1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Is This Passage Talking About?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Marcia, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you insired?
    Do you make predictions of thing to come?

If not, then you are not a prophet by your own definitions.

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Are you a preacher and if so and not inspired then you are no preacher.

2 Corinthians, chapter 12

"1": It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.

"2": I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.

"3": And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)

"4": How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

"5": Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.

"6": For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.

"7": And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

Galatians, chapter 1
    "10": For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

"11": But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

"12": For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Grasshopper a good name!

3. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

So you equate yourself with Paul. You are just as inspired as the NT writers?

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The beginning of that prophecy! Certainly not the end. How you can even suggest it was the end is beyond me!

What days do you think we are living in???
    You just destroyed your whole argument with this quote! Paul was saying that prophecy continues here. I don't think you know what you read.

#44 Brother Bob, Jun 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2006
  5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No, but my revelations of preaching comes from the same source and I am glad to prophesy that it hopely will continue.

Your responses just don't make sense to me. Maybe you have another approach I could understand better?

So, I guess that makes me a prophet?

proph·et
    1 : one who utters divinely inspired revelations; specifically often capitalized : the writer of one of the prophetic books of the Old Testament
    2 : one gifted with more than ordinary spiritual and moral insight; especially : an inspired poet
    3 : one who foretells future events : [SIZE=-1]PREDICTOR[/SIZE]
    4 : an effective or leading spokesman for a cause, doctrine, or group

#45 Brother Bob, Jun 20, 2006
  6. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

You really don’t read what people write do you? Where did I say Pentecost was the end of anything?

The New Covenant days. Clearly not the “last days”. “last days” don’t last 2000 years.

Perhaps because I believe “that which is perfect” has come. That being the New Covenant.

If you don’t equate yourself with Paul, then why did you use that passage as your proof that you’re a prophet? Is your preaching without error? Does God give you new Revelation?

7. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

1. So you are without error?
    2. Is anyone a prophet? Am I? What if two prophets disagree.
    3. Predict something since you are a PREDICTOR.

I think you realize you have been caught, but refuse to backoff your hyperbolic statement.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I have given you Scripture to back up everything I have said. You have given nothing to refute it, except to say Paul said "this is that". That is no end to anything.

4 : an effective or leading spokesman for a cause, doctrine, or group
    If you are this then you are a prophet. I guess you know there are false prophets though?

#49 Brother Bob, Jun 20, 2006
  10. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Interesting, #4 wasn't on your original list of qualifications:

Main Entry: proph·e·cy
    1 : an inspired utterance of a prophet
    2 : the function or vocation of a prophet; specifically : the inspired declaration of divine will and purpose
    3 : a prediction of something to come

Why did you add #4? Do you not meet the requirements of 1-3? You realize Jim Jones the Pope and every other cult leader fits #4?

Let me guess, a false prophet is defined as one who disagrees with you?

Now for my questions:

1. Are you without error? Do prophets err?
    2. What have you Predicted since you proclaim to be a PREDICTOR?
    3. Why did you quote Paul, if you did not mean to compare yourself with him?

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I see, so you use revelations, prophesies and preaching interchangeably. I guess this is where I got lost.

I have always considered prophesy your third definition which was foretelling of things to come. We no longer have to foretel as we have it all written in the word. Revelations are things revealed as in the book of Revelations. Interesting...

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Now for my questions:

1. prophets do not error when in the Spirit and Revelations of Christ. When in the flesh, yes we all error from time to time but not because we want to but have the same thorn in the flesh that Paul had.

2. I have prophesied that Jesus is coming back to redeem His people. I have prophesied that there is a wrath of God to be poured out on this earth and you can escape it by believing in Jesus and being born again.
    3. Paul was sent to the Gentle as our example. I baptize as he did, I preach as he did, I worship God as he did and I prophesy as he did. I also get my preaching by revelations of the Scriptures as he did and not by the wisdom of man but of God. Where do you get yours?

Now all this discussion of Prophecies stopped at Pentecostal but you your self said they continue. Why are you talking both ways. I do not understand, maybe you can enlighten me?

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

LeBuick;
    Don't you believe Christ revelates the minds of His preachers and gives them understanding of the Scriptures. Have you ever meditated on Scriptures for months and then you receive the answer? I don't know how you preach ,if you write down your sermons or what and no harm meant but I preach by revelations of the Scriptures in the Spirit. If I am not lifted up in the Spirit then all I am doing is telling my congregation the Scripture but if I be lifted up in the Spirit then I feel I am just an instrument of God and that it is his revelations of the Scriptures that I deliver. Does that make any sense to you or not?

#53 Brother Bob, Jun 20, 2006
  14. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

So Paul also erred? The thorn in the flesh caused Paul to err?

So basically repeating scripture is prophecy? If so, everyone is a prophet. We disagree on what a prophet is.

Paul got his directly from God. You get yours, just like everyone else, from scripture.

I never said they stopped at Pentecost, that is why you don’t understand.

Why did you add #4?
    It does fit you however.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You think the Apostles were perfect? Why did Peter deny the Lord. Why did Paul fall out with Barnabus. They were not Jesus but men and followers of Christ and yes the thorn in the flesh was a messenger of Satan that Paul had to contend with.

I think preaching is much more than just quoting Scriptures. You have a congregation before you and anyone can read Scripture but to receive how to put those Scriptures together to paint a picture so the people can see and understand is only by revelations. "think not what you shall say but it will be given you in the self same hour." "open your mouth wide and I will fill it". I feel for you that you can not feel what I do.

Why did I add 4;
    To be honest I didn't realize I did I had the dictionary open before me and typed it again, but I answered "yes" to the others so what does it matter?

1 Corinthians, chapter 2

Chapter
    Book

"4": And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

Romans, chapter 16

"25": Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

"26": But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

This is how I preach and prophesy!

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Yes, in fact that verse in Jonah is wearing me out now. I don't usually write manuscripts unless the LORD has given me a lot of meat before hand but I usually take bones (notes) to the pulpit and let the spirit put on the meat. I have also been known to preach expository where I will pace the center isle with my bible in hand.

I just never defined this as prophesy. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just praying on the subject.

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

LeBuick:
    Sounds good to me and that is what fills my soul. Preaching that way is letting the Lord do the leading and we do the following. To tell a congregation all about Jesus and that He is coming back to pass judgement on the world and redeem His children, why would that not be prophesying? How would daughters prophesy if it was not telling the world that Jesus is the Saviour and he is coming again and if they don't have him they will be lost? Amen, I will pray for you too, I am very pleased to hear of how you preach.:praying:

#57 Brother Bob, Jun 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2006
  18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I appreciate all the replies, but I'm still not real clear on this passage. Guess I will have to really study it one day and read some commentaries.

As for prophesying, my understanding is that in the OT to prophecy is to speak God's word and truth and this sometimes included predictions given by God, but in the NT, to prophesy is to speak out the truth of God's word and does not include prediction of future events.

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Marcia;
    You are saying it includes the telling of the second coming of Christ to redeem His people are you not?

20. Mel Miller

Mel Miller New Member

What is Joel talking about?

Friends,

This whole discussion has been confusing by failing to distinguish
    between the "forthtelling and foretelling" aspects of prophecy.

Brother Bob seems to not realize the difference between Paul and
    himself with reference to what God has revealed to the Church.

Bob, I don't wish to pick on you; but as a minister of the Word,
    you should have shown Marcia the obvious difference here. :wavey:

Mel www.lastday.net