1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is the Righteousness of God?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi JonC, discussing my behavior, rather than my positions, is inappropriate. It is using a logical fallacy, an against the man argument, in place of actual discussion.

Next, you deny addressing my behavior. But your post #76 is there for all to read.

I agree no one has referenced scripture where a man enters heaven. Here is the verse, Matthew 23:13, But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you shut off the kingdom of heaven from people; for you do not enter in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in.

Now you did say that my view of the verse was "eisegesis" but without providing any specifics. My view, of course concludes "those who are entering" and thus possessing sufficient spiritual ability to do so, were blocked, and thus indicating they were not being compelled with irresistible grace.

Neither you nor anyone else has offered an alternate view, but instead my view is referred to as asinine and eisegesis. Thus simply "taint so" obfuscation.

The point was not "about how the man entered the kingdom" (no one entered) but that they possessed sufficient spiritual ability to be entering. You still have not addressed this point.

This discuss is not about whether anyone enters the kingdom by his or her own efforts. My view on that point is clear, no one ever enters the kingdom by his or her own efforts, it is God who transfers us from the realm of darkness into the kingdom of His Son.

Now, if you would be so kind, please indicate how anyone could be "entering the kingdom of heaven" without some spiritual ability.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Van.

If you have taken my comments to be addressing your behavior then I do sincerely apologize. I understand that this type of communication can easily lead to false conclusions, but you are right that I have not paused to clarify at every turn a doctrine specifically addressed in rebuttal. One reason is that I believe you have made a fatal flaw in the OP (which we both discussed and departed maintaining our differences....and that's OK).

I also apologize if I have not made abundantly clear your eisegesis (but I will again point out that I never called you or your position asinine. In fact, I asked you to re-read my post so that you would see what was said and you declined. Repetition does not make fact). Insofar as eisegesis, I have repeatedly said that you are reading into the passage in Matthew. I have said that your conclusions are based on this error. I trust that you know what eisegesis means, but I am not sure how you are not connecting my comments. But we can simply move on from there and let bygones be bygones - I will try to be more careful in wording my responses so as not to address you or your beliefs but your comments.

Speaking of logical fallacies, Van....the comments that were typed under your user name presents a logical fallacy. It indicates that there are people who believe someone could be entering the kingdom of heaven without some spiritual ability. As I said, I am not a Calvinist. But I do know that Calvinism does not teach such nonsense. In fact, I know of no soteriological scheme that teaches people enter the kingdom of heaven without some spiritual ability. The question on your last post is asking people to defend what they reject. It is a foolish question. It may be interesting to explore if that ability is ontological to fallen man (we could look at Peter's confession of Christ which was dependent on the Spirit, for example), but that was not the question posed and I certainly don't want to guess your intent. As it reads, the question is not applicable to orthodox belief and should merely be dismissed.

3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So sad, that the only defense of Calvinism is obfuscation and ad homenim.

When a passage or verse by logical necessity requires a conclusion, that is not eisegesis.

Here is the bottom line, the doctrine of total spiritual inability is demonstrated to be mistaken by Matthew 23:13 where unregenerate people were entering heaven. They could not have been according to Calvinism unless they had been regenerated, but they could not have been regenerated by irresistible grace since they were blocked. It is an obvious observation, for which no answer has been provided.

Next, the doctrine of unconditional election is shown to be mistaken by 2 Thessalonians 2:13 where God chooses people for salvation through faith in the truth.

Next, the doctrine of Limited Atonement, as defined by Calvinism, is shown to be mistaken by 2 Peter 2:1 where people headed for destruction were bought by Christ.

And as indicated above the doctrine of irresistible grace is shown to be mistaken by Matthew 23:13.

Born anew believers become the righteousness of God after they undergo the circumcision of Christ, and arise in Christ a new creation.

#84 Van, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015
  5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus stated Himself that his death would be for the MANY, and hebrews restated that MANY would be saved and kept by Him, so you are saying that Jesus was wrong them on his assumptions?

