1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Is Scripturally Wrong With...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Mar 26, 2008.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

Not a thing.

Would you allow a woman to sing during church?

What if she sang a psalm?

Would you allow her to make an announcement about an upcoming event?

Would you allow her to share a prayer request?

How about an answer to prayer or a praise of some kind?

Would you allow her to share a personal testimony?

There is a huge difference between participating in a worship service and exerting authority over men.

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A prophet speaks forth God's messages as illustrated from the book of the prophet Isaiah in the verses alongside...

Preaching -- a preaching prophet encourages, comforts, or reproves the people. (NOTE - from this standpoint, a pastor who preaches, in full and accurate accord with God's Bible, is functioning as a prophet.)

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

First, you need to cite your sourses.
    Secondly, my usage of 'preach' needed a little more clarification. I did equate it with the type of message conveyed through a Pastor/preacher. However, I do know the 'preach' can also mean a herald, or to cry out a particular religious truth.

The prophet's message was not something studied or revealed through scriptures but is more ..:
    Or the Easton Bible Dictionary:
    WHich is in sharp contrast to the message 'preached' by a Pastor/preacher:
    Another thing is that the office of Prophet and Pastor are distinctly different because they are stated as such. God has given to the Chruch Apostles, Evangelists, Prophets, Pastor/teachers. We find the just as true in the OT because there we have much the same thing between a priest and a prophet. You also have the word 'preached' in the general sense of a herold, or to proclain

So IMO, to make such a quantum leap so as to say the prophet and Pastor are the same is to ignore the vast majority of scripture.

From Websters Dictionary
    Preach:
    A pastor will labor over his message but a prophet has no time nor inclination to.

A prophet preached

#23 Allan, Mar 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2008
  4. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastors should be teachers as well as pastors. Some are better as teachers than others. Some are better at pastoral care than others. When I was young I went to a church where the pastor was a master teacher. However, a teacher may be other than a pastor. I would not look at this verse as excluding anyone from being a teacher simply because he/she is not a pastor.

Are you saying that no prophet ever preached?

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

I see your point. Fair enough.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

I dunno 'bout that....but I know several preachers that profited!

:laugh: :laugh:

7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: I also. Have you noticed that when radio or TV preachers talk about how important it is to use our money for God's work they always give their own address.:laugh:

8. Allan

Allan Active Member

The preaching here is not the same as what I was/am refering to. This is more in live with a proclaimation, or bertter cry out a message It would be much like the passage in the NT where we are all called 'preach the gospel to everyone. Yet there is a distiniction between the two..

#28 Allan, Mar 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2008
  9. Allan

Allan Active Member

THAT was funny!!

You need to write a "One-liners" book for the BB.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Peter 1:10
    Of this salvation the prophets have inquired and searched carefully, who prophesied of the grace that would come to you,

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

You guys are revealing a whole lot about your understanding of the role of women in ministry.

12. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

So have I- they were preached by my mother and my wife.

:laugh:

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Ex 15:20*And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances.

Jdg 4:4*And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time.

2Ki 22:14*So Hilkiah the priest, and Ahikam, and Achbor, and Shaphan, and Asahiah, went unto Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvah, the son of Harhas, keeper of the wardrobe; (now she dwelt in Jerusalem in the college;) and they communed with her.

2Ch 34:22*And Hilkiah, and they that the king had appointed, went to Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvath, the son of Hasrah, keeper of the wardrobe; (now she dwelt in Jerusalem in the college:) and they spake to her to that effect.

Ne 6:14*My God, think thou upon Tobiah and Sanballat according to these their works, and on the prophetess Noadiah, and the rest of the prophets, that would have put me in fear.

Isa 8:3*And I went unto the prophetess; and she conceived, and bare a son. Then said the LORD to me, Call his name Mahershalalhashbaz.

Lk 2:36*And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity;

Perhaps we are misunderstanding the intent here;

1Co 14:34 (KJV) Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
    35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

1Ti 2:10 (KJV) But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
    11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
    12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
    14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
    15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

14. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

My church already has. Last year after our pastor retired but before we hired an interim pastor, we had supply preaching. Several women preached for us. Most did very well. One spoke so softly I could not understand one word she said. I have no problem with women preaching. As TinyTim said, "If God gifts them, use them." Our new pastor starts on May 1. I haven't met him yet (I had the flu when he came for a visit). As for the scripture reading, we ordinarily have two scripture readings every Sunday. The readers are almost always one man and one woman. Our problem is finding anyone who is willing to read.

Tim Reynolds