1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the point of this verse?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Then there is the question of just what "bearing false witness" is supposed to entail.
    It seems as though it might have been originally intended to prohibit lying in a court of law. For the ancient Hebrews, anyone caught lying during their testimony could be forced to submit to whatever punishment would have been imposed upon the accused — even including death.

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I think a lie is a sin, and not a mistake. A lie is anything that is not the truth and the full truth. No such idea as a white lie that does not matter.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

So, if your wife asks, "do I look fat?" you say.....yes. :laugh:
    Sorry, couldn't resist!

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I think a lie is when someone makes a false statement to deceive someone such as in the Hebrew courts of Old.

You can say "you look just fine honey".

I would imagine if a Christian believes that all Christians tell lies then it is no problem for them. If they think it is a wrong then they will find a way not to lie.

1Pe 3:16Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.

#84 Brother Bob, Nov 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2006
  5. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

no....I point to the window and say..."oh my...look at that big dog". :)

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:laugh: Sorry to interrupt your discussion. It just seemed funny to me. Continue.

7. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Maybe this has already been brought up, but just for the fun of it...

1 John 1:8-10 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

It is not okay to sin, but we do, and we must confess it. After reading these verses, I would be more concerned about denying I sin than confessing I sin.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I don't think I know anyone who is denying sinning. We just are not the servants of the devil and become Homos while being Christians too.

9. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Yeah, I have a problem with believing that too. The guy sure did a good job of fooling many people for a long time. I like what one of the church members said:

Paraphrase: I am so thankful that my faith was in God and His word and not in pastor Haggard.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Blammo;
    I preach over and over no matter where I am called for them not to put their faith in man, not me or anyone else but put their faith and trust in God. I also say it is alright to follow me as long as I follow the Lord as Paul said. I would that you be follows of me as I am also of Christ. I may not of quoted that just right but as James said about misquoting. I am not telling a lie, lol. But if tell them if the follow me still put their trust and faith in the Lord. I am afraid if someone puts me too high on a pedestal for I am sure to fall off. Members and neighbors will sometimes put you too high and you just can't let them for you can't stay there for we are just human, so we give God the credit for everything and yes Calvinist, our Salvation.

#90 Brother Bob, Nov 8, 2006
  11. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Amen, Brother Bob. Also I think it would be wise if we remember these verses:

Galatians 6:1-3 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.

I can't even imagine doing what Haggard did, but there are other areas of weakness that I struggle with. I fear that if I am too harsh in my judgement of others when they sin, I may lose track of my own feet and stumble.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

My biggest fault is getting angry. I am worse with all the sickness for I have to struggle just to get through the day and any undue stress is hard for me to handle. I have no desires whatsoever for things of Satan that I am not to have that I know of but still I am full of weakness. I think I can say of a certainty that I would never kill, steal, commit adultery, worship idol Gods and such. The steps of a Good man are ordered of the Lord. Now they either are or not, and in no way did the lord order that man to be a homo. I say make it as sure as you can and then if we miss Heaven it won't be because we did not try.

13. jne1611

jne1611 Member

For once be honest? As expected, No answer to the questions.

14. jne1611

jne1611 Member

Bob, nobody is talking about (Or at least I hope not) living a sinful life or becoming a Christian Reprobate. We are talking about a fall into sin. Do you deny that a Christian can fall into the sin of adultery for instance? Would you put them out at once? Or give them a chance to repent?

15. jne1611

jne1611 Member

This is great. Confession is good for the soul. I get angry to. I have more of a problem with this than any thing else for my job life has stressed me to my bounds.

But, just to see your exact thoughts on this matter at its core.
    You told me on another thread, you could live with killing someone if it meant protecting your family as could I. But you nor I could take a strong stance on whether that would still be a sin or not. But say it would be. I do not believe that if that happened, it would prove we are lost. Do you?

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Withdraw from them. I don't believe you can get right while being a hypocrit. I think I would be doing them wrong to keep them and make them think they were right when their actions proved otherwise. You all can practice sin all you want but for me and my house we will serve the Lord.

1Ti 5:8But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

I think to provide for my family is to protect them also. You can call it sin if you want but I call it an order from the Lord to protect my family.

It would be a sin if I let someone hurt them through cowardness or something.

I would not be happy about the matter and pray it never happens. If it did I would do my best to stop him without killing him but if he got killed in my stopping him then so be it for I would be providing protection for my family as the Lord told me to do. You might get by with hurting me but not my family.

#96 Brother Bob, Nov 8, 2006
  17. jne1611

jne1611 Member

As to the first comment. Practice sin? Are you accusing me of practicing sin, when I expressly told you, I am not talking about making it a lifestyle?
    What about Paul saying we are to restore such an one? What about Christ saying we are to go to them three times before the matter is brought to the church? Sure if they are not going to repent, but are you telling me that if you had a brother fall into sin in your church, you would just throw him out without trying to help him spiritually get back on the right? And what would you do if the repented when the sin was brought out? Throw them out anyway? Or tell them they were lost?

To the second. I have no problem with your use of that verse, but what would you do if someone told you you were supposed to love your enemies?

#97 jne1611, Nov 8, 2006
  18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Say if a brother offend you, go to him. Not sin.
    But we do sin and that is what it is talking about also to restore. Not from a lost state to salvation. Also, no sins like homo.

Mat 24:43But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.

Could I ask you a question? Why are you spending all this time and effort trying to defend bad sins? What not spend this effort to try and upbuild the church to be a clean place and not the world?

Why are we on opposite sides when it comes to keeping a clean church? If I wanted the world I would of just stayed out there.

#98 Brother Bob, Nov 8, 2006
  19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If the steps of a good man are ordered of the Lord then how can he be out being a Homo, while also standing in Holy ground in the pulpit? Don't you ever think, maybe I need to get of BBob's side for a change for he is standing up for the Lord's house.

I believe the Lord shoud come first, not you, not me and certainly not that Homo. As a Christian why are you not standing up for the house of the Lord instead of a Homo?

#99 Brother Bob, Nov 8, 2006
  20. jne1611

jne1611 Member

Defend bad sins? You have said enough to let me know there is no point talking about this any more. Your bent on falsely accusing me of defending sin when I have not! That is all.:sleep: