1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the Purpose of the Local Church

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

After the prayer, edification, and fellowship have taken place what kinds of instructions are to be given? What should beleivers be taught?Do they learn to practice personal evangelism,living a holy life,how to get along with thier families,wives,other christians, & non-christians. Are they taught how to live the Christian life so that it will be attractive to non-christians.
    I once worked with a lady in Seattle ,sat next to her every day.Pretty soon she asked my why I was so happy all of the time? How come she could hear me singing softly songs about God(hymns, I love to sing hymns).She asked me why I was a Christian and then I had the chance to tell her.She accepted what I told her very graciously.We would talk from time to time.She began taking meals with me breakfast and lunch in the cafeteria & we would talk about what I beleived, the Bible and church. I showed he what the Bible said about salvation.She went to church and after hearing the preacher's sermon she accepted Christ as her Lord and Savior.
    Now what do you think my point is?

2. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

3. SBGrace

SBGrace New Member

Luke 14:23 “So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind. 22 And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room. 23 And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.”

Acts 2:41-47 “Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls. 42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. 43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles. 44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common; 45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need. 46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, 47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people.

<B>And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.” </B>

4. SBGrace

SBGrace New Member

[​IMG]

Too many pastors spend their Sunday morning services trying to get that 1% who are lost saved and ignore the spiritual growth of the other 99%.
    The Holy Spirit can save someone just as easily through verse by verse sermons through the book of Jude as He can on a 52 sermons series on Hell and Damnation.

Evangelism should be outside the church walls, training and "Biblical Education" should be going on inside the walls.

How do you feel about "alter calls" Dr. Bob?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Grasshopper, Do you think one should leave the 90 and 9 that needeth no repentance and go after that one lost sheep? Respectfully……

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wonderful verses but wondering what on earth they have to do with my local church today?

A banquet (picture of my need to share the Gospel with others) is not a church.

Pentecost (another outdoor evangelistic effort) is not a church.

My contention was/is that what is revealed about the church in the NT only shows believers present or directed at only believers.

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Point is some people think you can only get properly saved in a church. That's fine it works for them.But we need to witness,the church needs to welcome & offer opportunity for the unsaved.That's all I'm saying.

7. dawna marie

dawna marie New Member

I think the church has a resposbilty to get the gospel out to their neibourhoods. the body of belivers should be pointing unbelivers to jesus and for those who come to know Jesus as their savoir the body of belivers need to come together for fellowship and edification and for training . [​IMG]