1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the Great Commission?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Sep 14, 2010.

1. walkbyfaith

walkbyfaith New Member

Yeah, the point I was getting at was He was referring to people in that time....not in our time.

2. patharris

patharris New Member

Then my question would be, when were these promises ended?

I know some have said it ended with the Apostles, but other the verse they quote in 1 Corinthians I don't see it.

Patrick

3. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

Mark:16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

If Jesus is only speaking to that time period, He would of made a distinction.

In 16 the statement is just as true today as then.
    In 17 it does not say for that age only.
    It is a continuing statement that has to apply to then and now.
    So far all I see is if He was only speaking to apostles, and only for that time period, He has to switch time periods from one sentence to the next. Then He refers to two different sets of "believers" in two sentences.

#23 luke1616, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2010
  4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Do you heal Patrick? Raise people from the dead?

He said they would do greater works. Greater than what and how? Yes, greater than He. Greater how? Is it greater in number? Greater in wonder? What greater miracle has any one person "performed" than what Jesus has performed? I see none. If we consider the great miracle of preaching the Gospel, through this earthen vessel, and by the means it is accomplished, that is, that we are indwelt from above, then that is greater.

We have one on here who says he raises dead people, heals blind, and it is documented. I await documentation. He thinks documentation means what he types.

There is a total misunderstanding and misrepresentation of what Jesus said to His apostles going on here. A lot of presupposing. A whole lot of hocus pocus.

The greatest miracle one could ever "perform" would be preaching the Gospel, and the dead in sin, the spiritually blind life is transformed. This isn't exciting enough though so it gets twisted.

This is why we have word-faith. ANYTHING you ask in my name (authority) you will get it. So, we have those asking for riches, homes, cars, clothes, gold, silver. Those not driving a mercedes are mocked. We have had one preacher who would be taken home to heaven if he didn't raise enough money. (money, see? lol) What a shame to have to go to heaven! What twisted words is this, and twisted biblical value! Those in ear shot of this preaching are consumed with lust and covetousness. They twist Scripture that deals with this as sin. They also claim to do the miracles here. It's a false Gospel. Take a gander at Matthew 7:21-22. It perfectly describes this.

What's the problem? Why is this wrong desire (and it is wrong desire.) It shows you the covetous nature of man, it is the display of persons, and a displayof teh fleshly nature, those who love the world and riches. It gives a wrong view of God and the Gospel and makes Him another god at the will and whim of man. It's blatant heresy. Someone truly born-again that loves the things in the world? From misapplication here we have many false doctrines coming about. Then the line comes "you don't believe...lololololololol" and other foolishness.

The real Gospel is that Jesus died, was buried, and rose again. That is the message Paul and others preached, and declared, wherein we are saved by this message, and wherein we have our standing.

#24 preacher4truth, Dec 28, 2010
  5. walkbyfaith

walkbyfaith New Member

It all ended when the Bible was completed. All of it. He gave those powers to the apostles as a sign.....that they were the messengers so the people would believe.

The Bible is the messenger now. "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast".

He aint doing anymore miracles to get the people to believe. Healings? Yes, He heals those He wishes to heal.

There is a difference in a healing and a miracle. But man has no hand in a divine healing....its all Him. And man surely cannot raise the dead.

6. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

"There is a difference in a healing and a miracle. But man has no hand in a divine healing....its all Him. And man surely cannot raise the dead."

No one said man could do it. Jesus could not do it except God in Him did it. Man alone cannot by himself do a thing. So when a man lays hands on the sick, it is Jesus working through the man. If it were for apostles only, how did the 70 heal the sick? "The gospel is preached not in word only, but in power." That power means the Holy Spirit will show up and do miracles, confirming the word. Yesterday, and today. Give Jesus the glory!:thumbs:

7. walkbyfaith

walkbyfaith New Member

This was your first comment on this thread. These are things you claim we are commissioned to do. This is what started the whole discussion. Now your saying man cant do it.

The 70 you refer to were in this same apostolic time frame. Jesus sent them out to heal to get the people to believe.

It aint that way anymore. The Word is the way.

#27 walkbyfaith, Dec 28, 2010
  8. preacher4truth

Because Jesus specifically gave the number 70 this power. That's why. It never says they passed this gift on.

The Gospel was preached at Pentecost. In power. 3000 were saved, that is, the dead were raised and the blind saw, and they were healed. This is what "by His stripes we are healed" means.

The apostles after this did signs and wonders. Any other miracles by those other than apostles were at the most infrequent, and, this is the exception, not the rule.

9. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

I said man cannot do it alone, without Jesus in them. You said apostles only, now it's apostolic age because of the 70. Which is it? I keep hearing that this power has ceased. Where are the verses? Where does it say miracles through believers will stop when this book is finished? It does not. It is a persons experience that he has not seen it done that is now making doctrine, and it should be doctrine making your experience. It is hard to move a mountain and easy to tell a story. The first takes faith, the latter doesn't. God is pleased with faith.

10. walkbyfaith

walkbyfaith New Member

I told you where it said it......1Cor 13:8-10.

1Co 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
    1Co 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
    1Co 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

"that which is perfect" is the bible.

You seem to have great faith in faith. That faith should be in the word.

11. walkbyfaith

walkbyfaith New Member

We seem to be going in circles here. I'm not going to convince you, nor vice versa.

Lets just let it go.

12. preacher4truth

Well, patrick and luke better get busy and get out there today and start healing people. If they've been commisioned to do this, then they better get the going part of it going too. Why are they sitting at a computer arguing instead of going around healing people like they are commanded to do, thus disobeying the command?

We also expect a full report when you come back today, as in Luke 10. I want it fully scriptural.

You two need to get a move on. We'll be waiting.

13. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

When? Look in Chapter 14, these same things are to be desired. The verses you use mean that above all desire love, it will not pass away. It takes love for the sick person to heal them, it takes faith to move that mountain and faith works through love. Your taking a scripture out of context because you read "these things will pass" Now say when? Do you know? I'm glad this is a civil discussion.

14. patharris

patharris New Member

I wasn't trying to argue the point, just make a statment.

Never said I was commissioned to do it either.

Perhaps a little careful reading before spouting off.

15. preacher4truth

Theres where the truth about you lies. Name calling. Why edit out your "not really sure you would comprehend a written report anyway" part?

Yet it is me who is spouting off because I say, if you believe it you better get busy? OK.

Blessings

#35 preacher4truth, Dec 28, 2010
  16. walkbyfaith

walkbyfaith New Member

I told you when, time and again.

"when that which is perfect is come"

17. preacher4truth

Bottom line, if they believe they have this, they better get busy. There are a whole lot of folks out there that need healed.

Haiti would be a great place to start.

The truth of the matter? The truth hurts, I ask them to put some legs to this belief, that is where the rubber meets the road, then all of a sudden the replies such as above.

It's "Oh no, he called us on it!"

It's easy to sit at a computer and say you believe something. What we believe, we do.

#37 preacher4truth, Dec 28, 2010
  18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The dead are raised every day in response to the gospel...

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.​

HankD​

19. patharris

patharris New Member

Let's see I'm a member of and attend a SBC church, and they believe that people are healed.

In fact, they have had people come forward at the end of a service and be anointed with oil for their healing.

So it's really not that far fetched that some Baptists do believe in healing.

Patrick

20. preacher4truth

Yes, amen.

:jesus: