1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what is repentance?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Chessic, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Joe

Joe New Member

Oh this is good :D!

DHK and Brother Bob, head to head.

Both doing an excellent job of providing scripture and making their case.

Who will it be?

#101 Joe, Oct 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2007
  2. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Webster's 1828 Dictionary [A-J]
    compunction
    COMPUNCTION, n. L. To prick or sting.

1. A pricking; stimulation; irritation; seldom used in a literal sense.

2. A pricking of heart; poignant grief or remorse proceeding from a consciousness of guilt; the pain of sorrow or regret for having offended God, and incurred his wrath; the sting of conscience proceeding from a conviction of having violated a moral duty.

He acknowledged his disloyalty to the king, with expressions of great compunction.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Thanks Linda;

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

News flash. It's 2007.

5. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

From Harry A. Ironside: Except Ye Repent, Chapter 1: Repentance: It's Nature and Importance

God desires truth in the inward parts. The blessed man is still the one "in whose spirit there is no guile." It is forever true that "He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy." It can never be out of place to proclaim salvation by free, unmerited favor to all who put their trust in the Lord Jesus Christ. But it needs ever to be insisted on that the faith that justifies is not a mere intellectual process -- not simply crediting certain historical facts or doctrinal statements; but it is a faith that springs from a divinely wrought conviction of sin which produces a repentance that is sincere and genuine.

The entire booklet can be found here

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Don't you know 2007 is saying the same???

compunction;
    1 a: anxiety arising from awareness of guilt <compunctions of conscience> b: distress of mind over an anticipated action or result

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Yes, well, close enough. But that's not always the case. It drives me crazy when KJV people think the language stopped changing at 1828, and we can continue to go to our 1828 dictionary to see what a word means. That's fine if you want to know what a word MEANT IN THE KJV, but it is foolish to keep using the 1828 to understand words as they are used TODAY.

8. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

News flash! The meaning of "compunction" hasn't changed in 2007!

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
    com·punc·tion Pronunciation [kuhm-puhngk-shuhn]
    –noun

1. a feeling of uneasiness or anxiety of the conscience caused by regret for doing wrong or causing pain; contrition; remorse.

2. any uneasiness or hesitation about the rightness of an action.
    [Origin: 1350–1400; ME compunccion (< AF) < LL compūnctiōn- (s. of compūnctiō), equiv. to L compūnct(us), ptp. of compungere to prick severely (com- com- + pungere to prick; cf. point) + -iōn- -ion]
    Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) -
    con·tri·tion Pronunciation [kuhn-trish-uhn]
    –noun
    1. sincere penitence or remorse.

2. Theology. sorrow for and detestation of sin with a true purpose of amendment, arising from a love of God for His own perfections (perfect contrition), or from some inferior motive, as fear of divine punishment (imperfect contrition).
    [Origin: 1250–1300; ME contricio(u)n (< AF) < LL contrītiōn- (s. of contrītiō). See contrite, -ion]

—Synonyms 1. compunction, regret.
    Psalms 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It's not exactly the same, but I'm not going to argue about this particular definition. The point is, if you want to get a reliable definition of a word AS IT IS USED TODAY, use a CURRENT dictionary, not the 1828.

You KJV people seem to think the world revolves around KJV/1828 Webster's English. IT DOES NOT. Even at Pentecost the Holy Spirit got the apostles to speak in languages people could understand NATIVELY. The Spirit didn't get all the apostles to suddenly start speaking in Webster's 1828 English, as if there's something HOLY about it.

Don't get me wrong. I love the KJV. But I speak contemporary English, like just about everyone else.

10. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

In many cases, the 1828 Dictionary is closer to the "original intent" of the Word of God than the modern dictionaries of TODAY.

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

According to you, apparently, the Word of God is the KJV. Like I said, it's fine for understanding a word in the KJV. But it's not appropriate for defining a word as it is used now -- whether from regular conversation OR FROM A MODERN TRANSLATION -- which is ALSO the Word of God.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Modern translations have the word 'beer' in it. The KJV uses 'strong drink' which obviously is referring to a double venti red-eye from Starbucks...

