?