1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Is the Best Rendition of Rom.1:5?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TCGreek, Aug 5, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I'm not after the entire verse, only εις υπακοην πιστεως, "unto obedience of faith."

2. Here are several versions on this part of the verse:

NASB: "to bring about the obedience of faith"

NIV: "to the obedience that comes from faith"

TNIV: "to faith and obedience"

KJV/NKJV: "for obedience to the faith"

ESV: "to bring about the obedience of faith"

NET: "to bring abou the obedience of faith"

A footnote in the NET on the Greek under consideration:

3. I tend to favor the reading in the NASB, ESV, KJV/NKJV, because the thought behind this prepositional phrase signifies that the prepositional phrase should express purpose: "Through whom [Jesus Christ] we have received grace and apostleship," then we have a eis to set off the phrase, which at times signifies purpose, and is clearly the choice here.

#1 TCGreek, Aug 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2007
  2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Old A. T. Robertson takes it as a subjective genetive and compares it to Rom. 16:26, which looks like a direct parallel to me. I think the KJV/NKJV rendering is fine. Other versions translating "for": Young, ASV, WEB, Darby, etc.

I usually think of eis as indicating direction, whether used for physical direction or metaphorical direction. In this case, since apostleship is the previous word, it makes a lot of sense to me to translate with "for."

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. If you were to look at a range uses of eis you will surely find that that metaphoric direction signfies purpose.

2. And when eis is used in the place of en, it hardly has motion toward in mind. Let's not limit the versatility of eis, for eis even have the nuance of "against."

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James Dunn writes: “the obedience of faith” is a crucial and central theme, structurally important in understanding the thrust of the letter.”

but he also adds that there are other opinions, including Herman Ridderbos’ in Paul: An Outline of his Theology, 237 (1975) who states:

“The genitive construction is probably to be taken as embracing both the sense “response which is faith” and “obedience which stems from faith”—“interchangeable ideas”

[Dunn, J. (2002). Vol. 38A: Word Biblical Commentary : Romans 1-8]

Rob

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

So both the objective and subjective genitives here, which would be considered the plenary genitive (Dan B. Wallace). Not bad!

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NLTse : so that they will believe and obey him

ISV : to the obedience that comes from faith

NJB : the obedience of faith

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Both the ISV and NJB take the genitive as objective, while the NLTse takes it as subjective.

Where do you stand?

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. And that is why I went for "for." The NASB, "to bring about the obedience of faith," sounds clumsy and forced to me. "For" is concise and gives the meaning of purpose.
    That's why I said "usually," not "always." :type:

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I missed your subtlety. :laugh:

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I stand on neutral territory between conservative biblical scholars who have different takes on this issue . ( How's that for an escape clause ? )

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

How can you be neutral?

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your courage is underwhelming, thou mugwump. :type:

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not my forte . I do have settled convictions on a whole range of matters , but I leave these technical issues to the experts . Carry on Sirs .

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I'm hardly an expert in these matters. I leave the expert and technical issues up to John; I just put in my 2cents worth of Greek from time to time.

#14 TCGreek, Aug 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2007
  15. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

I'll go with the appositional genitive meaning here.

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Hmmm...Interesting choice! What's the texual basis for the appositional genitive, "obedience, namely, faith?"

17. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Paul desires for his preaching to result in the gentiles believing. Their obedience to the gospel consists of faith. I think this comports well with the use of the same phrase in 16:26.

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Douglas Moo is one of the few commentators that I really enjoying reading. He says this about taking the phrase as appositional: "It improperly collapses obedience into faith, whereas in Paul they are usually distinct ideas."

2. His choice is to leave the phrase straightforward, though ambiguous, "'obedience of faith,' and to interpret the words in the phrase as mutually interpreting: faith, if genuine, always has obedience as its outcome; obedience, if it is to please God, must always be accompanied by faith."

3. Moo clearly takes the genitive as subjective, "obedience that flows from faith."

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I see credence for Moo's position in Romans 15:18, "I will not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me in leading the Gentiles to obey God by what I have said and done" (NIV, emphasis mine, εις υπακοην, "to obedience")

2. It must be assumed that this obedience springs from faith (1:5), interestingly among the Gentiles.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ooh, Moo! I had to read the entire 941 pages for a grad class. Excellent, but occasionally overly detailed and thus incredibly boring. :sleeping_2:

At any rate, as in 1:5 he has in 16:26 "for the obedience of faith." Concerning his translation, he says, "It is very literal, my purpose being to give the non-Greek-speaking reader as much sense as possible of the structure and ambiguity of the underlying Greek" (The Epistle to the Romans, p. 32).