1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the cost of the "public option"

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by targus, Aug 14, 2009.

1. targus

targus New Member

I say this statement in a news article...

"To reach agreement, Waxman earlier this week had accepted conservative lawmakers' demands to limit the bill's price tag to $1 trillion over 10 years, exempt more small businesses from the employer-provided insurance mandate, and reduce the number of low-income people who would qualify for subsidized coverage."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-healthcare-house1-2009aug01,0,7261961.story

Now this says to me that the "public option" will not be free health care to those without medical insurance.

So what will the cost be to someone signing up for the plan?

I see a lot of support here for the "public option" by a few board members and I assume that means that they would want to sign up for the program.

If you support the public option - what do you believe that the cost to you will be for the coverage?

How does that compare to your current situation?

If you are willing to pay to participate in the "public option" why are you not willing to pay for insurance now if you don't currently have coverage?

2. alatide

alatide New Member

I support a change in our health care system but not primarily for me if Medicare remains viable. I support it for my brother who would have to pay an exorbitant cost for insurance because of a preexisting condition. I support it for people like a woman I used to date who really wanted to change jobs due to a 2 hour commute each way but couldn't because she had a child with leukemia and wouldn't be able to get insurance in a new job. I support it for people like my 96 year old aunt who has severe Alzheimer's and just ran out of all her life savings. I support it for a friend of mine who has had a total of about $6M worth of medical bills due to an accident but is now barely surviving because his insurance is limiting his coverage. He told me the other day he couldn't afford to live much longer.

Do you understand what I'm saying? Some of us really believe that America will be a better country if it begins to show more compassion for the sick, the poor, and the elderly. I'm not primarily backing this for myself. I'm backing it for the people I mentioned and all the others out there that need our help.

3. targus

targus New Member

I agree that a solution for pre-existing conditions is necessary - but not that it requires changing the whole health care industry

Shouldn't this child be covered by CHIPS?

Shouldn't she be covered by Medicare?

Shouldn't he be covered by Medicare?

Actually, there is compassion for the sick, poor and elderly... Medicare, Medicaid, CHIPS, hospitals that treat without payment.

I thought that one of the big complaints was that we are spending too much money on health care.

But you missed my question... what do you think that the "public option" will cost the people that you listed above?