1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the Purpose of the law To christians Under new Covenant?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by DaChaser1, Jan 27, 2012.

1. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

What you highlighted here was YOUR theolgy!

can you back that up from the Bible?

2. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

We do NOT hate the Commandments, its just that we beklieve that Jesus kept them ALL for me already, that I am justified already by Him, and that my 'requirement" today is to live for God by the HS empowering me, NOT by ritually observing trying to keep all Commandments!

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You hate them because you reject them.
    Who will be admitted into heaven?
    "Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city." Revelation 22:14

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Again, Do you have scripture to support your view?

5. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

yes!

Ephesians 2:8-9

saved by grace and faith ALONE, NOT ANY good works, lest one can boast!

What verses do you use?

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That does not answer the question.
    You wrote;
    So its ONLY those saved by the Grace of God AND kept his commandments well enough to enter in

Where is your scripture to back this up?

7. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

that is NOT my belief, based upon your postings, that is YOURS!

What scriptures would you cite for that?

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No that is what you said so it must be your belief.

9. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

This is my belief in this area!
    We do NOT hate the Commandments, its just that we believe that Jesus kept them ALL for me already, that I am justified already by Him, and that my 'requirement" today is to live for God by the HS empowering me, NOT by ritually observing trying to keep all Commandments!

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Like I said anyone who stands against them hates them. It is just like the command to hate our mother and father. It is not a feeling but a position of who or what we choose. True believers keep the commandments and they are what we will be judged by.
    Who will be admitted into heaven?
    "Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city." Revelation 22:14

11. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

judged by the "quality" of the good works in the name of Christ, JUST for purpose deciding IF rewarded or not for them, NOT if we totally kept the Commandments, as NONE get to heaven that route!

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which commandments?

Those found in the Law of Moses of which there are 613 (which includes the 10) many of which are impossible to keep today in the 21st century or the NT Commandments of love which fulfills the law?

Romans 13
    8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
    9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.​
    10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Galatians 5
    14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
    16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Galatians 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

This kind of New Testament commandment keeping is from the heart, from the new nature within us because the Spirit of God indwells us and not the trumpeting of the flesh to try to impress God and for others to see:​

Luke 18
    10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
    11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
    12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
    13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.​

HankD​

13. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Jesus makes it pretty simple in this area of "keeping the law"

Abide in Him, act of your will, yield to the HS, again, act of your will, and thusfulfill the law of Christ!
    That is the law to keep today!

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There is NOT 613 commandments. That is a traditional teaching that has been started by the Jew and many people (mostly pastors) jumped on it without checking it out.
    No Christian biblical scholar holds that there are 613 commandments. This is a Jewish fabrication by taking scripture and many times reading into it things that are not there.

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.

16. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

The things that I had posted WERE what he commanded for us to do!

Unless we abide in Him, and stay empowered by the HS< really nothing else matters!

Our flesh CANNOT keep the law, no matter how hard we try!

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The Law was/is our sins on a "billboard". It shows that we are self-deficient, and not self-sufficient. It shows us how sinful we are without Christ. It is what brings us to Christ. Jesus then places us in Him, and we are no longer under the Law, but under Grace.

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes but as usual you leave out most of the commands. You cannot separate the flesh from the spirit as we are one. Jesus said from the heart proceeds sin. If our flesh is doing it then our spirit/heart is doing it and no believer practices sin.

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

May I point out a misconception about not being under the law. That only means as believers the law cannot kill us when we fail. It does not mean we are not to obey the commands of the Lord. True believers keep the commandments because Jesus said if you love me keep my commandments and all believers love Him.

20. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

back to concept of sinless perfection again, Eh?