1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the purpose of preaching?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Old Union Brother, Apr 25, 2011.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Calv1, as humbly as I can say this...I scored a 41 on the wunderlic test :)

Like Skan stated, it's awfully arrogant to think intelligence or lack of is the reason for embracing or rejecting your doctrine. The same Holy Spirit indwells me and the majority of true believers who do not accept your doctrine. Just saying.

2. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

You are absolutely right, I'm very sorry. I don't mean to tear down the brothers.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Preaching is used to show how little we know, and how much God knows!! :)

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The *real* reason why any of us preach, is to show how glorious our Father in heaven is!! To show that He is willing to save anyone who will believe in Him. It is also a means to give strength to His children(feeding the flock, so to speak). Also, it is a lighthouse on the seashore, shining a light to the "wayward ships", that are looking for a "safe haven"........

I love you Bro. Jeff!!! Is the second sunday in May still on??? I mean, will you be there that day?? Good Lord willing I will be there that day!!

i am I AM's!!

Willis

5. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

If you were in education or studied the history of education, you would understand. Attempting to teach to every level of understanding & maturity does not work. The content cannot meet the "milk" needs of the immature & the need for "meat" by the mature believers at the same time. This is a fact of any type of education.

I also base my view on the experience of being any many IFB & Missionary baptist churches. I've only known one pastor(not IFB or MB, just IB) who taught the meat of the Word from the pulpit; the rest were shallow, milk-laden denomination doctrine sermons. It was what I needed, but was too deep for new believers.

I don't know your members, but if they primarily obtain their spiritual nourishment form sermons, my 17yr old daughter could have he most seasoned among them saying "I'll ask my pastor & get back to you" within 5 questions.

The Great Lie of our day is that believers need the mediation of a religious leader(priestly pastor) for their spiritual growth. This is antithetical to the gospel or Christ & the New Covenant & is one of Satan's greatest deceptions. Believers need qualified teachers who can study & teach the Word without personal, experiential, or denominational bias; not self-authoritative sermonologists.