1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Sin?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Steaver, post #11 should give you a pretty good indication.

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok, maybe I just don't get it. Carry on....:wavey:

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

Oh come on. It is not that hard to understand is it? :)

4. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are you talking about things like musical instruments in worship being called sin by some Christians, things like that?

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Have not really thought much about that because I have never heard one not believing in instrumental music in the worship service call it sin….so maybe maybe not.

6. bound

bound New Member

Sin is the not a 'thing'... it is a lack of a 'thing'... Sin is a lack of the good.

C.S. Lewis once said that "Evil is good done poorly"

I think that we can say that 'Sin is good acts done badly'...

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think sin is listed as a noun which is a person place or thing. The scripture says sin entered the world through Adam which is why all living are cursed with sin and in need of the saving blood of Christ. It isn't "personal sins" that condemn people, people are condemned already because of the sin curse caused by Adam. The confusion lies where one does not make the biblical distinction between "personal sin" and the "curse of sin".

:jesus:

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, my children, by a year or so KNEW when they did something wrong. They were going against their conscience before the "age of accountability". So my very young children sinned according to this definition.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I agree that children commit sin, but do they know they have transgressed God's laws? They are simply following their sin nature. They do not understand they are rebelling against God. And I'm not saying they don't need God's grace and the blood of Christ. What I'm saying is that they have no knowledge of good and evil.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's actually not a good definition of sin given the context of that verse. (in context it is dealing with eating food offered to idols)

Oops. I see Amy already touched on that...

#50 webdog, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2010
  11. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: How might these verses affect ones conclusions?
    22. John 9:41 Jesus said to them, "If you were blind, you would have no sin; but since you say, 'We see,' your sin remains."
    13.Romans 5:13 Sin is not imputed where there is no law
    18. 1John 3:4 Sin is the transgression of the law
    17. James 4:17 To him that knoweth to do good to him it is sin

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This difference is they may know something is wrong, that they violated mom and dad's "law"...but do they realize they violate God's law as well? The answer is no, and that knowledge which they are held accountable for comes at a later date.

13. Heavenly Pilgrim

It might be said this way. One has to understand the intrinsic value of the command, apart from punishments or rewards, for morality to be predicated of a formed intent. Until one reaches that level of understanding, morality simply does not exist.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If this is true, then it's best to NOT spread the Gospel because then we're letting people know about God's laws. It's best to leave them in their ignorance so that they are not held accountable.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

God has placed His law, our conscious and desire for immortality in each of us. Given time, they will know the truth about God inevitably ("they exchanged the truth for a lie"), so your premise is false.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But how do we know that God's law isn't in them from the beginning and even a young child can break it willingly before the "age of accountability"?

I mean, I see a lot of speculation but none of it supported by Scripture.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The law is in them from the beginning, but the understanding of it does not occur until one is capable of doing it...like the sin nature. With time the understanding of both occurs.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

If you think that your 1 year old child understands he/she has broken God's law, do you punish him in the same way that you would your 17 year old? Of course not, because you know that he is not able to understand what he has done. If we can be merciful, surely God is more merciful.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Why should the answer by no.
    God has placed man as the head of the household, and the parents as his authority over the children. In effect, as far as the children are concerned, they stand in the place of God. To disobey the parents is to disobey God. Hence the command: Honor thy father and mother.
    Violating mom and dad's law is to violate God's law. There is an innate knowledge of that. They don't need theology to tell them that.

20. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Amy you certainly show some insight here.:thumbsup:

The idea floated that a one year old can break Gods law is simply a ludicrous and false assumption stemming from a false philosophy, just as DHK’s notion that all violations of Mom and Dad’s law are automatically a violation of God’s law. Simply absurd.

It just gets more absurd all the time. Notice how DHK makes absolutely no distinction between morality and eating ones cereal in his comments, let alone the fact they have no developed moral sense at an early age. (maybe the babies stomach is upset or is teething) To suggest that his philosophy is innately understood in small children is sheer false conjecture without the slightest support from reason or Scripture.