And he also stated several times that none come to him on their own willpower, as confirmed by peter/Paul/John, so were all of them wrong in that also?

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the nonsense keeps rolling, in an effort to hide the obvious. Now I am accused of saying Jesus was wrong. Truth has no meaning on this forum.

In the construction, the many versus the one, the many refers to everyone except the one. Therefore, when scriptures says Jesus died for the many, that verse is saying Jesus died for everyone.

It is true no one is transferred into Christ from the realm of darkness by his or her own willpower. But that view is consistent with my biblical position.

Bottom line, everyone attempting to enter heaven is seeking God and His righteousness, whether by works, by faith in Christ, or by some mistaken combination. If God credits our faith in Christ as righteousness, God transfers us from the realm of darkness (in Adam) into the kingdom of His Son (in Christ).

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus saw His own death as atoning for the many, not the all, as did writer of hebrews, and God 'credits" to us the finished work of Jesus at the cross when we received him thru faith, and that faith only was means God had chosen to have that grace applied towards us, not that we get credit for doing anything!

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Jesus saw His own death as atoning for the many, not the all." This of course is fiction. No verse will be provided which says this falsehood. Jesus gave Himself as a ransom for all, 1 Timothy 2:6, tasted death for everyone, Hebrews 2:9, and is the propitiation or means of salvation for the whole world, all of fallen mankind 1 John 2:2. He bought even those who would never be saved, 2 Peter 2:1. Everyone God places spiritually into Christ becomes the "righteousness of God" in Him.

#88 Van, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015
  9. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am just amazed that you can write this stuff, presumably with a straight face.

Matt. 20:28. 'Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many,'

Mark 10:45. 'For even the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.'

Titus 2:13-14. 'Our great God and Saviour Jesus Christ who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works.'

If you want a sensible discussion as to how these texts should be interpreted in line with 1 Tim. 2:6, then I'm your man; but to trot out the same silly, discredited mantra time and time again helps no one and just makes you appear silly, and you're better than that.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I beg to differ.

11. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are certainly entitled to do so, but it might be helpful if you let us know from what you are begging to differ.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the scheme of things , he is not better than that....he is a sinner in rebellion ....as you have pointed out.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did God chose to place us into Christ right when we first beleived, or from eternity past though?

And jesus saw Himself as being the Chief Shepherd for just His own flock, not for all people, correct?

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All you need to do is read 2 Thessalonians 2:13, He chose for salvation through faith in the truth. Therefore when we believed during our lifetime and not before.

Those God places spiritually in Christ will not be cast out, each born anew believer belongs to Christ. We are His flock, and He says of us, My Sheep.

15. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are confused.
    2 Thes. 2:13. 'But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth.'

1. '....from the beginning.' That is from eternity past (Eph. 1:4; Titus 1:2 etc.).
    2. 'Chose you for salvation.' From out of fallen humanity God chose a certain number of people to be saved, and left the others in their wicked and sinful state. That is the nature of a choice; some are chosen and some are not. If you want to know why some and not others, read Deut. 7:6-8.

This is what God did in eternity past. Now we come to the means He used in time. Two are mentioned here:

3. 'Through sanctification by the Spirit.' In due time God the Holy Spirit moved in the hearts of those who had been chosen in eternity and turned their hearts of stone into hearts of flesh, setting them apart from the rest of mankind and causing them to take an interest in the things of God.
    4. '....and belief in the truth.' cf. also 1 Thes. 2:13. Having had their hearts opened by the Spirit (cf. Acts 16:14), the Thessalonians received the Gospel as the very word of God and were saved.

We are not justified in eternity, but we are chosen in eternity.

