1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is the “New Calvinism”? . . . And Are You a Part of It?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mandym, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you equating shunning Reformed Faith the dropping of the Confessions....if so , say it bluntly so I can then have the proper context? & if so, how does he substitute Confessions?

2. Herald

Herald New Member

The Reformed faith is more than confessionalism. Confessionalism is simply a common voice among those who share certain theological distinctives. Even within the confessional community there are disagreements. Baptists have the 1644/46 and 1689 LBC's; Presbyterians have the WCF; and there is also the Three Forms of Unity, 2nd Helvetic Confession etc. Reformed Christianity is about substance of belief. The doctrines of grace bind all these different factions together, but there are also disagreements, i.e. credo vs. paedo baptism. Reformed churches generally have a high view of worship (the Regulative principle, which we believe scripture teaches), an understanding of the ordinances (sacraments if you're a Presbyterian) as a means of grace, the doctrines of grace, expository preaching, plurality of elders...I can go on.

New Calvinism typically does shun confessionalism. More importantly they embrace contextualization. New Calvinism churches are more apt to embrace the modern church growth model. Reformed churches would normally be averse to these changes.

It bears repeating (because many on this board are tone deaf when it comes to understanding the Reformed explanation of confessionalism) that confessionalism is not the Protestant papacy. We do not answer to a confession. Our binding document, and source of all truth, is the Bible. The confession is a document that provides an explanation of shared doctrinal beliefs.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    again, there are many that would say that there is NO reason why a Christian could not agree with DoG as regarding salvation, and that we can also still maintain Dispy views, especially in regarding eschatology!

4. Herald

Herald New Member

Quite right. However, my contention is that the New Calvinism is not compatible with Reformed Christianity.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I agree with this. Contextualization does seem to be the most distinguishing feature of the New Calvinists as opposed to what are typically thought of as Reformed churches.

I am not a fan of contextualization as I understand it, BUT I am quite able and willing to work with my new Calvinist brethren.

At the Together For The Gospel Conference this year Matt Chandler, Mark Dever, Al Mohler and Kevin DeYoung sat down and discussed their differences on this matter intently and respectfully. Chandler is a big wig for contextualization- the rest of the guys are not.

But they DEFINITELY love and respect one another and gladly work together for the Gospel.

I concur with this spirit of cooperation between the New Calvinists and the traditional Calvinists.

6. Herald

Herald New Member

On a case-by-case basis I can cooperate with New Calvinists for the sake of the Gospel.

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yea, but that's true for EVERYBODY.

On a case-by-case basis I can work with TRADITIONAL CALVINISTS.

We take everybody we yoke up with on a case by case basis.

8. Herald

Herald New Member

I've always wondered what "working with" actually is. For instance, I can agree with the Sovereign Ministries churches on soteriology. They get the Gospel right. But it would be difficult for me to even tolerate some of the other things they do. So, perhaps at a forum like T4G I could stand with them to affirm the Gospel. I'm also a big softy when it comes to relief efforts due to hurricanes, tornado's, fires, etc. Compassion overrules ideological differences at that point.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I don't know how else we would cooperate but in those ways, do you?

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It seems like a modern term to me. I would think it was the same belief as the Calvinists. The whole belief system needs a better name. Many posts have been made why doctrines of grace is not a good name, as it implies other beliefs that disagree do not believe in grace, which is a valid point. Calvin lead the same life whether old or new. Remember the new Nixon in 1968?

I have no idea if I am part of the new Calvinism or not. I believe the Bible teaches the sovereignty of God.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

To see the differences research the word "contextualization" and Mark Drischol and Matt Chandler.

That will give you a good handle on the New Calvinism.

To see a contrast, research what men like Doug Wilson and R. C. Sproul have to say about traditional worship.

That'll get you started.

12. Herald

Herald New Member

I do know of churches that endorse each other, link to others websites, and even support one another financially. But I think you and I are in sync about cooperation.

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yep. I think so.