1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the Jezebel Spirit?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Dec 13, 2007.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

What is the Jezebel Spirit?

What info do you have on this Spirit?

Do most female preachers have this Spirit?

Just asking.....

2. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

The name means Baal is exalted. So if the name's definition is any indication of what kind of spirit Jezebel might be, I'd say that it is the propensity to require others to worship idols, false doctrine and, in Jezebel's case, Baal.

3. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Is it true that this Spirit is in today's Church and that many fall under its spell. Is this why many say that Women should teach in church?

4. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

BUMP :godisgood:

5. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

I'm not sure about the "Jezebel spirit". Does the Bible speak of such? Are you referring to Rev 2:20?

The reason people uphold the idea of women preachers is that they are not satisfied with God's word on the subject. They do not think that God knows how to organize the church. They seem far more interested in feminism and political correctness than sound doctrine and Biblical correctness.

The Kingdom of Christ is not a democracy.

6. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

So is it okay for Women to be Pastors or Preachers? Some say its not and some say its ok? Should women have leadership roles in Church?

7. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

We should consult the Bible on this question, as with any other matter concerning faith.

In 1 Tim 2:12, Paul, by inspiration said, "But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence."

The way I understand it, the position commonly referred to as a "pastor" is one of authority, correct? If so, then a woman would not scripturally be authorized to serve in this capacity.

Also, "pastor" is another term for "elder", or "bishop", right? According to 1 Tim 3 and Titus 1, one of the qualifications for one who serves in this capacity is to be the "husband of one wife". No woman can be that.

Concerning a woman preaching, when we preach, we are to "speak as the oracles of God" (1 Pet 4:11). We are to do all, in word or deed, in the name (by the authority) of the Lord Jesus (Col 3:17). Someone delivering the word of God speaks by the authority of Christ. He also teaches with the same authority. Going back to 1 Tim 2:12, we see that Paul did not allow this.

I've tried very hard to keep my opinion out of this, since it doesn't matter. I've also tried to present what the Bible says on the subject. I may have missed a point here or there that another might point out. I hope this is helpful.

8. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Jezebel wasn't merely an idol worshipper. That is a too simple explanation of her "spirit".

Jezebel didn't just worship Baal, she did so defiantly. Arrogantly. And worse, she did so KNOWING beyond a doubt that the God of Elijah was the one true God. God had Elijah confront her with her sin many times, but she continued on.

Not only did she continue in the sin of idol worship, but used her position as queen to lead astray the entire country of Isreal (Judah?) into the same defiant idol worship she practiced.

Now how this relates to women preaching, I'm not sure. One thing Jezebel didn't do is to ursurp her husband's authority. He handed that over to her willingly.

Personally, I think women need to stick to teaching women(and children). If a man chooses to be taught by a woman, then she has committed no sin and neither has he. In this case there would be no "usurping".

9. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

I think the context implies the setting of a mixed assembly. Priscilla and Aquilla are an example of a woman teaching a man (Apollos) in a private setting (I've read that Priscilla being named first may indicate that she was the primary teacher).

As you said, if a man chooses to be taught by a woman, there's no problem. But when a congregation decides they want a woman preacher, they do so contrary to Scripture.