1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what is, the prayer of salvation, exactly?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Darren, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are those words conveying in your opinion?

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't have a problem. I understand the difference between a mental assent and acceptance in the heart.

Repentance means "a change of mind". When I put my faith in Christ it was because I changed my mind (under the conviction of the Holy Spirit) about sin and it's consequences in my life and turned to Christ.

I don't see a dilemma. Confession is simply an acknowledgment that something is true. (It doesn't have to be "spoken")

I can't answer what others believe.

3. HisWordIsTruth

HisWordIsTruth New Member

Well let me ask you this Amy and we'll see if that is true or not.

Do I have to "confess" verbally acknowledge what I have believed in order to go to heaven or if I believe and simply say nothing will I still go to heaven?

I think I would agree with this. However this statement of yours is "not" how most people view "repentance".

They say I have to be sorry for my sin and make a commitment not to sin any more.

4. HisWordIsTruth

So are you admitting that Romans 10:10 does not say the same thing you said?

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

To believe to such would be to espouse two differing salvations. That would be heresy.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What if Webdog taped my mouth shut (shut up WD!) so that I could not confess verbally my faith in Christ. Would it nullify my faith and cause me to miss salvation?

Of course not. Confession, as I said before simply means to acknowledge something is true. That's the spirit of the phrase, "confess with your mouth".

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think I own enough tape ;)

:laugh:

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You've done it now! I'm getting the rolling pin that I usually reserve for TinyTim. :laugh:

9. HisWordIsTruth

Okay if I don't have to confess to be saved, then what is Romans 10:9 talking about because it says I do have to confess in order to be saved.

Again this is the delimna. Some say Romans 10:9 is speaking of everlasting life. However you just said I could have everlasting life if I don't confess.

How do you deal with that contradiction?

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

If it's not speaking of everlasting life, then what is it speaking of?

11. HisWordIsTruth

Then revmitchell you are only left with two possibilities. One is that Paul was lying, and I know you are never going to admit to that, or as webdog has said you wrap up everything into "beleive". The problem with that is there is not a single text of Scripture that says that.

If there is another option I'm missing it, so feel free to tell me what it might be.

12. HisWordIsTruth

We're starting to talk in circles now. Do you agree with me that it's "not" talking about everlasting life?

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Feel free to give us all your interpretation of this passage. We are all waiting on the edge of our seat.

14. standingfirminChrist

Here comes his promotion of Zane Hodges' brainwashing.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

By the way, this is the same path Jason (of which we know you are) used to espouse ME. This post as is a few others is clear evidence of who you are and what you believe. It is heresy.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Not talking in circles. I've answered all your questions to the best of my ability according to my interpretation of scripture.
    Now answer mine. What is the Romans 10 passage referring to? What is your interpretation of it?

17. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

James 2:18
    Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

James 2:19
    Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

James 2:20
    But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

James 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

James 2:22
    Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

James 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

James 2:24
    Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

James 2:25
    Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

James and Paul do not contradict themselves. Works is the RESULT of saving faith (not just "believing"). Just "believing" produces NO FRUIT. As you see from the epistle of James that the devils also "believe" and tremble! You can believe that there is water in the pipes, but until you actually turn the faucet on, your belief will be just a belief. Confession will always be the outflow of (result) of belief in the LORD Jesus Christ....not just the facts about Him.

Acts 16:31 pulled out of context does not the gospel make. The jailor was repentant BEFORE he asked Paul and Silas "What must I do to be saved" or he would not have even asked. Then AFTER Paul had preached to the jailor and "all his house" they were all baptized (which was their confession of their BELIEF in the LORD Jesus Christ). There was evidence of saving faith when all the verses are taken in context, starting with verse 26:

Acts 16:26 And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one's bands were loosed.

Acts 16:27
    And the keeper of the prison awaking out of his sleep, and seeing the prison doors open, he drew out his sword, and would have killed himself, supposing that the prisoners had been fled.

Acts 16:28
    But Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, Do thyself no harm: for we are all here.

Acts 16:29
    Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,

Acts 16:30
    And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

Acts 16:31
    And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Acts 16:32
    And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.

Acts 16:33
    And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.

Acts 16:34
    And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.

Also, Ephesians 2:10 follows verses 8 & 9:

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Ephesians 2:9
    Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Ephesians 2:10
    For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Scripture states that we need to believe in the gospel (the death, burial, and resurrection) of Jesus Christ and confession will follow that belief, (Romans 10:9-10), otherwise our faith is in vain. (1 Cor. 15:1-4) That is saving faith....and this saving faith willresult in good works. (James 2)

#117 Linda64, Apr 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2008
  18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I have no intention of getting really deep into this, but will merely answer the question found in the thread title.

A totally useless, confusing, meaningless, 'religious'-sounding, catch-word, phrase - nothing more or less!

And I have heard (and continue to hear) this phrase used innumerable times, over the years. It has been 'used' so often that it has become one of the many phrases of "Canonized Rhetoric" that we hear, so often, - empty and devoid of any Biblical meaning (although some of them contain false teachings ensconced), but oft-repeated, nonetheless.

BTW, phrases such as "The sinner's prayer" (doesn't exist);
    "Repent of your sins"(Phrase never found in Scriture);
    "Commit your life to Jesus" 'Committing' is for the one who has been saved, not in order to get saved!);
    "Give your heart to the Lord" (He said He would give me a new heart; He never said anything about wanting my old one.);
    and "Make Jesus Lord" all fall into this category, as well, with the last one actually reaching the pinnacle of arrogance, and actually above that of Satan, where Satan said "I will be like the Most High!"

Exactly how much arrogance does it take for a human being to tell God, the Son - the Lord Jesus Christ, the Second Person in the Triune Godhead, the Creator of (and the one who actually holds together) all things, One who already is Lord, since the Triune God made Lord, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, and on and on I could go, here -- exactly how much arrogance does it take ?? to tell the Savior of the World that now 'I'm going to help God and you out', because 'I'm going to "make you Lord of my life" '!?? I don't know the exact amount, but it certainly has to be "a bunch"! (L.C. says to announce that "you" was deliberately not capitalized, above.)

Satan only intended to "be like the Most High"; this teaching actually makes the created man above the Most High. I do not use throw around this phrase lightly or often, on the BB, but along the lines of a book of a few years ago, written by the late Episcopal Bishop, Jame Pike, titled If This Be Heresy, I will merely say this. There ain't no "IF" involved, here; THIS BE HERESY!!

(Ed now grabs his hard-hat [​IMG] to avoid getting hit on the head from the, certain to come, bricks!) :tonofbricks:

Back to the title: To my knowledge, there is not one Scriptural reference to any such thing, hence it is entirely meaningless, even though I do believe it is usually asked by well-intentioned individuals. But it (and the rest) simply is not Biblical. :(

OK, back to the regularly scheduled argument: :thumbs:

"Carry on!"

Ed

#118 EdSutton, Apr 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2008
  19. HisWordIsTruth

Well Mark I know it disappoints you, but I have not "espoused" anything. All I am trying to do is get folks to look at what the Scriptures "say".

So far very few are willing to do that. Amy seems to be the only one so far.

Everytime you are hit with a conflict you fall back on this Jason Jump stuff and try to change the subject. To borrow a phrase from webdog that speaks volumes.

20. HisWordIsTruth

No there is one that you have left unanswered and that is why I said we are starting to talk in circles, because you are wanting to skip ahead when we haven't come to a conclusion on the foundation.

So I'll ask again. Do you agree that Acts 16:30-31, Eph. 2:8-9 are not speaking of the same subject as Romans 10:9 and other areas of Scripture (gospels especially)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.