1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is the new Jerusalem Bible version?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Yeshua1, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anybody who claims the NJB is not a functional equivalent translation is untethered from reality. Because the NJB is a functional equivalent translation, it should not be relied upon for close bible study. Start with the NASB95, and compare with other versions such as the NET, HCSB, WEB, LEB, and interlinears.

#41 Van, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are unable to actually quote any passages from the NJB and deal with the subject of the OP --then simply leave the thread. It is as simple as that.

You are going on and on about how bad it is without demonstrating anything from any of its renderings. How futile is that?

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From The Gospel Of John

1:12,13
    But to those who did accept him he gave the power to become the children of God, to those who believed in his name who were not born from human stock or human desire or human will but from God himself.

3:16
    For this is how God loved the world: he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.

6:37
    Everyone whom the Father gives me will come to me; I will certainly not reject anyone who comes to me.

6:39
    Now the will of him who sent me is that I should lose nothing of all that he has given to me, but that I should raise it up on the last day.

6:40
    It is my Father's will that whoever sees the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and that I should raise that person up on the last day.

6:44
    No one can come to me unless drawn by the Father who sent me, and I will raise that person up on the last day.

6:55
    And he went on, This is why I told you that no one could come to me except by the gift of the Father.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    van - how many posts will you spew the same stuff over and over and over again? You said your piece; wisdom would be to walk away before your posts become so trite and irrelevant that no one listens to anything you say.

To me, that would be a wise move.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From John 10

Verse 11
    I am the good shepherd : the good shepherd lays down his life for his sheep.

Verses 14,15
    I am the good shepherd; I know my own and my own know me just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.

Verse 26
    but you do not believe, because you are no sheep of mine.

Verses 27-30
    The sheep that belong to me listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me. I give them eternal life; they will never be lost and no one will ever steal them from my hand. The Father, for what he has given me, is greater than anyone, and no one can steal anything from the Father's hand. The Father and I are one.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, I agree with Van's assessment - the NJB is only for devotional, NOT serious Bible study

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Dr. Bob, I nearly spilled my coffee when I read your post #46. Thanks.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets take a look at Hebrews 2:9 in the NJB.
    Here scripture reads Jesus experienced death so that all humanity would benefit. Other versions
    render that phrase
    He might taste death for everyone. (NASB, NRSV, HCSB and NIV)
    Jesus tasted death for everyone. (NLT)
    should taste of death for everyone. (WEB)​

As you can see, the NJB ran pretty far afield needlessly.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, indeed. I don't drink coffee so I will never spill it.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Finally, Your 17th Post Actually Mentions A Text!

ISV : ...suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might experience death for everyone.
    NET :...suffered death, so that by God's grace he would experience death for everyone.

The NET Bible and ISV are much like the NJB here. The word "taste" may not be the best word choice in this verse. As the NET Note explains --it is not a sample or small amount --but an experience of something --come to know something.
    As you can see --it did not.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tasting or experiencing death for everyone is a far cry from experiencing death so that all humanity would benefit. If you deny that "translation" is not far afield, we can just file it with the rest of your denials of the obvious.

The vast majority of translations have "taste" rather than experience. The Greek word does have a range of meanings from sample a small amount, to consume the whole, i.e. eat. Either English word, taste or experience, leaves to the reader to infer the degree of consumption, a little or a lot. So using experience rather than taste does not accomplish the basis of the deviation from the word's primary meaning.
    Jesus was dead for a short while, from the cross to the tomb, from Friday afternoon to sometime before the empty tomb was discovered Sunday morning.
    Sounds like He only tasted death and did not experience decay.

Whether the point of the phrase was the actuality of His death or the brevity of His death or both is best left up to the reader, rather than the translator in my opinion.

#51 Van, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2015
  12. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do agree, and find "taste" a better rendering. However I do not see experience altering the actuality or brevity interpretation of the verse. I believe the actuality is in play here. Taste(S1089) is used to describe death elsewhere, such as Jesus tell his disciples that they would taste death until they seen the kingdom of God(mt16:29, Mk 9:1, Lk 9:27, Jn 8:52). This refers to their experience with death. I have yet to find use of S1089 to refer to anything being brief. All uses seem to indicate taste, to eat, partake of, experience. Taste is closest to its original meaning, so even when used figuratively, I prefer it still to say taste. With that said, I still don't think "experience" is far afield or a poor translation. I just don't think it is the best word for word rendering. I am like you Van, in the sense I prefer the more formal translations(NASB, ESV, NKJV), but I do not think the NJB has a major issue with their rendering here.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks McCree79, your observation that taste death is used elsewhere is correct. But is it used for those not going to heaven?

Matthew 27:34 indicates Jesus only took a little of the drink, and did not consume it all.

Luke 14:24 also indicates a small sample, but enough to understand the content.

I only found one example of the "taste death" phrase that suggested the full extent of death, John 8:52, but even then if you look up to 8:51 you see the idea may be entry into death, i.e. "see" death.

Bottom line, I think taste is better than experience, but the far afield comment was directed at "so that all humanity would benefit."

14. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification. Obviously, not all benefit from his death and resurrection. Not in the salvation sense. Maybe very loosely, " all humanity" benefits from having a planet full of regenerated Christians walking around. That is overreaching though.

15. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That verse(NJB) could be used IMO to support the doctrine of universalism. Being a Catholic Bible, I don't have it.....not even a digital version. I would be interested in seeing renderings of
    1 Corinthians 15:22
    Romans 5:18
    1 Timothy 2:4
    2 Peter 3:9
    John 12:32

If some can cut and paste them, I would appreciate it.

16. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just as all die in Adam, so in Christ all will be brought to life.
    One man's offence brought condemnation on all humanity; and one man's good act has brought justification and life to all humanity.
    he wants everyone to be saved and reach full knowledge of the truth.
    The Lord is not slow in carrying out his promises, as some people think he is; rather is he being patient with you, wanting nobody to be lost and everybody to be brought to repentance.
    And when I am lifted up from the earth, I shall draw all people to myself.

18. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you sir!

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, even though it'sa R.C. translation, in 1 Peter 5:1 it starts off with :

I urge the elders among you as a fellow elder myself...

20. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ha! You think they would do something about that :)