1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the difference?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by npetreley, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed New Member

On the contrary Nick, I think there are very good grounds for understanding this to mean men without distinction as opposed to men without exception.

At v.20 we se the entrance of foreign travellers from Greece, who are seeking after Christ (v.21).
    The message gets passed on from Philip to Andrew and then to Jesus that these Gentiles are seeking Him.

Now remember the time at which this happened. This was the lowest point in Christ's earthly life. The covenant nation had rejected Him. In a few hours they would be baying for His blood and would gladly watch as He was crucified. But we see the entrance of these foreigners who were being drawn to Him. As we read the passage, it seems strange at first that Christ seems to make no response to them at all, until we read v.32, and realize that they were still very much on His mind.

To say "all must mean ALL mankind" simply shows that we have been treating God's word like a box full of disconnected verses instead of an intelligent narrative.

- Paul

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my intent. I meant the verse itself is not explicit. It doesn't say "all peoples" in the Greek or "all men" in the Greek.

I agree 100% with your analysis of the context, though. That's the same problem Arminians have with 2 Peter 3:9 - they fail to look at the context of the verse containing "any" in order to answer the question "any of whom?"

I particularly like your description "treating God's word like a box full of disconnected verses instead of an intelligent narrative". Well put.

3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I actually don't have a real problem with the posslbility of the interpretation that "all" could mean "all" kinds, or whatever. I'm just pointing out the possiblities.

In Romans 5 you will notice that it says the "FREE GIFT CAME TO ALL MEN," but it never says that all men recieve the gift. A gift could come to someone without their receiving its benefits. It results in justification, but only for those who receive it.