1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the best book ever on missions?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by John of Japan, Jan 10, 2006.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The whole thing is being discussed elsewhere on the BB. There is a controversy in that the actor playing Nate Saint is a homosexual activist--not just a homosexual as was the man who played the lead in "Chariots of Fire."

I find that to be very sad. Nate Saint was a man's man--courageous, God fearing, adventurous. There is no way on earth a blatant homosexual can play that part without his lifestyle affecting his acting. I saw that somewhat in "Chariots of Fire," where frankly the homosexual actor made Eric Liddell look a little sissified. Liddell was also a man's man who went to China as a single missionary and died in a Japanese prison camp.

My fellow missionaries are all very masculine and bold men. My co-worker Frank is former Air Force intelligence. He flew in the Viet Nam war zone listening to Russian fighter pilots, and sometimes landed under fire. He also flew on the border of Turkey and Russia listening to Russian fighter pilots, and one time heard a pilot ask for permission to shoot him down!

My other co-worker Dean is an ex-Marine. My good friend Tom is ex-Special Forces and a rocket engineer who worked on the space shuttle.

Wimps can't be missionaries--they either quit Bible college, quit the application process, quit deputation or quit shortly after they reach the field.

2. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

John,
    I agree that it is unfortunate. However, I saw the movie last night, and I knew that he was gay. I did not see one shread of it in his acting, and if one didnt already know of it, they would NEVER think it. Honestly, if he was the best ACTOR for the part, then let him act it. He is no more of a sinner than I was before I was saved, and he is no more of a sinner than you were. With everything I know about you, I think you will agree.

Let him play the part, and see what God does. If he is eventually saved, and he did a good job with the part, would this not be an amazing thing? Lets try looking through God's eyes, and not our own. He may have a much bigger plan that simply keeping gays out of our sight.

As for the Missionary books, God's Smuggler was my favorite for a long time, but it was recently trumped by "Under the Overpass" by Mike Yankowski. Changed my entire thinking about LIVING in the mission field.

I dont know anyone else who has read it. Are there any out there?

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's Smuggler was certainly a great one. I know a Bible smuggler who used to go into China. He was going to take our son with him once, but it didn't work out. That takes real courage. Personally, though, I admire most the missionaries who go into primitive areas.

Please tell us more about Under the Overpass, Desiderio. I've never heard of this one.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DD, I still oppose having a homosexual activist play Nate Saint, but have to say you did strike a chord here. I played a minor part in a Christian movie the same year I got saved, so I may have been unsaved when I played the part. I was a liar, thief and rebel before I got saved. The movie was a Sword of the Lord movie filmed in 1955 in Wheaton, IL, designed for evangelism. The title was, "Bringing In the Sheaves." I played John R. Rice's four-year-old grandson. ;)

5. DesiderioDomini

I can always count on you to crack me up.

As for "Under the Overpass", it is written by Mike Yankowski, who was a college student at the time. Here are a couple of reviews from Amazon.com

6. buckster75

buckster75 Member

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DD, sounds like Under the Overpass gives a whole new slant on cross-cultural evangelism! [​IMG]

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Annnnnnd, I am sure we would all agree. [​IMG]

9. DesiderioDomini

It does. Honestly, I have always felt that we push overseas missions way too much. I have great respect for those who have been led to leave this land, their homes, and take their familes to another country to spread God's word.

However, I know for a fact that as a church, we do not stress missions in our own back yards. SOME churches do, of course, and SOME christians do, but I have seen firsthand the things that Mike wrote of, and many churches here in Texas today would turn them away just like those did. This book expressed one loud and clear message:
    MT 25:40 “ The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’

If we claim to be christians, we must be willing to befriend the "least". Befriending is often the road that leads to salvation for people like that.

10. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Annnnnnd, I am sure we would all agree. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Hey John,
    From many discussions I have had both here and at different churches and schools over the years you might be surprised. Starting to wonder if very many who claim Christ have read much of the Bible at all.

11. DesiderioDomini

I would agree, many dont read their bible. However, what is the reason? Are they just bad christians, or is there another reason? Could it be that many feel its useless, since those around them will attempt to tell them what to believe anyways? Until the church encourages free thinking, we will always have a majority of christians who dont waste their time reading the bible.

12. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Acts 17:10 And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

We should never think of reading the Bible as a waste of time and we are to hold those who teach the Bible accountable but we can not do that if we do not search the Book ourselves. It is not free thinking we need it is Godly thinking.

13. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts 17:11 was the theme verse from the church I just left in Hawaii.

Our pastor wanted us to practice this verse after every service. Look it up!

14. DesiderioDomini

Make note, I dont think its a waste of time. MANY CHRISTIANS DO, however, since pastors and deacons forcing their beliefs on people has grown to epedimic proportions.

15. TennisNE1

TennisNE1 Member

"Christy" by Catherine Marshall

16. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

"To the Golden Shore"
    "George Muller of Bristol"

Both have had a serious impact on me.

I have also read a bio of Bunyan and of Wesley that have changed my opinion and methods for home missions...Taught me to think out of our "American model box" for evangelism.

Max

17. standingfirminChrist

I recently read 'China Cry' by Nora Lam
    and 'The Gospel Under Fire' by Wm. Thomas Bray.

But, I think one of my all time favorites is

'In God's Underground' by Richard Wurmbrandt

18. DesiderioDomini

I have never read this book of Wurmbrandt's, but I have read many quotes of his, and they are amazing.

He was discussed at length in the DC Talk book "Martyrs"

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read Tortured for Christ by Wurmbrandt many years ago, and once heard him preach. Very moving. However, Tortured for Christ is not a missions book per se, to me, though it might encourage missions. Wurmbrandt was essentially talking about his experiences in his own culture rather than missions per se.

StandingfirminChrist, I haven't read In God's Underground. How does encourage it missions?