1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Scriptural Baptism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Tom Butler, Feb 17, 2008.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Isn't hence future tense meaning the Holy Ghost comes after the water baptism?

Good discussion guys and I agree we need to assure one is baptized based on sound beliefs and if in doubt dunk um again to be sure.

I have never known of a layperson to baptize but looking at our constitution it does make provisions based on the absence of clergy.

The last few years we've been having candidates go through 6 weeks of new member classes before we dunk um. My hopes is they have some idea of why they are being baptized. I know this is contrary to biblical examples but I prayed long and hard and have noticed a reduction in attrition after baptism.

Since one must accept Christ as the Lord and Saviour before being baptized, I also feel one should be of an age to know what that means.

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yes, until the day of Penecost came and after that the Holy Ghost comes first and then the water. The Gentile example is Cornielus (sp).

I would say the 6 weeks would really be a hard thing for a person who is really saved. I couldn't wait to get in the water.

BBob,

#22 Brother Bob, Feb 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2008