#95 Martin Marprelate, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2015
  16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin, 2 Thess. 2:13 is crystal clear. You deny the obvious.
    1) You do not know what "from the beginning" refers to, the beginning of creation, i.e. since creation, or from the beginning of the New Covenant.
    The term is ambiguous.
    2) Each and everyone chosen for salvation was chosen through faith in the truth. If you want to deny scripture means what it says, fine. I believe in scripture alone and not the inventions of men.
    3) Sanctification by the Spirit refers to the Holy Spirit baptizing us into Christ spiritually, setting us apart in Christ.
    4) On what basis did God choose us for salvation. Through faith in the truth. A conditional election during our lifetime after we believed.
    5) Note the effort to conflate Ephesians 1:4 (before the foundation of the world) with "from the beginning" (during and after creation or later.)
    6) Titus 1:2 refers to long ages ago, again referring to after creation because God was promising to His creation.

Verse after verse, no scripture actually supports Martin's view.

#96 Van, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2015
  17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not think we were actually in Christ, either as an existent entity of some sort, or as part of God's supposed individual election decree when per Ephesians 1:4 “we were chosen in Him before the foundation of the world.” I think Christ was chosen, because Christ existed and we were only chosen corporately as a consequence of God's choice of a Redeemer. When God chose His Redeemer, and formulated His plan of redemption and since no plan of God can be thwarted, we were chosen corporately as those the Redeemer would redeem. Later, after creation and during our physical lifetime, after we believed in Jesus as the Son of God, then we were specifically and individually chosen and set apart by being baptized into Christ, according to God's foreknow plan of redemption.

Some folks explain being chosen in Him as meaning we were chosen as specific foreseen individuals in anticipation of the salvation that would be available “in Him.” This seems to me to be an unnatural reading of the text. Rather the phrase “in Him” seems to me to describe how we were chosen. “We were chosen in Him” meaning He was chosen and in some manner we were seen as affiliated with Him and therefore in choosing Him we were chosen as a consequence. Therefore the “we” need not refer to specific individuals, but only corporately to believers in Christ that would subsequently be redeemed individually.

In summary, God chose His redeemer before the foundation of the world, and as a consequence God chose corporately those who the Redeemer would redeem as the target group of God’s redemption plan.

18. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I do know what it refers to. I know exactly. It is not in the least ambiguous. Look, Van, I don't want to be unkind, and I know how keen you are to shout, "Personal Attack!", but this is Exegesis 101. If you don't know this, you have no business trying to pass yourself off as a Bible teacher. Scripture interprets Scripture. I pointed out Eph. I;4 and Titus 1:2, both of which tell us that Christians were chosen in eternity. There are several other verses (eg. Eph. 3:11) that say the same thing. Get yourself a Thompson Chain Reference Bible and check them out.
    I agree with that absolutely. 'Faith in the truth' is the means that God uses to save His elect. But faith, like everything else in our salvation, is the gift of God.
    You have invented your own crackpot doctrine and are busily engaged in trying to pass it off on the more gullible souls on this board. The kindest thing I can say to you is to commend to you James 3:1.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Martin, if you would be so kind as to stop attacking me personally, it would be appreciated. Everyone knows the use of personal attacks indicates a lack of actual argument. You refer to my "own crackpot doctrine." If I described your views in such a manner, I would get an infraction in a New York minute.

1) I addressed both Ephesians 1:4 and Titus 1:2 and neither supports your view. But you ignored my rebuttal.

2) We are chosen, repeat chosen, through faith in the truth. The verse does not say we were saved through faith in the truth, but chosen. No need to rewrite the text or redefine the words to pour your doctrine into the text.

3) I am all for examining what "teachers" teach to see if it agrees with scripture. Your views do not.

20. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have three timescales given by Paul: 'Before the foundation of the world' (Eph. 1:4); 'From the beginning' (2 Thes. 2:13), and 'Before time began' (Titus 1:2), not to mention God's 'eternal purpose' of Eph. 3:11 and His 'everlasting love' of Jer. 31:3. Isn't it staggeringly obvious that all these timescales are the same and refer to God's setting His love on fallen men and women from before time began? God's plan of salvation was ready to go just as soon as Adam and Eve fell (Gen. 3:15). One Scripture gives the interpretation of another. You still don't seem to understand that.
    Well actually 2 Thes 2:13 says that we were chosen for salvation. Salvation means being saved, you know. :smilewinkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.