1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Sin?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

So, basically you don't know. You don't see anything in scripture about this subject?

2. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

I don't want anyone to go to hell Amy, maybe the devil deserves it. But I like you are just caught up in this mess. Thank you Adam.

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: You certaintly have not told us according to Scripture they are saved, neither does Scripture tell us they need to be saved. Your philosophy is not founded in reason or Scripture.

4. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Amy, I have told you my stand point. All in Adam die. All in Christ will live. It's Bible.

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: No we are not just caught up in a mess due to Adam. We, on our own, have voluntarily sinned and violated known commandments of God without force or coercion. Apart from sincere acknowledgement of our sin being our own fault and not that of another, just as the one thief on the cross clearly acknowledged, and sincerely repented of, none shall see God.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I most certainly did. I said that children sin, but it is in ignorance. In OT, sacrifice was made for sins of ignorance. Christ is our sacrifice now and has also made atonement for sins of ignorance. You can disagree all you want, but that is what I see in scripture.

7. Heavenly Pilgrim

Amy we need to have a discussion on the meaning of sins of ignorance. They are not as you suppose.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Start another thread. For now I have to go. :wavey:

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you mean to tell me when my 2 year old daughter who can barely speak is told not to touch something, she automatically knows she is violating God's law? Sin is the willful transgression of God's law, and in order to be held accountable for doing so, knowledge of said law needs to exist. I know you hold to Augustine's view, and you need your view to be true in order for Augustine's "system" to work, but it is false.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

edited...see it was already addressed :)

#90 webdog, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2010
  11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since we are born again via faith, due tell how a fetus or an infant can have faith.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You say God can bestow grace on who He wants to...can He bestow salvation on those apart from faith?

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Here is the problem, since you claim all are sinners in Adam, Scripture states "so as..." in the connection to Christ. All must be in Christ as well in your model.

I believe the biblical model is the fact we are in Adam's condition the same way Adam got there...by sinning. We are in Christ in similar fashion...by sharing in His work as well.

14. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This was recently coved in another thread in which you participated in. If you remember, it was pointed out that one cannot place God in their own little box of reasonings.

"Born-again" is entirely the work of God through Spirit testifying with spirit. God is not limited to the flesh of man. He doesn't need the spirit/person to have a brain or a mouth that He may communicate with the person. God knows us even while He is knitting us together in the womb. The inner man, or the spirit of man, is a mystery even to us who are of full age.

Question; Do you believe it is impossible for God to speak with a baby in the womb?

:jesus:

15. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Sounds Biblical to me. :thumbs:

16. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is incorrect. We are in Adam's condition through Adam's seed. Scripture makes this very clear.

No problem at all. You are correct that all must be in Christ to be saved.

:jesus:

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...then using the etymology of the phrase, we must also be in Christ through no cause of our own as well. If we need nothing to be in Adam, we need nothing to be in Christ. I think we both agree that faith is necessary, so your conclusion cannot be the case.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You start with a false presuppostion...that if I take Scripture at face value, I am placing God in a "box of reasonings". That is a strawman argument. Scripture states emphatically spiritually dead people NEED faith in Christ to be justified. That is immutable truth...a fact. I do believe it is impossible for God to speak to a baby in the womb for the simple notion we know how we receive information from Scripture...faith comes by hearing (understanding) and that through the Word of God. Hearing / understanding require the ability and mental capacity to do so. It is spiritual science fiction to claim a fetus can exhibit faith without a fully developed mind needed to understand something.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

God's law is for children to obey their parents.
    If a child knows right from wrong as their parents have taught them, and in the rebellion of their own heart disobeys their parent (even at the age of 2), then yes, of course it is sin.
    You don't have to be a theologian to sin.

20. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Neither does one have to engage common sense to post. :smilewinkgrin: