1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Is This Passage Talking About?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Marcia, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

My Bible teaches me that is still to come under the Sixth Seal.

2. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Do you believe that signs follow them who believe as Jesus said in Mark 16?

BTW, Your grandfather was a good man. God bless you for continuing in the work.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You said they were all fulfilled except the one of Act 2:20 highlighted in red which you said still is going on well that is what is called "cherry picking".

In truth they all are still going on or yet to come!!!

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You never said if all nations are still flowing into the Lord's house?

Mark 16
    16: He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
    17: And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
    18: They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
    19: So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
    20: And they went forth, and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

Yes and please answer the above given by GerShom.

#24 Brother Bob, Jun 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2006
  5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that the miracles in Mark 16 were signs for the purpose of establishing the church. I do believe that we can see miracles today by answer to prayer.

Thanks for the good word about Grandad. Hopefully I'm getting my feet into even just a few of his footprints.:)

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You can start by answering my question. :)

I thought Jesus established the Church?

Romans, chapter 15

"18": For I will not dare to speak of any of those things which Christ hath not wrought by me, to make the Gentiles obedient, by word and deed,

"19": Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.

#26 Brother Bob, Jun 19, 2006
  7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No sir, I did NOT say this. (Why do people on this thread insist on attributing to me things I never said??? :mad: ) What I said was that the verse was fulfilled in Acts 2, but Paul quoted it in Romans by application. I'm sure that being a preacher of many years of experience you understand the difference between interpretation and application, right?

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see where this passage has anything to do with Acts 2. Peter didn't quote it.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Why you so bitter? Are you in a bind?

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You the one who said when it happend it was fulfilled and all nations have already flowed into it and still are so that is what it has to do with what Peter said unless it makes a difference if someone else said it?

You for sure said this but never have provided Scripture for it.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I beg your pardon? I'm sorry if I gave the impression I'm bitter. Was it the little angry face that gave that impression? I thought I was just responding to the posts. I'm not bitter at anyone, least of all you, Brother Bob! I'm rejoicing in the Lord!:wavey:

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Your quote that says how a prophecy if fulfilled and why Isaaih has to do with Peter.

we are not saying it was fulfilled more than once. we are saying that was the beginning of the fulfillment.

#32 Brother Bob, Jun 19, 2006
  13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course Jesus established the church--through His apostles!

Folks, I've really been enjoying the byplay here, but I'm out of time. I am in the middle of a very busy day here in Japan, and have to bow out for now.

God bless.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Upon this "Rock" I build My Church.

15. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

But Jesus doesn't give such an explanation. He simply says that these signs will follow believers.

I would say that Joel 2 speaks of prophetic signs that lead to or happen before the Day of the Lord. Has the Day of the Lord come? If not, it would not be unusual for these things to be still occuring. Like when Jesus spoke of earthquakes and wars and rumors of wars. These things are still taking place as they lead to the ultimate fulfillment of when Jesus returns.

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Just curious Bro Bob, what would be your interpretation of Mat 11:13? "For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John."

I am of the understanding there is no longer a need to propehsy since the word became flesh and dwelt among us??? We are not really foretelling of the coming kingdom or the last days, we have them written and we believe.

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

LeBuick;
    The Law and the Prophets were until John and since then The Kingdom of Heaven is being preached.

I do differ with this Scripture with most of my brethren for they believe that means the Law and Prophets stopped then but I don't.

I believe The Law and Prophets is what they had but now we not only have the Law and The Prophets but we have Christ.

I hear brethren preach about the Prophets all the time and their prophseys but some want to leave the Commandments out of it (Law) I find Jesus Himself preaching The Law and The Prophets and come and follow me. It says He came to fulfill those things spoken of Him in the books of:

Luke, chapter 24

Chapter
    Book

"44": And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

It was written that the Deliverer would come. Even He said not one jot or tittle shall pass until heaven and earth pass.

Matthew, chapter 5

Chapter
    Book

"18": For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I'm not completely following your argument, the verse says, "shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled". Is this not the law that Christ fulfilled?

As for the law, yes we still follow the law but we are no longer bound by the law as our means of salvation. This is because there is no penalty to those who are in Christ Jesus. He has paid the proce for our transgressions against the law. This says we don't follow the law in order to be saved, we follow the law because we are saved.

Then Jesus simplified it for his people;
    Mat
    [36] Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
    [37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    [38] This is the first and great commandment.
    [39] And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    [40] On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Jn
    [34] A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
    [35] By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Can you detail what further need we have for prophesy or prophets?

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Preaching is prophesying so you think we don't need preachers?

He is plainly telling us that he did not come to fulfill or do away with the Law of the Commandments and the two He gave that you quoted. It is impossible to keep those two without keeping the rest. The law He came to fulfill is the sacrificial offering and Common Law under Moses, not the Law of the Commandments.
    No, the Law does not give eternal Life and never did but reveals sin as sin. Yea I would of not known sin except the Commandment saith, "thou shalt not commit adultery".
    Luke, chapter 24

Chapter
    Book

"44": And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

He fulfilled the things written concerning Him.

Go ye into the whole world and preach the Gospel to every creature and He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved.

Main Entry: proph·e·cy [​IMG]
    1 : an inspired utterance of a prophet
    2 : the function or vocation of a prophet; specifically : the inspired declaration of divine will and purpose
    3 : a prediction of something to come

example: Flee the wrath of God which is to come
    Jesus is coming back
    If you die in your sin where I am you can not come
    etc.

#39 Brother Bob, Jun 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2006
  20. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

No

Yes

No

Sounds like dispensationalism which says one day the New Covenant ends and there will be a return to Temple rituals. But the Bible says:

Eph 3:21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

When Peter says “This is that” what do you suppose he means? I do not believe it was all fulfilled on Pentecost but would be fulfilled before the "last days" ended.

Those visions were a last days event. The last days did not end at Pentecost.
    1Co 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
    1Co 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
    1Co 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

The New Covenant by which men can call upon the name of the Lord and be saved was established in the “last days”.

Heb 12:22 But you have come to MountZion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,