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Heb. 12:17 seems to suggest that Repentance can be accompanied by tears, but does not necessarily must involve tears:

"He could bring about no change of mind, though he sought the blessing with tears." NIV

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Thee speaketh contemporary Englifh?? And thy brethren and sistren as welleth?? Sayeth it beeth not!

Ed

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Thou beest exactly and indubitably righteth, TCGreek!! :D
    Outta' curiosity, did Jacob and Esau have any more brothers? Read Gen. 27:37! Hmmm! But enough of this 'de-rail', here.

The real problem comes when this blessing and the surrounding events, is read to mean eternal salvation. This blessing had nothing to do with that. Was Esau a saved man? I do not know. He was mad enough to kill Jacob, just as Cain killed righteous Abel. (Gen. 4:8) (And just as the men of Sodom were after righteous Lot, as well. Gen. 19:9; II Pet. 2:7) But he did get over some of the anger, at least, and was reconciled with Jacob. (Gen. 33) Was Jacob saved? Apparently, for he is one of those listed by Apollos, in the "Hall of Fame of faith" in Heb. 11.

Folks, reread some of my earlier posts on this. Salvation is not a "birthright", nor a "blessing", in the sense Isaac blessed the twins. Salvation is, was, always has been, and always will be a gift of God, by grace through faith. Scripture knows of no other, nor any other way to 'eternal salvation'. Read what Paul wrote about Abraham and David in Rom. 4!

Ed

#115 EdSutton, Oct 18, 2007
  16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Can you be saved while killing your neighbor's child???

17. OLD SCHOOL

OLD SCHOOL New Member

What is repentence?
    Action!
    Going the opposite direction of which you were traveling.
    Why?
    Because you repented!

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

David was! In fact, after his adultery with whats-her-name ("her, who was/had been the wife of Uriah" II Sam. 11:3; 12:9,10; Matt. 1:6), also called the daughter of (Bath)Sheba (II Sam. 11:3), daughter of (Bath)Eliam (II Sam. 11:3), and daughter of (Bath)Shua (I Chr. 3:5), but her actual given name is never once given in Scripture (II Sam. 11; 12:9; Matt. 1:6), and plotting and ordering the effective murder of Uriah (II Sam. 12:9) and Paul was consenting to the death of Stephen, although he was not yet saved. But nowhere do I find that Scripture ever says that either Paul or David "repented".

It seems it certainly should not be so hard to find, considering how many I hear repeat this, ad nausea (sic). :rolleyes:

There is a great deal of difference between admitting and "confessing one's sin", as did David (II Sam. 12:7-15; Ps.51:1-19) just as we are to do, today (I Jo. 1:6-10), and the broken spirit and heart that David had (and we should also have) as "love sacrifices", in contrast to some supposed undefined 'repentance of/from sin" (undefined, because Scripture never defines this anywhere) before one can be saved.

And this is what the thread is about. One can and should 'repent" i.e. have a "change of mind" about sin, once one is a believer. That is exactly what Paul is saying when he talks about Christian living in Rom. 4-8 and specifically -
    That is what a Biblical 'repentance from sin' is, and only one already saved can do this. For one who is unsaved, it is nothing more than a few more added "filthy rags" piled up in an attempt to "achieve" righteousness on one's own.
    Ed

#118 EdSutton, Oct 18, 2007
  19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Got a Scripture on that? Especially that "action" bit??

Repeating it ad nausea (sic) still doesn't make it Biblical. :rolleyes:

Ed

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Are you saying that David was "saved" while in the act of killing someone?? If so, could you please give scripture instead of just giving your opinion.

Psa 32:1¶[[[A Psalm] of David, Maschil.]] Blessed [is he whose] transgression [is] forgiven, [whose] sin [is] covered.

Psa 38:18For I will declare mine iniquity; I will be sorry for my sin.

Jhn 21:25And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

What about Paul's works????

Act 9:6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord [said] unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

Act 9:7And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.

Act 9:8And Saul arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought [him] into Damascus.

Act 9:9And he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink.

#120 Brother Bob, Oct 18, 2007