1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the point of this verse?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Thats between him and God. It is not bringing the church down if we don't know of it.

Hey, join church and you can sow your wild oats!!!! You think that is an upbuilding to God's church?

2. Blammo

Blammo New Member

I hate sin. I hate when I sin, and when others sin. Also, I don't subscribe to the "what we don't know won't hurt us". When someone in your church is allowing sin in their lives, whether you are aware of it or not, it effects the body. That is why preachers need to preach against sin constantly. When we have sin in our lives we are not Spirit filled Christians, ready to take the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ to the lost. When we allow sin in our lives, we are not interested in taking the Gospel to the lost.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I agree Blammo;

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

10 percent of SBC pastors call themselves 5-point Calvinists
    Sep 18, 2006
    By Libby Lovelace
    Baptist Press

5. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I agree. To God all sins come from the heart. Look at each person in your life. All of us have sins we must deal with. If nothing else..we have pride of being good. Pride is sin. The ones that you know, that seem to have it all together...they have sins too. We all sin. To say other wise is foolish.

Now a public sin has other things we must deal with. But still...a sin is a sin.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Romans, chapter 7

"23": But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

Such knowledge!! Makes it soooooooo simple. Devil don't need to do anything it is being done for him.

#26 Brother Bob, Nov 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2006
  7. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Yes, you and I are in agreement here.

8. GordonSlocum

GordonSlocum New Member

6. If we say that we have fellowship with Him and {yet} walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth;
    7. but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.

"Just as I am" "oh Lamb of God I come" I believe that with all my heart. As I type this I am watching scores of people profess salvation from a pod cast."

As a believer God tells us the following: Part of the answer to your question.

Here is the specific answer to your question - I need not define it - it speaks for itself.

I John 3:9. No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

#28 GordonSlocum, Nov 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2006
  9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm curious as to your take on Ted Haggard in light of what you believe. Do you think he's a true Christian?

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No, I do not believe him to be a Christian Webdog. If He would do the right thing he would have his name removed from their books on his own and get right with God and then come back as a new convert. If he did not do this on his own then we would have to withdraw fellowship from him. How can light walk with darkness.

#30 Brother Bob, Nov 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2006
  11. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

So do you believe he lost his salvation with sin, or he was never saved?

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

Bob, even Paul had a sin problem. ALL sin before God is the same for to break one law is to break them all. There is only ONE sin greater than all, that being blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (that aside) as believers we still sin.

Rom 7:
    It is quite plain that Paul also sinned and it warred in his flesh against that part that could no longer be corrupted BY sin.

Anyone can fall short (believers) but the difference of believers verses those who are not is our RESPONCE to the sin revealed. Peter had to be rebuke publically due to his sin of think one is better than another and legalism. (this was a very serious charge against him) He did not admit it in the first nor do we (actually see) him recant or ask forgiveness. But in light of all agreeing with Paul and the other disciple that what was being done was wrong - we know what Peters responce was.

A child (of God) CAN stray but a child (of God) CAN NOT stay!

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Peter was not filled with the Holy Ghost at that time.

Never saved. All for money and the praise of men, He has already received his reward. I don't believe that Christian can do such a thing. Sorry but that is how I believe. Paul had a thorn in the flesh, doubt very seriously if he was doing the homo scene. Paul desired to be perfect as I think all Christians. All the time He was doing this (Haggard) for years, He himself knew he was a hypocrit but for other reasons would not leave the church according to him. I say his wife will leave him too, I would. I am totally amazed at all my good friends on here that believe that a Christian could do such a thing. Fault me if you must, but I do not believe that a man filled with the Holy Ghost could not do such a thing that the Lord said "giving themselves over to such things,"

Romans: 1
    24: Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
    25: Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
    26: For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
    27: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
    28: And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
    29: Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
    30: Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
    31: Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
    32: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

#33 Brother Bob, Nov 7, 2006
  14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Brother Bob, how do you explain Lot being declared "righteous" while living in sin?

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I don't believe in going back before they had the Holy Ghost within to justify something today. That was the very reason for the Grace Covenant and the doing away of the first that he second might be established. It was also an eye for and eye back then too, stoning adulterers to death. This guy would of been stoned to death if he had of lived back then, He at least does have a chance to repent and be born again of which he would not of had back then.

#35 Brother Bob, Nov 7, 2006
  16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. If His blood covrered the sin in the OT, don't you believe it covers it today?

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

There is a big difference. We can't say we are kept by the power of God and do such things, that would involve God in a Homo act.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I never seen this support for Swaggert or the other Jim Baker and look at how many really did forgive him and still accept him. Have you ever seen his TV program now.
    The world makes fun of us for such things and not wonder. Homo is a sin but you can be saved and do it but keep repenting and you be alright. We wonder what is wrong that so many are taking little boys out behind the house, well this is why. We uphold such things to just be a slip but they be alright. Baloney.

19. Allan

Allan Active Member

The whole "years" thing I do have a problem with, however what I was stating is that a christian can sin and even struggle with sin just as Paul did and still was saved. Yet NO man can judge another about their salvation. Yes, we can look at their fruit and see if there is anything to substantiate this but not whether one IS or IS NOT saved by what we see on the outward appearance for God alone sees the heart.

One other small point Bob:
    Peter WAS willed with the Holy Spirit at the time of Pauls rebuke for he was one of the 120 at Pentacost and which point scripture states "...they ALL were filled...".

And no, I doubt Paul was dealing with a homosexuality issue. But sin is still sin as all of it is rebellion in any form. So a person that can not keep an attitude of Love as well as not being able to be angry in perfect righteousness is just as sinful as the homsexual acts to God.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How would that involve God, I don't understand?

Rom 6:11 So, you too consider yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
    Rom 6:12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, so that you obey its desires.

We can be "dead to sin" and still "let" sin reign. Romans 6 shows that we can indeed "let" sin reign and "obey" it's desires. Paul said the same thing after pentecost...after he received the Comforter...

Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual; but I am made out of flesh, sold into sin's power.
    Rom 7:15 For I do not understand what I am doing, because I do not practice what I want to do, but I do what I hate.
    Rom 7:16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree with the law that it is good.
    Rom 7:17 So now I am no longer the one doing it, but it is sin living in me.
    Rom 7:18 For I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh. For the desire to do what is good is with me, but there is no ability to do it.
    Rom 7:19 For I do not do the good that I want to do, but I practice the evil that I do not want to do.
    Rom 7:20 Now if I do what I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but it is the sin that lives in me.
    Rom 7:21 So I discover this principle: when I want to do good, evil is with me.
    Rom 7:22 For in my inner self I joyfully agree with God's law.
    Rom 7:23 But I see a different law in the parts of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and taking me prisoner to the law of sin in the parts of my body.
    Rom 7:24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?
    Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with my mind I myself am a slave to the law of God, but with my flesh, to the law of sin.