1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the Purpose of the law To christians Under new Covenant?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by DaChaser1, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I think it describes an attitude about sin. The person who "practices" sin, is indifferent to it. They sin because it's pleasing to them. They have no conviction or guilt about it.

This is not possible for the believer. A believer has a hatred for sin and doesn't want to sin. But because we are in the flesh, we still sin. However for the believer, he is immediately convicted by the Holy Spirit. Have you ever sinned and felt like an elephant was sitting on your chest? Those of us who love God will immediately seek His forgiveness. The unbeliever will not. He will continue to go on sinning. (Practicing sin)

That's my humble opinion anyway.

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

3. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

good!

Think that its the fact that there will come a time when the HS will "bring to their senses' a Christian, that while a saint/sinner can BOTH live for a period of time in sinfulpractices, the saint WILL repent and come baclk to the Lord for restoration of his fellowship, while the sinner will keep on going his way!

the saint during this time will be convicted, feel the disconnect between Him and God, and find his way back!

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

define "period of time".......

5. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

varies from saint to saint, aslo depends on what type of sin areas they will deal with!

example would be IF someone say has problems with anger, may be 'blowing up' for prologued period of time, but each time realises its wrong, confess/repent it to God, and will eventually get to where unsderstand that though the enabling of the HS, can really stop doing that/overcoming that habit!

sometimes takes time as we have to unlearn bad habits/practices, and relearn how to act and think now Christian!

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No there is not several hundred. We are not under the ceremonial commands.
    Here is what we know baseed on the words of Jesus and the NT writers.
    Are God's commandments burdensome to those who are truly born again?
    "For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world - our faith." 1 John 5:3, 4

What motive should prompt us to keep God's law?
    "If you love Me, keep My commandments." John 14:15

1John 2:4
    He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 John 3:9
    Whosoever is born of God doth not commit (practice) sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot (practice) sin, because he is born of God.

Who will be admitted into heaven?
    "Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city." Revelation 22:14

You tell me which ones we are to be keeping.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

NO there is never a time when a Christian can practice sin 1John 3:9. If a person is practicing sin they are not saved.

8. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

are you saying that a saved person will NEVER have a period of time where they can be found in a sin?

say they came out of drugs/alcohol addiction, God saves them, but if they were to smoke pot for a time, or still stop at a bar on way home to unwind, they were not saved?

I see the Bible saying that one can be really saved by garce of God, but still might take time to deal with sin areas/strongholds of satan, and will need to learn just how to fight of eveil one and how to resist the desires of the flesh!

Else, why does God warn us against allowing the devil a foothold into our lives as Christians, and the writer of hebrews asks us to "put aside" those besitting sins that hinder our race...

definitely sounds like christians can become "practicing sin" IF we don;t heed admonitions of God!

#68 DaChaser1, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
  9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

It is not what I say but what the Lord says in His word. 1John 3:9 Just believe that the word of God means what it says instead of contradicting it or trying to find exceptions and you will be on the right track. So Again let me refer you to the search feature as this is another question that you have asked many many times.
    I will say this. Just because someone says they are saved does not mean they are and just because they are told they are saved does not mean they are, and just because they think they are saved does not mean they are. They are if their lives in are agreement with what the bible is in a believers life not for any other reason. That is why the strong warning that not all who call Him Lord are really known by Him.

#69 freeatlast, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
  10. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

You do realise that you are now sounding like a Pharisee in regards to just who is saved, gets saved, shows their saved etc, don't you?

I ask you to PLEASE reconsider this, as you would be blessed to see that the Lord saves us by grace, keeps us by grace, and that we can overcome, but are not perfect!

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You keep trying to go back to how to get saved. This is not about how we get saved. If the word of God is Pharisee like to you that is your problem not mine. Here is the truth about what the commandments is for in a believer life.
    Are God's commandments burdensome to those who are truly born again?
    "For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world - our faith." 1 John 5:3, 4

What motive should prompt us to keep God's law?
    "If you love Me, keep My commandments." John 14:15

1John 2:4
    He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 John 3:9
    Whosoever is born of God doth not commit (practice) sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot (practice) sin, because he is born of God.

Who will be admitted into heaven?
    "Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city." Revelation 22:14

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Remember, a tree is known by it's fruit. A palm tree doesn't bring forth bananas, an apple tree doesn't bring forth coconuts, etc. If someone is practicing sin, they are a sinner, and not a christian.

13. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Sp pau;ied about the sin nature, as did John, and IF we cannot be found sinning, what about besitting sins, allowing Devil a hold into our lives?

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

That which I bolded, :confused:

are you typing in Cantonese? I can't understand Cantonese or that which I bolded.

Please clean this up a bit, so I know what I am responding to, okay?

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

The Moral Law still bears witness to the character of a holy God and what he expects of humanity.

16. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Jesus fulfilled all of the Law........

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

So it is okay to steal and so on, now?

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Matthew 22:35-40

35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Mark 12:28-31

28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?

29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

These are the Commandments were are required to keep now. If we keep these, we will not kill, steal, lie, fornicate, worship idols, etc.

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Let me offer my view of the matter: 1. Here's Paul on the matter: "Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law" (Rom 3:31 NIV). 2. Paul says, "So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good" (Rom 7:12 NIV).

Keep in mind, that to fulfill doesn't mean to abolish. That was Jesus point. Rather, Jesus fulfilled where we failed, in respect to the Law's demands.

We're still required to keep the Law but now we're talking about the difference between Law and Gospel.

20. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

2 Corinthians 3
    1 Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as some others, epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you?

2 Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:

3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

4 And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:

5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;

6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?

9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.

11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:

13 And not as Moses, which put a veil over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:

Jesus abolished the Law, meaning, we no longer offer animals on our behalf. He is our Sacrifice.