1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the point of this verse?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Romans: 1
    "22": Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

"23": And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

"24": Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

"25": Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

"26": For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

"27": And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

"28": And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient.

Men have made their own council and doctrine instead of the word of the Lord.

2. jne1611

jne1611 Member

2Th 3:6 Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.

2Th 3:11 For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.

2Th 3:14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.
    2Th 3:15 Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

Verse 6 was the verse you cited as a defense of what you were saying. I see the withdrawal you spoke of, but, Paul speaks of this disobedient one as a brother.
    I get the point Paul makes when he commands us not to eat with some one who is called a brother that practices a lifestyle of open sin.

I guess the only difference in what we see from all this, is that, I believe a Christian can fall into open (even the ones on the big list) sin. I believe it is possible to commit such things as a saved man. No. I do not believe he will stay that way. I believe the chastisement of the Lord will get him right or take him out of this life.

1Co 5:1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.
    1Co 5:2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.
    1Co 5:3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,
    1Co 5:4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
    1Co 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

This appears to be a chastisement to the destruction of the body for sin.

1Co 11:32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

I do believe that a good mans steps are ordered of the Lord. But that by no means takes away our ability to sin. If we have the ability to commit what some would consider little sins, then that means the Lords ordering of our steps does not destroy our ability to sin & so the possibility is there to fall to the big sins as well.

But I can stand with you in the sense that a practice of those things puts one in the category of the lost.

Falling into those sins themselves. I believe a Christian can.

As to the homo issue. To me, from what I get from Rom. 1. This is not even a natural lust of the flesh. Nor is molesting children & such. Paul said they changed the natural use into that which is against nature. I do not believe myself that a Christian could get caught up in that. If there is Biblical proof to that affect, that he could, I would like to see it.
    That is just my opinion on that subject. I am not really sure on that.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I want to thank you for your answer and most of all for studying my posts before giving that answer. I am glad you agree with me on the Homo thing anyway and you also feel bad over someone who you believe can commit such things but receive chastement and be alright. I believe is what I call little sins but not the big ones (my words) I know someone will say that is not scripture so I will answer now.
    As far as entreat someone like that as a brother, we are taught and I teach to entreat those who we withdrew from as brothers and sisters and maybe by our love and kindness they will repent and come back. Thanks again for your answer Bob

4. jne1611

jne1611 Member

No problem. I know it seems that I do not read most of what people say to me & may be a while before I get back with them, but I do study what I have offered to me.