1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the greatest harm of Fred Phelps?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I have seen a couple of other threads on this board about Fred Phelps and I started wondering about the effects of his "ministry".
    First of all, I have no use for the man whatsoever. I think he is more of a shame to true cristianity than he is to anything else.

The point I see is that he is causeing good Christians to be too easy on the whole issue of sodomy.
    No one wants to look or be precieved as being like Phelps and I am afriad that a lot of poeple may not be standing up the right way just because he is doing things the wrong way.

May we always be unwavering in our stand for Christ.

Let's not be swayed one way or the other by exremeists but rather be solid and steady Christians.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Often non-believers see those people as idiots and not something they care to follow.

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

It's not just the way he treats homosexuals that non Christians don't want to emulate, it the way he treats everyone who doesn't believe exactly the way Fred Phelps believes.

I'm not sure there is one area in which he is worse than another, he is just all over totally mistaken. Well I take that back, there two things that he doesn't do that overshadows his whole "ministry": "Love thy God with all thine heart and love thy neighbor as thyself". Until he learns that verse is in the Bible and applies to his heart, he'll be nothing more than a wolf in sheeps clothing.

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I totally agree and I think that he is harming all of us by giving anyone he stands for Christ against the sin of sodomy a bad name.

I really don't think he is hurting the GLBT cause one bit. I think he in fact is helping them.

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Dale-c said:

First of all, I have no use for the man whatsoever. I think he is more of a shame to true cristianity than he is to anything else.

Heh. You make it sound like being a reproach upon the name of Christ is a small matter. The Phred Phamily is a blight upon Christianity and society, and the sooner they are gone and forgotten, the better.

6. gekko

gekko New Member

well that's real loving.

how bout something like "the phred phamily is a blight upon Christianity and society, and the sooner the demons inside them are gone, the better" ?

7. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

well that's real loving.

I'm sure that Paul's command to the Corinthians to turn the pervert over to Satan sounded that way too.

how bout something like "the phred phamily is a blight upon Christianity and society, and the sooner the demons inside them are gone, the better" ?

Why assume their filthy behaviour is the product of the devil, rather than the world or the flesh?

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Sure didn't seem like I thought it was a small matter to me!

9. gekko

gekko New Member

hmm. good question.

we do have a three-fold enemy: the world, the flesh, and the devil.

but who's the deciever?

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Satan is NOT omnipresent (and he isn't), he can only be in one place at a time. Odds are 6,300,000,000 to 1 that he is not bothering YOU.

Read Romans 7 and we find that the world pales in comparison and satan is almost non-existant when we understand our flesh and the gateway to sin it provides.

11. gekko

gekko New Member

yeeah. what of the fallen angels? do they sit back in their La-Z-bwoys?

or do they (like in new and old testament scripture) terrorize people?

they do have the same mindset of Satan... no?

12. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

IMHO, the worst thing Phelps does for Christianity is to give the impression that Christians are a hateful, self-righteousness bunch of people.

John 13:34-35
    34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
    35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
    (NIV)

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most are. Wait until some see you quoting from the NIV and you'll see hate and self-righteousness . . :laugh: :laugh:

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about 'em? :laugh: The three choices were "world", "flesh" and "devil". Which is the most harmful and causes the most difficulty for John Doe christian?

Paul said it's the flesh. I'll go with that! :saint:

15. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

gekko said:

]yeeah. what of the fallen angels? do they sit back in their La-Z-bwoys?

or do they (like in new and old testament scripture) terrorize people?

Outside of the Gospels, specific instances of demon-possessed people are quite rare. Paul, for example, does not expound on demonology. However, when he speaks about false teachers within the church, he is quite clear that their motivation is their own gain.

16. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

How very true. Sometimes it is a lot easier to blame satan for our sins that to accept responsibility for ourselves.

17. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Yes, but I read This Present Darkness! ;-)

18. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I really didn't understand what was going on when I first read This present Darkness but I later realized how flawed it was.

Basically, if Christians weren't praying, the angels were weak and then the demons were more powerful which made the GOOD of the world rest on our shoulders, but also implied fallen angels as the main culprit for the evil of the world.

God is not limited to "how much we pray" in order to do His will.
    Likewise, the Christian has no one to blame but himself for sin.

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Dr Bob has a really good point about the devil, as the Flip Wilson show use to use "the devil made me do it" is a 6.3 billion to one chance, and really, think he has got more important things than me. The flesh is our number one enemy towards sin. The world is just there, but does contribute. The responsibility is clearly on us.

As for this man's ministry, his web site is hate filled. A hatred in your heart for this group of people mentioned above it not what they need to hear the Gospel. To me, the hate and meaness in this man is just as great of sin as the gay lifestyle itself.

I also agree with Dale. Standing up for what is right based on a man you admire is one sad standard, only Christ deserves to be our standard.

20. mactx

mactx New Member

Well I never heard of him until yesterday, guess i won't go looking for him either!