1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the best book ever on missions?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by John of Japan, Jan 10, 2006.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just finished two great missions books: Thinking Outside the Box, by Charles Keen, and The Legacy of William Carey, by Vishal and Ruth Mangalwadi. The first book has some innovative ideas for reaching the world. The second book is a fascinating treatise on how Carey's ministry and influence changed India tremendously for the better. Just one example is how he campaigned for the abolition of "sati," the practice of burning widows alive with their husbands.

However, the greatest book in this area I ever read was The Life of Adoniram Judson by his son Edward. I have a first edition from 1883.

What is the best missions book you ever read? Are you reading a missions book right now or have you read one recently? [​IMG]

2. Daniel_M

Daniel_M New Member

Just finished the autobiography of John G. Paton, missionary to the New Hebrides, first published in 1889. It is amazing how he remained steadfast despite the continual contemplation by his neighbors whether or not today would be a good day to have him for dinner (literally). John Paton was very courageous and God did a mighty work through him. Great book.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have that book, but I'm not sure I've ever read it. If I have, it's been a long time. I'll have to read it on your recommendation, Daniel. [​IMG]

4. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I loved God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew.

5. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

"Evidence Not Seen: A Woman's Miraculous Faith in the Jungles of World War II" by Darlene Deibler Rose

I read this and can't recommend it enough. Talk about a book which will encourage you in increased faith and witnessing! A synopsis from the internet:

"This is the true story of a newlywed American missionary woman's courage and triumph of faith in the jungles of New Guinea and her four years in a notorious Japanese prison camp."

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Two vie for the honour in my opinion

1. To The Golden Shore
    2. William Carey - by Pearce Carey

7. Daniel_M

Daniel_M New Member

You also can't beat the classic "These Strange Ashes" by Elizabeth Elliot. It's a good one to read when one needs to be reminded Who is in control even when things don't seem to be going your way. As a matter of fact, maybe I ought to pull it back off the shelf again right now...

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Pamela.

So many wonderful stories of faith came out of those prison camps. We all know the story of Eric Liddell of "Chariots of Fire," but few know what happened to him after the movie. I have a book by David Michell entitled A Boy's War. David was a kid in the same prison camp as Liddell during the war, and it gives some interesting information about Liddell as a missionary. He was not one of the greats, but very faithful for the Lord. [​IMG]

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, C4K.

Seems like I've heard of To the Golden Shore, but I've never read it. What's it about?

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

It is a marvelous bio of Adoniram Judson. Has stirred my heart for missions like nothing else, until I read the Carey bio above.

TO THE GOLDEN SHORE

11. superdave

superdave New Member

To the Golden Shore is good.

I just read "Heroes Among Us" by Jim Ryun and sons, it has two or three great chapters on some missionaries. Judson, C.T. Studd, etc. Plus some other not so well known people who are much better heroes than the current crop our culture upholds as great.

Best Practical missions book I have read is "Let the Nations be Glad" by Piper.

12. superdave

superdave New Member

For modern missions, "Through Gates of Splendor" is very good.

The story of Jim Elliot and company who were killed by the Auca indians.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't know Piper had written a book on missions. I'll have to check it out sometime (after my ship comes in ;) ).

Through Gates of Splendor has had a wonderful influence down through the years.

14. superdave

superdave New Member

Its pretty good. Here's the Description from Amazon

Book Description
    Since its publication a decade ago, Let the Nations Be Glad! has provided thousands of seminary students, missionaries, and pastors with a sound theological foundation for missions. Piper now offers a revised and expanded edition of this theological and biblical defense of God's supremacy in all things.

Drawing on texts from the Old and New Testaments, Piper demonstrates that worship is the ultimate goal of the church and that proper worship drives missionary outreach. He describes prayer as the fuel of missions work because of its focus on a relationship with God rather than the needs of the world. He goes on to illustrate that while suffering is the price of missions, God is worthy of any sacrifice. He examines whether Jesus is the only way to salvation and discusses the extent of the missionary enterprise, seeking to define the scope of the task and the means to reaching "all nations."

This revised and expanded edition contains updated references to contemporary literature and debates and new illustrations and quotations. This edition also boasts a new preface and a final section devoted to the practical outworking of compassion and worship. Included in this new section is a chapter encouraging passion for God's supremacy and compassion for man's soul, based on Jonathan Edwards's musings on the unity of motives for world missions. Concluding this section is a chapter containing Piper's reflections on New Testament worship as an inner reality more than an external form.

Let the Nations Be Glad! is essential reading for all those involved in or preparing for missions work and provides inspiring theological reflection for college and seminary students. This book also offers enlightenment for pastors, youth workers, those involved in campus ministries, and all who want to connect their labors to God's global purposes.

We are reading the book as homework for an upcoming mission trip. I have discussed the first couple chapters on my Blog
    for the trip.

15. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I liked Bruchko, I had the opportunity to meet Bruce Olson, God used him to reach a whole tribe!

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. It is the best book I have read.

17. superdave

superdave New Member

Has anyone seen the previews for "End of the Spear" It is a movie by the company that produced "Beyond Gates of Splendor" and will be out in U.S. Theatres Jan. 20th. Looks like its the story of Steve Saint, with the whole story of the killing of the 5 missionaries in Ecuador, and the return of Elliot and Saints' wives to the tribe that killed them.

18. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

"Through Gates of Splendor" was the first book on missions i read as a young Christian in college...so it rates high for me.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I agree. It is the best book I have read.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I found her story in a short version on the Internet. (Can't seem to find it again.) Fascinating! I'll have to get the book. Thanks for sharing.