1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is traducianism?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by BibleBob, Sep 2, 2003.

1. BibleBob

BibleBob New Member

What is traducianism? I saw this mentioned in a post by Pastor Larry in this forum and i'm curious as to what it is.
    In Christ,
    Bob

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Traducianism is the view that the human being (including sin nature) comes into existence at conception. The "creation of human life" is not a direct miracle of God nor does man have a pre-existing soul.

3. BibleBob

BibleBob New Member

Thanks alot.

4. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

Many prefer traducianism to creationism (direct miracle of God) because they feel that it helps to account for transmission of sin from parents to offspring.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

6. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    traducianism? as far as i can recall, it comes in contrary against creationism. the pivotal difference between the two is that: traducianism believes that the soul, though immaterial, is produced (or developed) in the womb, while creationism believes that the soul is imputed by God.

creationism is better supported by scriptures. the time of the God's imputation of the soul to an individual, however, varies. some believe it is during conception while others (which includes me) believes that the soul is imputed by God at birth.

as far as the issue of the sin nature, the parents transmit the sin nature to their offspring seminally. while, on the other hand, God imputes Adam's sin to the born individual.

7. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Actually, that is not traducianism. Traducianism affirms the existence of the soul at conception, not at "full term."

I am however interested in what this guy would say about premature babies?? Do they not have souls until they are full term??

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Scripture teaches that God rested from his creative work on the seventh day. Therefore, he is no longer constantly participating in creative work as your "creationism" would require. LEt me briefly summarize some notes I have.

Creationism:
    1. Makes God the direct author of sinful souls.
    2. It destroys the unity of the huuan race. The race descended from Adam as people, not just bodies. Creationism makes each person of independent origin rather than unified under Adam.

Traducianism is supported by:
    1. The Unity of the Human Race (Acts 17:26; Heb 7:9-10; Gen 5:3). The image of God comes from the Father. The "person" is the whole person (both material and immaterial). Creationism destroys this unity by asserting a different origin for the body and soul.

2. Inherited depravity -- Job 14:1, 4; John 15:14; Ps 51:5; Ps 58:3; John 3:6

3. Cessation of creation -- Creationism necessitates an ongoing work of creation, something ruled out by God's rest after the Creation in Gen 1. The power to procreate is dependent on God's preserving work by which he upholds the universe with all of its processes and laws.

Which mitigates against your own position. The sin nature is transmitted seminally (as I agree with). The sin nature rests in teh immaterial part however, not the material part. If, as you say, God created the immaterial part, then he created the sin nature and the sin nature is not transmitted seminally. If the sin nature is transmitted seminally, then the immaterial has to be a part of the procreative process, which is what I say.

I am writing quickly so my wording is rough and not precise. I reserve the right to clarify things I may have oversimplified ... :D However, while there are some theologians who hold to creationism, I do not think it really stands up well in the end.