1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is putting God first?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by IfbReformer, Jul 30, 2003.

1. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

I wanted to seperate this from the "giving to God" topic although the two are related.

Last Sunday, my Pastor in his sermon stated something like this:

"Most people look at the Church as a spoke in the wheel of life, they have their job as a spoke, their family as a spoke, their various hobbies and recreations as s spoke and church as a spoke - but this is not right, for us a Christians Christ and His Church are to be the hub of our life - not a spoke in it."

He was speaking of scheduling our time around the activities of the church to be more involved.

At first glance to many Christians this would seem like a valid and Biblically based statement.

But it really brings up a different question -

Is putting your local church first equvilent to putting God first?

I have thought about this for the last few days and pondered on this question. I will share the results of my study based on the scriptures with you in the future.

For now I would like to hear what you all think.

Thanks

IFBReformer

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but rearranging your life around God and His calling for you (I hate any expression that speaks of “putting God” anyplace) will undoubtedly require making fellowship and service within and through your local church a high priority in your life.

3. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi IfbReformer;
    Being involved in your church is important there is no doubt about it. To me though putting God first is putting Him before your father, mother, brother, or sister, Before your job your friends and the welfare of all concerned. God being first in your life is you allowing Him to live his life through you.Being willing to lay down your life for Him. In essence God comes before your Church and everyone in it.It's about what God wants.We are His severants.
    Luk 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

This verse may sound harsh but if you think about it you'll understand. If God is not the # 1 most important thing in your life your not following Him. God doesn't want part of your heart he wants all of it.This is true comitment.
    May God Bless You.
    Mike [​IMG]