1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the "Crossless" Gospel?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Lou Martuneac, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Dear BB Readers:

I appreciated it very much when Sharper Iron announced the opening of Voice of the Evangelists.

Members and contributors to Voice of the Evangelists include: Dr. Chuck Phelps, Dr. Ron Comfort; Evangelists Dave Barba, Morris Gleiser, Steve Pettit, Mike Manor, Dave Young, Rich Tozour, Jim & John VanGelderen, Bryan Samms and many more.

Late in 2007 Evangelist Tom Farrell asked me to prepare an article on the Crossless gospel for publishing at Voice of the Evangelists. Earlier this month Voice published the first of what is a two parts series. The series is titled, What is the “Crossless” Gospel?

This is the link to What is the “Crossless” Gospel, Part 1.

This afternoon Voice of the Evangelists posted part two of the series: What is the “Crossless” Gospel, Part 2.

LM

#1 Lou Martuneac, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2008
  2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Don't know your purpose in the Crossless Gospel, and all you do is just "believe".
    I have always believed and taught to "believe" in Christ entails much more than just "believe".

We must include the entire scripture, in teaching others who is Christ. To do that, you would have to teach the "cross". IMO

1Cr 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

I would hope this is true with all peachers.

Gal 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

Jhn 14:12 ¶ Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

Romans 10
    10: For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

righteousness is not just a word, but includes the works of God.

11: For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
    12: For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

13: For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

14: How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15: And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

16: But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

17: So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Maybe I am missing something here.

BBob, :jesus:

#2 Brother Bob, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2008
  3. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Bob"
    I also recommend your reading Consistent Free Grace Evangelism? This article documents some of the most egergious errors and hertical statements coming from Grace Evangelical Society advocates of the Zane Hodges/Bob Wilkin Crossless gospel.

LM

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Brother it seems to me they are trying to make a way for the people in the jungle, who might not hear the Gospel.

BBob,

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

Lou,

GES answers an important question for Christians: "What about those who have never heard?" The "everlasting gospel" (fear/acknowledge God, glorify and thank Him - Rev 14:6-7, Rom 1:21) and the OT "gospel of the kingdom" were both "crossless gospels."

But are they "operative" today? Not among those who hear about Christ, for sure! And NOT ever unto sanctification of the believer (meaning they will not be indwelt by the Spirit but only "justified" before God -- they won't be raptured, only resurrected into Christ's MK). God is NOT sending human "ambassadors" out with this message today so why should it even concern the people of God?

And I am 99% sure the GES people have no earthly idea of these vagaries of their doctrine.

I would also caution them --- belief requires repentance else it accomplishes NOTHING. Even under the former gospels, belief required a self-denial and total trust in God.

skypair

#5 skypair, Jun 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2008
  6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There has never been any gospel but one and that gospel has always been centered on the cross. (Luke 24:44)

7. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Amen brother, amen. :thumbs:

8. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Agreed that the cross is central in the gospel. That said, the issue is NOT is what Christ did on the cross essential to salvation (free grace say yes) but how much KNOWLEDGE is required to be saved.

There is probably room somewhere between the "4 spiritual laws" and that 40 something page "tract" mentioned on, I think, Burlesons' blog.

ALL who trust in Christ for salvation will find it, according to my Bible.

I would agree the more knowledge the better. That said, if I come upon a dying person from a highway wreck who has never learned anything of Jesus I would not hesitate to urge them to trust in Jesus for salvation EVEN IF there were not time to give them a lot of theology.

I think saved folks often forget how impossible to understand theology is prior to regeneration.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believing in Jesus is theology.

10. skypair

skypair Active Member

Oh, me! What about before Moses, mitch? And what do "everlasting gospel" and "gospel of the kingdom" refer to then (I'm sure you are a big boy and can find these in scripture for yourself.)?

skypair

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not headed toward ME are you?

12. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Any "gospel" without the cross is heresy.

13. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Heretical by Reduction

Examples of the heresy of the “Crossless Gospel.”

Does anybody want to stand in agreement with this kind of reductionism?

LM

[1] Antonio da Rosa, Free Grace Theology, “Believe Christ’s Promise and You are Saved No Matter What Misconception You Hold,” (May 2006).
    [2] Ibid, bold added.
    [3] da Rosa, Free Grace Theology, "How I Might Do Evangelism With a Jewish Man," (September 2007), bold added.
    [4] da Rosa, Head of Moor, "Is This Heresy?," (May 20, 2008), bold added.

14. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

What about I Corinthians 1:18?

15. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

I'll get the details for you later, heading out. The Crossless advocates dismiss it as they do any passage in the NT that cleary shows the necessity of belief in the finished work of Christ for the reception of eternal life.

LM

16. skypair

skypair Active Member

Or "any gospel without the cross" is clearly PRE-CROSS, right?

skypair

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No. Any gospel without the cross is heresy, OT or NT.

18. skypair

skypair Active Member

So basically, they couldn't be saved in the OT?

Present their gospel message for me, if you can.

skypair

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No one was or is saved without the blood. When Christ died, he fulfilled His promise to Israel and His blood flowed back and covered their sins also.

Acts 4:

8: Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel,
    9: If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole;
    10: Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
    11: This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
    12: Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

BBob,

20. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

In the OT days they used sacrifices to atone temporarily for sins, and that had to be done on a regular basis. It's a wonder they didn't run out of animals. The OT looks forward to the future coming and sacrifice of the perfect Lamb of God on the cross. His blood is the ONLY blood capable of PERMANENTLY removing the stain of sin.